Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Head movement

Any good advice on this? It's boxing fundamentals that you hear non-stop yet you dont see tomany guys that seem to have that great of headmovement.

side to side? back and forth? It should be small cycle of movement until actually reacting to a punch correct?

What do you say?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Head movement

vary it up...try not to get timed and if you do change tactics....

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I say dont move the head to be honest
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well moving the body does bring the head along for a ride...i was thinking more like using whole body movement to slip, not just flop the head wildly about...that may cause neck strain after a few rounds...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its the other way round but youre on the right lines Ice the body is designed to support the head and its wishes its where all concuios response comes from and its the bodys job to respond to keep the heads stability for analitic response cc
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I prefer to use my arms for defense. pick shots off and counter. use the legs for slipping punches . strong legs are very important . a novice mistake made by many seasoned fighters is bending forward at the waist taking the eye off the opponent,, even for split second , the mistake can have devastating consequence . a mistake that will cost you some day guarantee . you pop up and then bam.. a left hook you never saw coming. Jeremy Williams made that mistake vs. Sam Peter, Peter damn near knocked his head clean off,.. also Joey Gamche made the same mistake vs. Gatti years back if I remember correctly.? many other examples .. . a fighter is better off taking the punch str8 on , and seeing it coming. regardless of your defense always maintain eye contact. any position you put yourself in where you cant see the other mans shot is ill advised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I dont actually move my head by moving my neck, I always keep it in the same strong spot.

I try to dip with my knees, twist slightly with the torso and move the head by using the body.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym
    I prefer to use my arms for defense. pick shots off and counter. use the legs for slipping punches . strong legs are very important . a novice mistake made by many seasoned fighters is bending forward at the waist taking the eye off the opponent,, even for split second , the mistake can have devastating consequence . a mistake that will cost you some day guarantee . you pop up and then bam.. a left hook you never saw coming. Jeremy Williams made that mistake vs. Sam Peter, Peter damn near knocked his head clean off,.. also Joey Gamche made the same mistake vs. Gatti years back if I remember correctly.? many other examples .. . a fighter is better off taking the punch str8 on , and seeing it coming. regardless of your defense always maintain eye contact. any position you put yourself in where you cant see the other mans shot is ill advised.
    I was studying the Marquez/Vasquez fight a few weeks ago and I noticed one of those moments that just make you shake your head. Here's how I remember it:

Marquez is pressured against the ropes and ducks under a big right hand and is now in a perfect position to counter with a hard left hook to either Vasquez's head and liver. There was just one itsy-bitsy problem... HIS EYES WERE NOT ON HIS OPPONENT! Consequently he couldn't take advantage of the openings given to him by his opponent's bad position. And just as oblivious was his opponent, take look at Vasquez. Although he misses with his right hand, he's loaded to throw a terrific left hook while his Marquez is looking off to the side with his head wide open. Instead after he recovers his balance he just takes a step back and continues like it's just a sparring session...

I hate to see bad tendencies like these done by professionals, and that was just one instance that look place just after 20 seconds into the fight.

I still think that bending at the waist has a time and a place, I'd still keep my eyes on my opponent of course, and while I waver under their punches I'd keep a sharp eye for the opening and then catch them by surprise.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris .. its a common mistake , usually fatigue related. instead of bending at the knee , the waist is much easier ..everyone has done it...you want to limit those type mistakes .. especially at the higher level , where your more likley to pay for it. ...

sparring with the head gear is a good example , it shifts on you for a second thus you field of vison is obstructed and then bam... what the hell was that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And how that saying goes, "It's the punch that you don't see coming that..."

If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tendaii
    Any good advice on this? It's boxing fundamentals that you hear non-stop yet you dont see tomany guys that seem to have that great of headmovement.

side to side? back and forth? It should be small cycle of movement until actually reacting to a punch correct?

What do you say?
    Roll

Thread Information