Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fighters Where You Disliked Them As A Person But Was A Fan Of There Skills.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fighters Where You Disliked Them As A Person But Was A Fan Of There Skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Kel
    Quote Originally Posted by slk123
    Ali
    Tyson
    Toney
    VargasCamacho
    RJJ
    Judah
    In the ring he was fantastic to watch, I totally agree......shame he was rushed into fights with elite (and much more experienced) guys so early in his career. I still respect him above many for his courage in the ring.
    I agree. His career would have gone much farther if not pushed so fast. His problem was his power. Everyone thought that was going to be enough to carry him.

ICB Guest

Default Re: Fighters Where You Disliked Them As A Person But Was A Fan Of There Skills.

Ali
    Tyson
    Toney
    VargasCamacho
    RJJ
    Judah
    In the ring he was fantastic to watch, I totally agree......shame he was rushed into fights with elite (and much more experienced) guys so early in his career. I still respect him above many for his courage in the ring.
    I agree. His career would have gone much farther if not pushed so fast. His problem was his power. Everyone thought that was going to be enough to carry him.
    I don't really see how he could of done much better he beat Wright, Quartey, and just fell shot against elites like Tito, Oscar, Mosley, even if he would of had these match ups in the later stages of his career i don't see it making any difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Ali
    Tyson
    Toney
    VargasCamacho
    RJJ
    Judah
    I don't really see how he could of done much better he beat Wright, Quartey, and just fell shot against elites like Tito, Oscar, Mosley, even if he would of had these match ups in the later stages of his career i don't see it making any difference.
    I did some checking back in to the records of some other well known fighters and it looks like I was wrong. Of the guys I looked up, most of them had a "step up" kind of a fight in and around the same number of fights and number of years pro. Now, they weren't step up fights to the likes of Winky but still.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vargas was the best up and comming fighter I have ever seen. He was pushed fast and achieved a lot but if he was more "carefully" managed he would have had a longer career and maybe have been more successful but nothing is guaranteed. Some fighters need to be pushed quickly because they will self destruct if they are not kept busy ala Tyson, others would get bored and be unmotivated if they had no challenge which may have been the case for Vargas.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master
    Vargas was the best up and comming fighter I have ever seen. He was pushed fast and achieved a lot but if he was more "carefully" managed he would have had a longer career and maybe have been more successful but nothing is guaranteed. Some fighters need to be pushed quickly because they will self destruct if they are not kept busy ala Tyson, others would get bored and be unmotivated if they had no challenge which may have been the case for Vargas.
    Maybe a longer career but i don't see him doing better than what he done like i said in previous post he beat Wright and Quartey in good fashion then lost to prime Tito and to be honest Vargas at any stage in his career would lose to prime Tito and losing to Oscar and Mosley twice these fighters are the elite of the elite Vargas could not of beaten any of these fighters even if they would of put Vargas in with these guys at later stage in Vargas's career it wouldn't of made a difference but i respect Vargas he gave us some exciting fights but just fell short against the elites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe a longer career but i don't see him doing better than what he done like i said in previous post he beat Wright and Quartey in good fashion then lost to prime Tito and to be honest Vargas at any stage in his career would lose to prime Tito and losing to Oscar and Mosley twice these fighters are the elite of the elite Vargas could not of beaten any of these fighters even if they would of put Vargas in with these guys at later stage in Vargas's career it wouldn't of made a difference but i respect Vargas he gave us some exciting fights but just fell short against the elites.
    I've never been a Vargas fan...basically due to how he handled & acted towards Oscar...one thing's for sure...while I do agree he looked good agaist a prime Quartey...he surely didn't beat Winky Wright in good fashion.

Rewatch that one.

That was one hack assed decision right there.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vargas could have been an elite fighter if he was managed better and more carefully. He was that good. Considering Oscar showed and Hopkins proved that Tito was beatable, a more experienced Vargas may not have rushed recklessly at Tito and lost the fight in the first round. Remembering that he did knock Tito in the fifth. Also against Oscar, a more experienced Vargas may have paced himself better. Also he may have moved up in weight and have some sort of career at middleweight rather than be weakened making the light middle limit which contributed a lot to Vargas losing the fights against Mosley. This is all with hindsight but it could have been different and Vargas being more successful.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    I've never been a Vargas fan...basically due to how he handled & acted towards Oscar...one thing's for sure...while I do agree he looked good agaist a prime Quartey...he surely didn't beat Winky Wright in good fashion.

Rewatch that one.

I watched that one twice Wacko i even had that in my controversial decisions thread Vargas imo won the fight he won all championship rounds i don't think it was a robbery i could see arguement either way there was few rounds that were close about 3 of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rewatch that one.

I watched that one twice Wacko i even had that in my controversial decisions thread Vargas imo won the fight he won all championship rounds i don't think it was a robbery i could see arguement either way there was few rounds that were close about 3 of them.
    Yep...I happen to own that fight & watch it religiously.

My whole thing is this...they gave Vargas that fight by MD & that's just bullshit.

I can't recall the exact scores off the top of me noggin...but they were off by either a point or two & then one judge had it a draw. It may have been 1 point each...but no more than two...but again, I could be mistaken as I aint poppin it in for discussion's sake, at the moment Wacko is hung watchin My Lil' Pony courtesy of my glorious 3 year old.

The main thing that bothered me (besides watching MLP) was the cheerleading. I know that Merchant loves Vargas & Lampley generally follows suit...but they were applauding Vargas for shots that he was landing on Wright's mitts & forearms. They know better than that.

The only thing that Vargas had going for him was the fact that Wright aint a KO puncher...it'd been his ass if that were the case. Although Wright did fade in rounds 11 & 12...I just don't think that it was enough to keep him from getting the nod.

Going into the bout I knew that Wright wouldn't get the lean...& that's a shame because generally Wright has to FIGHT for his wins & no one recogz that.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

ICB Guest

Rewatch that one.

Yep...I happen to own that fight & watch it religiously.

My whole thing is this...they gave Vargas that fight by MD & that's just bullshit.

I can't recall the exact scores off the top of me noggin...but they were off by either a point or two & then one judge had it a draw. It may have been 1 point each...but no more than two...but again, I could be mistaken as I aint poppin it in for discussion's sake, at the moment Wacko is hung watchin My Lil' Pony courtesy of my glorious 3 year old.

The main thing that bothered me (besides watching MLP) was the cheerleading. I know that Merchant loves Vargas & Lampley generally follows suit...but they were applauding Vargas for shots that he was landing on Wright's mitts & forearms. They know better than that.

The only thing that Vargas had going for him was the fact that Wright aint a KO puncher...it'd been his a** if that were the case. Although Wright did fade in rounds 11 & 12...I just don't think that it was enough to keep him from getting the nod.

Going into the bout I knew that Wright wouldn't get the lean...& that's a shame because generally Wright has to FIGHT for his wins & no one recogz that.
    Heres my scorecard Wacko.

1 Vargas
    2 Wright
    3 Wright
    4 Vargas
    5 Wright
    6 Wright
    7 Vargas
    8 Wright
    9 Wright
    10 Vargas
    11 Vargas
    12 Vargas

114-114 draw

Great fight some great inside fighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What amuzed me the most about the Vargas Wright fight was the fact that Wright went toe to toe with Vargas & busted him up just as much as Vargas did Wright.

Vargas was supposed to score a stoppage as far as Merchant was concerned...the back pedalling was quite humerous.

Thread Information