Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: OH MAN WHAT AN EXPERIENCE TODAY AT THE LONDON PRESS CONFERENCE!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default OH MAN WHAT AN EXPERIENCE TODAY AT THE LONDON PRESS CONFERENCE!!

Despite me calling the o2 centre yesterday and them telling me it was strictly a media only event, I decided to venture down there with one of my friends. What a great desision that was!!
    So we're walking towards the vue theatre and we're greeted by a few security guards at the bottom of the escalators. 'Sorry guys, media only.' So we just moped around a bit feeling sorry for ourselves and filling out surveys for the staff at the Vue cinema when all of a sudden an American lady emerged at the top of the escalators. 'Let them ALL in!!' she shouted from the top, 'it will look much better for T.V!!'
    Oh man we were like kids in a candy store when we heard that..we're going up the escalators telling each other how cool this is etc.
    We got to the auditorium and the woman tells us to sit right at the front!! So we're in the 2nd row buzzing with excitement..they first show an awesome trailer on the cinema screen for 'undefeated'. Then they show Ricky taking dance lessons (a joke skit). Then Oscar De La Hoya is announced! I'm there nearly pissing myself with excitement..I couldn't help but let out an 'Orale!' when it all went quiet which made him smile. Some idiot had a mariachi band as his ringtone and kept playing it when Oscars name was mentioned (Ricky Hatton turned to Oscar at one point at the press conference and said 'what a dickhead' whilst laughing).
    Oscar said a few words after which Ricky Hatton was announced. I was impressed with Ricky, a really nice guy and funny to boot. Nowhere near as charismatic as Floyd but still a kool dude! Then Floyd was announced..made his entrance wrapped in a union jack flag lol. Walked down and tried to get a reaction with the union jack flag but I must say I was pissed off with how unresponsive the London crowd were in general..I'm sure Oscar and Floyd are gonna go home thinking 'Fucking Uptight London pricks!'..and probably Ricky too!
    Anyway, after all the promoters, HBO, teams etc spoke of the event it was time for the fighters to take centre stage! This was where the fun began! Hatton was first on stage..by this time Mayweathers entourage (sp?) had took his 5 WBC belts to him and Hattons opening line was 'bloody hell Floyd, I wish you hadn't brought all your belts out i think i've just shit meself!!'. That got a good response lol. He said a few bits and bobs..to be honest I was just waiting for Floyd.
    Anyway Floyd was next..after the clapping had died down I had to let slip again..'Creme De La Creme!!'..he paused for a moment and looked at me smiling 'Creme De La Creme..You know what that is?'..I shouted 'Yeah you Floyd!', he smiled and said 'I love my British fans!'
    He proceeded to make his speech, promising to go toe to toe with Ricky. Anyway after which it was question time! 'Media Only' it was stated. So the lady who let us in asked the crowd 'any questions?'. All of a sudden the media were so fucking shy! I thought fuck it this guy is my idol i'm gonna ask him a question. I put my hand up and she said 'yes you..ohh you're not media are you? Media only!'. This prompted a really funny look from Floyd and he looked and said 'Hold up, why Media only??' he then looked at me and said 'Stand up man! Ask me your question'. I stood up but the prick with the microphone left me standing for ages and just completely went round me to some other member of the media! Floyd looked confused as well. I'm sorry but whatever is said of Floyd he is the nicest fucking guy in real life and so so appreciative of his fans.
    Then it was time for the stare down! Man this was great..Ricky did a lot better than he did in L.A! Obviously Floyd was the aggresor as he normally is in verbal fights but Ricky got in some good counters! (Opposite of what will happen fight night i'd imagine! lol) Floyd asked 'I'm 147 now! How much do you weight now Fatton!?' to which Hatton responded '174'. It was funnier with Ricky's delivery. Then Floyd was talking about how he was gonna tear Hatton's ass up and Hatton responded 'What is this fasination with my arse Floyd!?'. Good stuff..Good good stuff!
    Then it was time for media interviews and t.v interviews. This was very interesting and i'm not lying when I say this but there was a much bigger crowd of media around Floyd than there was Ricky. The guy was so entertaining and it wasn't tasteless stuff regardless of what people say about Floyd. I think 2 old gentleman reporters who must have been between 60 and 80 years old summed it up the best as they walked away from Floyd's desk. ''He's actually a very pleasant young man isn't he?'', one said to the other.

To sum it up:-

*I was very impressed with Ricky and the way he conducted himself..I'm a bigger fan of him now. Cool jokes too. Drags his speeches on a bit too much though and covers the same ground.
    * I'm an even bigger fan of Floyd than I was before..What a truely fan friendly guy. He was appreciative of me the whole press conference and even tried helping me ask a question. Also recognised me as 'Heyyy Creme de la Creme!' when he spotted me after the media interviews lol. He made the press conference a truely entertaining spectacle.
    *The crowd sucked in this place..they almost wanted to suck the life out of the whole conference!! At one point (and this was a classic moment) the lights dimmed to introduce Mark Taffey the HBO guy (I think it was him anyway) and because the crowd were so silent it almost become awkward. Anyway all you hear is somebody singing 'There's onnnllly onnnne Ricky Hattttton'..the lights come back on and Oscar has a massive grin on his face! lol He obviously wanted to break the awkward silence. I'm glad I was as vocal as I was..I think the fighters appreciated it to be honest even if the rest of the press looked at me as though I was a dickhead!
    * I have TONS of video footage that I will put on youtube when I get home from work!! Got some really good footage! I'm so annoyed though, I thought I had footage of when Mayweather recognised me from the desk and said 'Heyyyy creme de la creme!' but I cut it off just before that point!
    *I left with one of the props. I asked the lady if I could have the 'Floyd Mayweather' sign where he was sitting at the desk and she said yes so I got a souvenir as well (my friend got the Ricky Hatton) one.

What an experience, memories of a lifetime. The staredown was breathtaking!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: OH MAN WHAT AN EXPERIENCE TODAY AT THE LONDON PRESS CONFERENCE!!

Wow great story both guys sound like good people outside of all the build up attempts. I once talked to a guy that works out at the same 24 hour fitness that floyd shows up to now and again in vegas and he said pretty much the same...that floyd is nothing like the image he puts out there and that he is actually a extremly nice person.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Awesome read bro', big CC to ya'!! I would have loved to hear Ricky counter Floyd's weight question by saying 174; lmao. I would imagine even Floyd thought that was funny. Can't wait for your vid's.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC,very interesting read!! I the love the part ith the arse and Hatton's response!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bro interesting read. About time we had a UK answer to CutMEMick who can upload pics of his meetings with the boxing luminaries.

Do you wear shades as well?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man Congrats to ya for both gettin in and then actually contributing while u were there.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm going to upload my friends pictures first from the conference. I did leave one of my video's uploading today on youtube but i can't find the link at work. i'm guessing my mum got home and switched my computer off as she does because i'm 'wasting electricity'
    I'll upload it again tonight..its awesome guys. It has the 2 jokes where Ricky says he's 174 and when Floyd is saying 'Its your ass Ricky, December 8th it's your ass!!' and Hatton fires back with his other joke lol.
    Pictures coming in a little while!

Thread Information