Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I really like Hatton but I think he is blowing it.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I really like Hatton but I think he is blowing it.

I don't really get all this legacy bashing on either side.

It's a FACT that BOTH Mayweather and Hatton have beaten some of the best guys in the world.

They both have impressive records. NOBODY has a better record than Floyd that's why he's NUMBER 1 and NO LIGHT WELTERWEIGHT has a better record than Ricky Hatton that's why he's regarded as the number 1 at 140 lbs.

This is a big win for either fighter and a legitimate opponent for either.

Those criticising Floyd for fighting Baldimor when he was undisputed champ who else was he supposed to fight? Mosely wasn't at 147 then, Oscar wasn't ready, Cotto hasn't reached his potential yet and Margarito was unproven, and in retrospect not the monstrous challenge people thought he was anyway.

Those criticising Ricky who else could he have fought? Cotto that's it. He's beaten the best out there in Kosta Tszyu and now he's going after Floyd.

Ricky is far and away the most ambitious British boxer since Lennox Lewis so why knock him?

Cmon people give both of them their props

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

It's a FACT that BOTH Mayweather and Hatton have beaten some of the best guys in the world.

They both have impressive records. NOBODY has a better record than Floyd that's why he's NUMBER 1 and NO LIGHT WELTERWEIGHT has a better record than Ricky Hatton that's why he's regarded as the number 1 at 140 lbs.

Those criticising Floyd for fighting Baldimor when he was undisputed champ who else was he supposed to fight? Mosely wasn't at 147 then, Oscar wasn't ready, Cotto hasn't reached his potential yet and Margarito was unproven, and in retrospect not the monstrous challenge people thought he was anyway.

Those criticising Ricky who else could he have fought? Cotto that's it. He's beaten the best out there in Kosta Tszyu and now he's going after Floyd.

Ricky is far and away the most ambitious British boxer since Lennox Lewis so why knock him?

Well said

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

Well said
    Cheers buddy I think there are too many people here who take a very shortsighted view of the fightgame.

The truly big fights imo shouldn't happen too quickly. I'm glad we havn't seen Mayweather Hatton or Cotto against either Mayweather or Hatton before now becuase it builds up the supsense.

Floyd is at a point in his career where's he top of the tree and wants the megafights. He's not scared of a single fighter out there but he wants to fight the best at the best time for the most money.

It would have been foolish to fight Cotto or Margarito instead of Baldimor. Baldimor was the undipsuted champ, and Cotto and Margarito both represents 'potential' future mega paydays. As it panned out Margarito got exposed so a win for Floyd would have done nothing for his legacy whilst Cotto is coming along nicely.

The winner of Cotto Mosely will be an extrememly attractive fight for both Floyd financially and boxing fans across the world.

Like most things in life, it's much better to wait.

Oh and cc returned.

SigmaMu Guest

Well said
    Cheers buddy I think there are too many people here who take a very shortsighted view of the fightgame.

The truly big fights imo shouldn't happen too quickly. I'm glad we havn't seen Mayweather Hatton or Cotto against either Mayweather or Hatton before now becuase it builds up the supsense.

Floyd is at a point in his career where's he top of the tree and wants the megafights. He's not scared of a single fighter out there but he wants to fight the best at the best time for the most money.

It would have been foolish to fight Cotto or Margarito instead of Baldimor. Baldimor was the undipsuted champ, and Cotto and Margarito both represents 'potential' future mega paydays. As it panned out Margarito got exposed so a win for Floyd would have done nothing for his legacy whilst Cotto is coming along nicely.

The winner of Cotto Mosely will be an extrememly attractive fight for both Floyd financially and boxing fans across the world.

Oh and cc returned.
    Tony got exposed?
    You are using the word exposed as if he had got knocked the phuck out in the first round.
    He went 12 rounds with a very live opponent who throws a million punches. A decent smart young fighter he is that Paul Williams. He will be trouble for anyone including Floyd.
    He is a man who can beat you with pitter patter punches. I still say Tony was not exposed and you are using that term too loosely around here now.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G

Well said

Oh and cc returned.
    Tony got exposed?
    You are using the word exposed as if he had got knocked the phuck out in the first round.
    He went 12 rounds with a very live opponent who throws a million punches. A decent smart young fighter he is that Paul Williams. He will be trouble for anyone including Floyd.
    He is a man who can beat you with pitter patter punches. I still say Tony was not exposed and you are using that term too loosely around here now.
    Don't got me wrong I'm a Margarito fan...still but the fact is he did get proven to be not the monster opponent who Floyd was ducking. There is no doubt in my mind that Floyd would have beaten Margarito easier than Williams did but that would have proven nothing if he did as people would just have said Margarito was overrated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're using the term exposed far far too loosely here Bilbo. A UD loss to a guy whothrows over 1,000 punches is not a being exposed. Exposed is a beatdown. Exposed is a knockout loss. 2 115-113 scores is not exposed. Secondly,I don't see anyone else willing to fight Williams except Clottey and Kermit. Thirdly, Margarito ripped off someone's ears with his fists,I'm pretty sure that makes him some sort of monster. Finally,Mayweather may very well have been hot favourite v Tony but just because Tony lost to PW does not have ANY relation to Mayweather v Tony. At all. In any way shape or form.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No Danny i wasnt pointing the slating tag on you mate

But you should be happy though....Cotto gets a fight with Mosley and that is as big of a task as fighting Mayweather if not bigger

so if he can come through that he will get the winner of this fight... great time to be a boxing fan

Bang on Bilbo there are slants on both records depending on what fence you sit on... but there the best around and are fighting each other so i'm with you on all the moaning i just cant understand it

Simple really Oscar faded in later stages like he has in the past.
    Were talking about a jab ... guess you just dont understand what i'm saying here not to worry mate

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    You're using the term exposed far far too loosely here Bilbo. A UD loss to a guy whothrows over 1,000 punches is not a being exposed. Exposed is a beatdown. Exposed is a knockout loss. 2 115-113 scores is not exposed. Secondly,I don't see anyone else willing to fight Williams except Clottey and Kermit. Thirdly, Margarito ripped off someone's ears with his fists,I'm pretty sure that makes him some sort of monster. Finally,Mayweather may very well have been hot favourite v Tony but just because Tony lost to PW does not have ANY relation to Mayweather v Tony. At all. In any way shape or form.
    Ah mate when else have I used the word exposed?

I'm not saying that he did get beat down but he WAS exposed in as much as being this super threat to Floyd Mayweather. All the Floyd haters were saying for years that Floyd is was ducking him, too scared to fight him and then he goes and loses his title convincingly to Paul Williams.

And by the way I remember you repeatedly saying that Oscar De La Hoya got convincingly beat by Floyd Mayweather as if it was just a walk in the park but I'd imagine that 90% of unbiased observers would say the Oscar Floyd fight was far closer than Margarito Williams.

Oscar was in the fight with Floyd upto the final round, and only lost a split decision. Margarito basically needed a KO to win after round 8.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not saying that he did get beat down but he WAS exposed in as much as being this super threat to Floyd Mayweather. All the Floyd haters were saying for years that Floyd is was ducking him, too scared to fight him and then he goes and loses his title convincingly to Paul Williams.

And by the way I remember you repeatedly saying that Oscar De La Hoya got convincingly beat by Floyd Mayweather as if it was just a walk in the park but I'd imagine that 90% of unbiased observers would say the Oscar Floyd fight was far closer than Margarito Williams.

Oscar was in the fight with Floyd upto the final round, and only lost a split decision. Margarito basically needed a KO to win after round 8.
    Like I said,just because Williams beat him,doens't make sense to make an anaology with Mayweather. Is Mayweather a 6 foot plus southpaw who throws 1,000 punches and has one of the longest reaches a WW has ever had?? Not understanding the analogy.

And no,90% of observers wouldn't think the Floyd fight was closer. I don't recall anyone having the fight for Oscar,5 or 6 ringside judges had the fight either for Margarito or 115-113 Mayweather. I posted the ringside scorecards for both fights myself.

I had Margarito fight 115-113 for PW and Floyd 116-112. Difference...Margarito was comingon strong and had the biggest round of the fight. Mayweather rocked Oscar twice and won the last 4 rounds ina row easily. So again,I'm not understanding where you are going with that point?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like I said,just because Williams beat him,doens't make sense to make an anaology with Mayweather. Is Mayweather a 6 foot plus southpaw who throws 1,000 punches and has one of the longest reaches a WW has ever had?? Not understanding the analogy.

And no,90% of observers wouldn't think the Floyd fight was closer. I don't recall anyone having the fight for Oscar,5 or 6 ringside judges had the fight either for Margarito or 115-113 Mayweather. I posted the ringside scorecards for both fights myself.

I had Margarito fight 115-113 for PW and Floyd 116-112. Difference...Margarito was comingon strong and had the biggest round of the fight. Mayweather rocked Oscar twice and won the last 4 rounds ina row easily. So again,I'm not understanding where you are going with that point?
    You're getting carried away buddy I'm not knocking your boy

I'm just answering those critics who always say Floyd ducked Margarito because he was scared to fight him. In the light of his imo rather tame surrender of his title against Williams the hype bubble around him being the guy to beat Floyd has been well and truly burst.

I'm still a fan of Margarito, I like his style and think he's one of the most exciting fighters to watch but Floyd didn't duck him and fighting the linear champion in Baldomir was the correct business move.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL,you really think I care who knocks Margarito?! I think I've been the only fan here defending him (along with a few others like Gyrokai-where the hell are you,Danny G and few others who speak the truth). Margarito has always been disliked,that's not what bothers me. It's when posters make stupid points about him,when they dont know much about him or they don't know what they are talking about.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL,you really think I care who knocks Margarito?! I think I've been the only fan here defending him (along with a few others like Gyrokai-where the hell are you,Danny G and few others who speak the truth). Margarito has always been disliked,that's not what bothers me. It's when posters make stupid points about him,when they dont know much about him or they don't know what they are talking about.
    I've havn't knocked him Gamo you know I've been a fan of his over the past few months, I've defended your corner several times.

I just don't think he is a Floyd beater and I don't think Floyd was scared to face him

ICB Guest

I had PW vs Margarito fight 116-113 and Mayweather vs Oscar fight 116-113.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've havn't knocked him Gamo you know I've been a fan of his over the past few months, I've defended your corner several times.

I just don't think he is a Floyd beater and I don't think Floyd was scared to face him
    That's fair enough man but I disagree. Like I said,the Williams analogy had no relevance. You still didn't address that point. How does Paul Williams beating Margarito have ANY relevance whatsoever to Mayweather being able to beat him? It's simple,it doesn't.

And you've defended my corner,which I've appreciated,AFTER you used to be one of Margarito's biggest critics....until you started watching his fights

ICB Guest

That's fair enough man but I disagree. Like I said,the Williams analogy had no relevance. You still didn't address that point. How does Paul Williams beating Margarito have ANY relevance whatsoever to Mayweather being able to beat him? It's simple,it doesn't.

And you've defended my corner,which I've appreciated,AFTER you used to be one of Margarito's biggest critics....until you started watching his fights
    I have to agree with Gamo about Margarito he was beat by very talented Welterweight who is a windmill and is a freak of nature at 6 foot 2 and Margarito made very good account of himself if he would of beaten by one sided decision then i could understand but he didn't and i would love to see rematch in the future.

Thread Information