Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Predictions for 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Big' Dan McCarthy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN
    Now these are some things that i can see happening next year. Probably all wrong.
    But here goes.
    Joe Calzaghe defeats Kessler in a close, (some say hometown) decision, he then makes a much anticipated and overdue match against Roy Jones, who destroys Tito Trinidad in 5 rounds. Kessler fights a returning from eye injury Anthony Mundine, and Tito retires again.
    After a tough battle against Ricky Hatton that he wins, Floyd Mayweather fights Mguel Cotto who has just won a war against Shane Mosely, and proved himself a top dog at 147. Mosely puts his frienship with Oscar DLH on hold and they match up in a third fight then both retire. Hatton moves back down to 140 and fights Junior Witter in the UK in front of a huge crowd.
    Kelly Pavlik defeats Jermain Taylor in a close fight where both are knocked down once. Straight away a rematch is announced.
    Manny Pac wins a great fight against Marco Antonio Barrera where he has to come off the canvas twice early to dominate the latter rounds and win via tko in the 12th. Barrera retires for a short time, Pac makes a match up with lightweight champ Juan Diaz.

Those are the scenarios i have dreamt up. Anyone disagree or wanna add something?
    Good dreaming there Eagle, I think Kessler will beat Calzaghe and a rematch will be made immediately for March/April next year. Mayweather will fight Cotto in April/May, Pavlik will beat Taylor and a rematch is made. Jones jr will KO Tito and go to Australia to fight a recovering Mundine.
    Hatton will stay at 147lb and fight Judah at some point. Tszyu will come out of retirement and fight Witter at 140lb and win by KO in the first!!! S**t, it was me who was dreaming!
    Can u imagine prime KT against the current crop of 140 pounders? it'd be brutal! Malignaggi, and Witter would be Taylor made for Kostya to KTFO.
    Malignaggi and Witter are actually taylor made to frustrate the hell out of Tyszu. Look how slow and ponderous he looked against Zab before Zab got careless.

Not sure if Witter or Malignaggi beat a prime Tyszu (malignaggi not enough power, Witter might be too negative) but they'd sure give him fits. He'd be chasing shadows especially against Witter.
    Clueless aren't you mate, watch some Kostya Tszyu fights and you'll realise they'd all be dead meat. Witter and Malignaggi pull away after they throw a shot, thats how Tszyu handled so many technically correct "boxers" with that point scoring style, both pro and amateur. Watch him serve up Vernon Forrest in the am's, he has the perfect style to derail boxers, that is why he was so highly regarded in The Ring and p4p's everywhere for years.

Why do you think everyone ducked him for years, Oscar, Mosley, Whitaker....
    I must admit I don't care for Tszyu much. It's ironic to me that a guy like De La Hoya has his record picked to shreads with some people saying he's not even a great yet Kosta fought practically nobody of note apart from Zab Judah.

He's praised for beating guys like Sharmba Mitchell, Ben Tackie and Oktay Urkal.

Apart from Zab who did he actually beat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

David Tua will snatch up a world title in 2008 vs one of the champions hopefully Klitchko in Feb. .. Evander will get his this year vs Ibrogimov, thus the HW divison will begin to come into the light.. good things are on the horizon for HW boxing

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym
    David Tua will snatch up a world title in 2008 vs one of the champions hopefully Klitchko in Feb. .. Evander will get his this year vs Ibrogimov, thus the HW divison will begin to come into the light.. good things are on the horizon for HW boxing
    I love your optimism and the fact you think that two heavyweights from the last century winning world titles now is good for boxing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym
    I love your optimism and the fact you think that two heavyweights from the last century winning world titles now is good for boxing
    thrill factor baby ! with few exceptions the young lot is snuff .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now these are some things that i can see happening next year. Probably all wrong.
    But here goes.
    Joe Calzaghe defeats Kessler in a close, (some say hometown) decision, he then makes a much anticipated and overdue match against Roy Jones, who destroys Tito Trinidad in 5 rounds. Kessler fights a returning from eye injury Anthony Mundine, and Tito retires again.
    After a tough battle against Ricky Hatton that he wins, Floyd Mayweather fights Mguel Cotto who has just won a war against Shane Mosely, and proved himself a top dog at 147. Mosely puts his frienship with Oscar DLH on hold and they match up in a third fight then both retire. Hatton moves back down to 140 and fights Junior Witter in the UK in front of a huge crowd.
    Kelly Pavlik defeats Jermain Taylor in a close fight where both are knocked down once. Straight away a rematch is announced.
    Manny Pac wins a great fight against Marco Antonio Barrera where he has to come off the canvas twice early to dominate the latter rounds and win via tko in the 12th. Barrera retires for a short time, Pac makes a match up with lightweight champ Juan Diaz.

Those are the scenarios i have dreamt up. Anyone disagree or wanna add something?
    Good dreaming there Eagle, I think Kessler will beat Calzaghe and a rematch will be made immediately for March/April next year. Mayweather will fight Cotto in April/May, Pavlik will beat Taylor and a rematch is made. Jones jr will KO Tito and go to Australia to fight a recovering Mundine.
    Hatton will stay at 147lb and fight Judah at some point. Tszyu will come out of retirement and fight Witter at 140lb and win by KO in the first!!! S**t, it was me who was dreaming!
    Can u imagine prime KT against the current crop of 140 pounders? it'd be brutal! Malignaggi, and Witter would be Taylor made for Kostya to KTFO.
    Malignaggi and Witter are actually taylor made to frustrate the hell out of Tyszu. Look how slow and ponderous he looked against Zab before Zab got careless.

Not sure if Witter or Malignaggi beat a prime Tyszu (malignaggi not enough power, Witter might be too negative) but they'd sure give him fits. He'd be chasing shadows especially against Witter.
    Clueless aren't you mate, watch some Kostya Tszyu fights and you'll realise they'd all be dead meat. Witter and Malignaggi pull away after they throw a shot, thats how Tszyu handled so many technically correct "boxers" with that point scoring style, both pro and amateur. Watch him serve up Vernon Forrest in the am's, he has the perfect style to derail boxers, that is why he was so highly regarded in The Ring and p4p's everywhere for years.

I must admit I don't care for Tszyu much. It's ironic to me that a guy like De La Hoya has his record picked to shreads with some people saying he's not even a great yet Kosta fought practically nobody of not apart from Zab Judah.

He's praised for beating guys like Sharmba Mitchell, Ben Tackie and Oktay Urkal.

I am gonna try and be unbiased in my response to this cos Kostya is my favourite fighter. I think a lot of his reputation came about by the way he destroyed some good opponents. Guys like Jake Rodriguez, Ruelas, Miguel Angel Gonzalez, Tackie and Hurtado are not household names but they are decent fighters and KT obliterated all of them. I feel guys like Mosely, and DLH werent scared to fight him but they probably dodged him because a fight against Tszyu was too much risk for not much gain, cos he wasnt a major draw in the US. It is a shame he didnt fight more big name opponents because then we could have seen just how good or not good he was.
    In his favor he beat guys like Mitchell and Judah easier than anyone else ever has.
    His fighting style was great to watch also, which probably got him more highly rated than others with similiar records.
    Fair?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But here goes.

I must admit I don't care for Tszyu much. It's ironic to me that a guy like De La Hoya has his record picked to shreads with some people saying he's not even a great yet Kosta fought practically nobody of not apart from Zab Judah.

I am gonna try and be unbiased in my response to this cos Kostya is my favourite fighter. I think a lot of his reputation came about by the way he destroyed some good opponents. Guys like Jake Rodriguez, Ruelas, Miguel Angel Gonzalez, Tackie and Hurtado are not household names but they are decent fighters and KT obliterated all of them. I feel guys like Mosely, and DLH werent scared to fight him but they probably dodged him because a fight against Tszyu was too much risk for not much gain, cos he wasnt a major draw in the US. It is a shame he didnt fight more big name opponents because then we could have seen just how good or not good he was.
    In his favor he beat guys like Mitchell and Judah easier than anyone else ever has.
    His fighting style was great to watch also, which probably got him more highly rated than others with similiar records.
    Fair?
    I think that was very fair mate. I believe he was a really good fighter but it just irks me that elite fighters like De La Hoya, Trinidad, Mosely etc have their records torn apart by people on here yet Tyszu seems to be some kind of super fighter in the eyes of most.

I don't think he's on a par with the guys mentioned above, certainly he didn't achieve nearly as much yet douchebags like Big Dan McCarthy ( ) can come out and state matter of factly that Oscar isn't even top 3 in the 154 lb division and that Forrest, Ouma and Spinks are all above him and yet in the same breath call me clueless for thinking that Junior Witter and Paulie Malignaggi two of the most awkward fighters in the 140 lb weight class would have given Tyszu a hard time.

He's like Antonio Margarito in a way except it's the fight fans that hype him into being this undefeatable force rather than the promoters and media.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But here goes.

I must admit I don't care for Tszyu much. It's ironic to me that a guy like De La Hoya has his record picked to shreads with some people saying he's not even a great yet Kosta fought practically nobody of note apart from Zab Judah.

I am amazed at the statement, who did he beat? Tszyu's career shows he fought nearly 50% of all his fights against world champions including a win against Juan La Porte in his 4th pro fight!
    He was avoided by DLH and Mosley who both had opportunities to fight him in the 90's yet mysteriously did not (wise move) Mitchell was pretty good and had a good record until he met Tszyu, Tackie and Urkal
    have been around a long time and Miguel Angel Gonzalez had only lost to DLH when he met Tszyu.
    He was undisputed 140lb World Champion, you don't get to do that unless you are very, very good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But here goes.

Fair?
    I think that was very fair mate. I believe he was a really good fighter but it just irks me that elite fighters like De La Hoya, Trinidad, Mosely etc have their records torn apart by people on here yet Tyszu seems to be some kind of super fighter in the eyes of most.

I don't think he's on a par with the guys mentioned above, certainly he didn't achieve nearly as much yet douchebags like Big Dan McCarthy ( ) can come out and state matter of factly that Oscar isn't even top 3 in the 154 lb division and that Forrest, Ouma and Spinks are all above him and yet in the same breath call me clueless for thinking that Junior Witter and Paulie Malignaggi two of the most awkward fighters in the 140 lb weight class would have given Tyszu a hard time.

He's like Antonio Margarito in a way except it's the fight fans that hype him into being this undefeatable force rather than the promoters and media.
    I think he had a lot more talent than Margarito, and a 1999 tszyu would have beaten Witter and Paulie easily, but yeah i think the fact he didnt fight some other big names meant it was hard to judge just how good he was. This could be good for him, or bad. Good cos if he'd fought Mosely, Mayweather, DLH he might have been beaten easily and this could have stuffed his legacy, on the other hand if he'd beaten one or two of these guys he could be an ATG. Hard to say.

ICB Guest

But here goes.

He beat an old Chavez he also had good victory over Diosbelys Hurtado who had floored Pernell Whitaker twice and was ahead in the fight until Whitaker stopped him in the 11th.

And few other names like.

Juan La Porte
    Roger Mayweather
    Rafael Ruelas

Few decent names but i agree he never did beat a great.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But here goes.

I am amazed at the statement, who did he beat? Tszyu's career shows he fought nearly 50% of all his fights against world champions including a win against Juan La Porte in his 4th pro fight!
    He was avoided by DLH and Mosley who both had opportunities to fight him in the 90's yet mysteriously did not (wise move) Mitchell was pretty good and had a good record until he met Tszyu, Tackie and Urkal
    have been around a long time and Miguel Angel Gonzalez had only lost to DLH when he met Tszyu.
    He was undisputed 140lb World Champion, you don't get to do that unless you are very, very good!
    But his record doesn't match up to someone like Oscar, Floyd, Castillo, Mosely, Trinidad etc.

The biggest name on his record is Zab Judah. Then an ageing Chavez.

His actual record isn't a whole lot better than Margarito's barring Tony's early career losses. Margarito lost to Santos, Kosta lost to Phillips. Tyszu destroyed Judah, Margarito destroyed Cintron. Guys like Clottey, Lujan, Lewis are comparable to Tackie, Lejia, Mitchell etc. Tyszu quit on his stool against unbeaten Hatton, Margarito lost a close UD to unbeaten Paul Williams.

Tyszu's record is clearly better, he unified the 140 division whilst Margarito has not been able to do the same but they are in the same ball park.

Yet many on here will quite happily post that Margarito is garbage but Tszyu is just sacrosanct.

I'm asking for parity that's all.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    But here goes.

He beat an old Chavez he also had good victory over Diosbelys Hurtado who had floored Pernell Whitaker twice and was ahead in the fight until Whitaker stopped him in the 11th.

Juan La Porte
    Roger Mayweather
    Rafael Ruelas

Got to give you credit my young man your fight knowledge is starting to rival Britkid now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2008, Pavlik (the new champ) will unify the mw division.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    But here goes.

Juan La Porte
    Roger Mayweather
    Rafael Ruelas

Got to give you credit my young man your fight knowledge is starting to rival Britkid now
    back mate im nowhere near Britkids level yet but i can tell you something since coming here my boxing knowledge and believe it or not reading skills have got about 10 times better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But here goes.

But his record doesn't match up to someone like Oscar, Floyd, Castillo, Mosely, Trinidad etc.

The biggest name on his record is Zab Judah. Then an ageing Chavez.

His actual record isn't a whole lot better than Margarito's barring Tony's early career losses. Margarito lost to Santos, Kosta lost to Phillips. Tyszu destroyed Judah, Margarito destroyed Cintron. Guys like Clottey, Lujan, Lewis are comparable to Tackie, Lejia, Mitchell etc. Tyszu quit on his stool against unbeaten Hatton, Margarito lost a close UD to unbeaten Paul Williams.

Tyszu's record is clearly better, he unified the 140 division whilst Margarito has not been able to do the same but they are in the same ball park.

Yet many on here will quite happily post that Margarito is garbage but Tszyu is just sacrosanct.

I'm asking for parity that's all.
    I think when half of your total fighting record is against World Champions then you have parity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still dont believe that Margarito has as good a record as Tszyu, and i think anyone who does think that he does would have a hard time selling their idea on here. Good luck tho.
    Anyway back to predictions.
    Billy Dib adds his name as another top fighter at 130, by defeating some good opponents at that weight.

Thread Information