Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why didnt Taylor take a knee??

this was a great fight, i enjoyed it from start to finish, but my personal opnion is taylor was outclassing pavlik throughout the fight. Great respect to Pavlik and im a big fan of his, in the 7th round he hit taylor with a cracking right hand but i cant understand why Taylor didnt take a knee....perhaps he didnt know where he was from that great right hand.....BIG respect to Pavlik ...Bring on the rematch

ICB Guest

Default Re: Why didnt Taylor take a knee??

Quote Originally Posted by ThePlatinumBoy
    this was a great fight, i enjoyed it from start to finish, but my personal opnion is taylor was outclassing pavlik throughout the fight. Great respect to Pavlik and im a big fan of his, in the 7th round he hit taylor with a cracking right hand but i cant understand why Taylor didnt take a knee....perhaps he didnt know where he was from that great right hand.....BIG respect to Pavlik ...Bring on the rematch
    No he wasn't go have a look at punchstats or just use your common sense there was no more than 1 point in it either.

As for Taylor he didn't take a knee because he didn't no where he was its bit hard to think of things like that when your getting hit by monster punches by a monster puncher like Pavlik seriously would you be thinking of that when you don't know where you are and are seeing stars ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that true i just thought of instict of boxing for so long he would just automatically go dwn on a knee but it was 1 hell of a right hand

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor was up against the ropes. Had he been in the middle of the ring, he may have had more of a chance to take a knee. In any case, the pounding he took was incredible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fight was very close. Maybe JT felt he could weather the storm and wouldn't concede a 10-8 9or worse) round.

SigmaMu Guest

That is a great question but I think only Taylor knows the answer to that one but..
    One can only speculate and say maybe it was pride?
    Taylor beat Pavlik in the Olympic trials of 2001. Taylor thought he was all that because he beat the LION of lions B-Hop. (IMO he did not beat B-Hop) anyway.. Maybe he thought he was not that hurt and thought he could shake it off. Had Taylor taken a knee, he would have shown weakness in a fight were he was supposedly dominating Pavlik, had him hurt, queering, out on his feet and down on the canvas in the second round.
    I think Pride played a big factor. I am sure if he had to do it all over again, he would have taken the knee, who knows. I loved seeing Taylor laying in that corner like a garbage bag. That was joy, joy, joy.

I wear a suit! That makes me more of a champion than Kelly Pavlik.
    "Jermain Taylor"

Although Taylor showed some heart, Kelly Pavlik showed tremendous heart and then some.

If you watch the fight again, you will see that when Kelly sees Taylor is hurt, Kelly shifts gears and lands one of two upper cuts that would seal the deal. The window of opportunity that Taylor had to take a knee was not long enough.

Who said Kelly was slow?

Fast enough to knock you out

Kelly reminds me of Cotto. You can hurt him but he comes back and taxes and waxes that azz.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In any case, the ref did the only he COULD do under the circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Most boxers dont think to take a knee. That would be a thought that would require a somewhat clear head. His instinct was to cover up.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought it was possibly a little too quick on the stoppage - until I saw the replay. That left uppercut in the corner had him going and then Pavlik caught him with a left hook that made Jermain go limp. Awesome finish - I think it just hit Taylor too fast.

REMATCH!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor's face looked like a Shar-Pei in the slow-mo replay. He wasn't thinking anything at all when that happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    That is a great question but I think only Taylor knows the answer to that one but..
    One can only speculate and say maybe it was pride?
    Taylor beat Pavlik in the Olympic trials of 2001. Taylor thought he was all that because he beat the LION of lions B-Hop. (IMO he did not beat B-Hop) anyway.. Maybe he thought he was not that hurt and thought he could shake it off. Had Taylor taken a knee, he would have shown weakness in a fight were he was supposedly dominating Pavlik, had him hurt, queering, out on his feet and down on the canvas in the second round.
    I think Pride played a big factor. I am sure if he had to do it all over again, he would have taken the knee, who knows. I loved seeing Taylor laying in that corner like a garbage bag. That was joy, joy, joy.

I wear a suit! That makes me more of a champion than Kelly Pavlik.
    "Jermain Taylor"

Although Taylor showed some heart, Kelly Pavlik showed tremendous heart and then some.

If you watch the fight again, you will see that when Kelly sees Taylor is hurt, Kelly shifts gears and lands one of two upper cuts that would seal the deal. The window of opportunity that Taylor had to take a knee was not long enough.

Who said Kelly was slow?

Fast enough to knock you out

Kelly reminds me of Cotto. You can hurt him but he comes back and taxes and waxes that azz.

Well said dude. I agree, if Kelly can do anything, he can finish an opponent very fast once he knows he's touched a chin real good. Taylor didn't have time to take a knee. Actually the very 1st shot that kind of stunned Taylor was out towards the middle of the ring, he looked kind of unsteady, so he should of taken a knee there 1st if anything. He should have, cause' Kelly knows how to finish fast and I think JT forgot that, or pride got him. I myself didn't like to see JT layed out, I have always personally been a fan of his. I felt for him down there, though I sure was glad PavMan won, and that was the only way Kelly could have won. I don't know about the rest of you, but before the fight I thought JT looked real nervous in the locker room. I've seen most of his fights and I never saw him looking nervous like last night. Maybe I saw it wrong, but he sure seemed apprehensive in the locker room and in the ring. I think nerves played more against him than anything and especially after Kelly survived that canvas check. He seemed in great shape but went to the ropes one too many times. If he really wants to get that belt back this k.o. is the best wake-up call for him. I think he'll be back stronger and better, but Kelly will learn from this fight too, so the rematch should be very interesting.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

just watched the fight again i think it was a bit closer than i first thought but it was 1 hell of a fight and i hope they have a rematch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThePlatinumBoy
    cc dude, i agree i think he did have a second where he was wobbled where he could've taken a knee.. i yelled it out as soon as i saw his legs get weak to just go down.. he would've only had about 30 seconds left to go in the round to make it out, and it would've just been a knockdown not the end of the fight, so he'd at least have a chance to continue.. It was definitely a rough round right from the beginning for Taylor.. he took a LOT of solid jabs right to the chin and it was definitely his worst round.. would've been interesting if the fight continued.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    Most boxers dont think to take a knee. That would be a thought that would require a somewhat clear head. His instinct was to cover up.
    which is what most guys do...you don't think about that if you're really hurt....now is you have some sense left maybe...but if it's gone..not a chance!!!
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why didnt Taylor take a knee??...

Coz his brain was so messed up already to think intelligently from the 2 bombs that Pavlik unleashes.

Thread Information