Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hopkins should fight Pavlik at a catch weight.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hopkins should fight Pavlik at a catch weight.

I think that we're getting greedy here. We're taking too much from boxing at the moment with all of these superfights, particularily with this catchweight business.
    People slated Taylor for demanding a rematch clause at Supermiddle, saying that this would do the Middleweight division no good, having the champ and the no.1 contnder fighting at a different weight.
    I feel for Kellys long term career and the good of the middleweight division he has to defend at middle and build up his career before division hopping.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    I think that we're getting greedy here. We're taking too much from boxing at the moment with all of these superfights, particularily with this catchweight business.
    People slated Taylor for demanding a rematch clause at Supermiddle, saying that this would do the Middleweight division no good, having the champ and the no.1 contnder fighting at a different weight.
    I feel for Kellys long term career and the good of the middleweight division he has to defend at middle and build up his career before division hopping.
    I don't think Pavlik is a natural middleweight though, he's huge. He's taller than Calzaghe and he struggles to make 168 lbs.

I think Pavlik will be fighting at light heavy maybe even cruiser before his career is over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Height doesn't necessarily mean, being huge. Pavlik is very slender. Look how long Hopkins stayed at middleweight only being one inch shorter. If Pavlik does the right conditioning there is no need for him to change divisions just because he's tall... I mean Paul Williams is almost his height, and fight at 147, and that guy in the ufc is 6'4 or something and fighting at 155.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Height doesn't necessarily mean, being huge. Pavlik is very slender. Look how long Hopkins stayed at middleweight only being one inch shorter. If Pavlik does the right conditioning there is no need for him to change divisions just because he's tall... I mean Paul Williams is almost his height, and fight at 147, and that guy in the ufc is 6'4 or something and fighting at 155.
    Yes but if he's that slender and only just makes weight imagine when he fills out.

It's guys like Jeff Lacy who are really small for their weight, loads of largely unnecesary muscle mass.

Pavlik is like a less extreme version of Paul Williams shapewise, he could easily make 175 now.

Remember Hopkins was not really a natural middleweight, he stayed there to dominate the division through relentless running and diet regimes. Size wise he's almost as big as Chad Dawson

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd prefer to see Hopkins fight Dawson or Erdei. Pavlik still has business @ 160 with Abraham & possibly Wright.

Who does the winner of Calzaghe/ Kessler target now? Hopkins or Pavlik?
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    I would love to see how Pavlik would do against Hopkins. I think Hopkins still has the footwork to keep the distance, however Pavlik does have good accuracy and has a knack for landing punches. Either way, it would be nice for Bernard to in a sense get back the title he should have gotten back in the second fight with Taylor.
    Are you serious?

Hopkins needs to retire hes fucken boring! A while back I said I had it with Hopkins, Winky & JT fighting their shitty! fights..... This time around JT earned my respect for FIGHTING Pavlik. Winky & Hopkins would never go out of their elements and FIGHT someone 'cause they get sparked out.

If Team Pavlik are smart they would pass up on Hopkins & Winky if the fights were offered neither fighter has anything to offer in the ring both shitty! boring fighters whom I've lost my patience with. Pavlik should move on to better things he has AAbraham, Sturm & Duddy. 3 very interesting fights and all with REAL fighters who would climb through the ropes to fight.
    I think Hopkins could STILL pick Pavlik apart from the outside and tie him up on the inside. Pavlik is not hard to hit, but its true also that with his 6'2" frame, if you are close enuff to be hitting him, you are also close enuff to be getting hit and he hits fukin HARD. It'd be a good fight. I'd love to see Pavlik fight Abraham or Sturm, preferably Abraham though. But Duddy?! Come on Mick, you know better than that, Duddy is not even in the top ten, he'd get taken apart by Pavlik in 1 or 2 rounds, no doubt in my mind.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    I would love to see how Pavlik would do against Hopkins. I think Hopkins still has the footwork to keep the distance, however Pavlik does have good accuracy and has a knack for landing punches. Either way, it would be nice for Bernard to in a sense get back the title he should have gotten back in the second fight with Taylor.
    Are you serious?

Hopkins needs to retire hes fucken boring! A while back I said I had it with Hopkins, Winky & JT fighting their shitty! fights..... This time around JT earned my respect for FIGHTING Pavlik. Winky & Hopkins would never go out of their elements and FIGHT someone 'cause they get sparked out.

If Team Pavlik are smart they would pass up on Hopkins & Winky if the fights were offered neither fighter has anything to offer in the ring both shitty! boring fighters whom I've lost my patience with. Pavlik should move on to better things he has AAbraham, Sturm & Duddy. 3 very interesting fights and all with REAL fighters who would climb through the ropes to fight.
    I think Hopkins could STILL pick Pavlik apart from the outside and tie him up on the inside. Pavlik is not hard to hit, but its true also that with his 6'2" frame, if you are close enuff to be hitting him, you are also close enuff to be getting hit and he hits fukin HARD. It'd be a good fight. I'd love to see Pavlik fight Abraham or Sturm, preferably Abraham though. But Duddy?! Come on Mick, you know better than that, Duddy is not even in the top ten, he'd get taken apart by Pavlik in 1 or 2 rounds, no doubt in my mind.
    I agree Hulk; Duddy doesn't last long in there with Pavlik. Abraham is the guy I think should be next! A Taylor rematch is also worthwhile.

As for Sturm though I think he's got a lot on his hands with Griffin. I pick Griffin to pull the upset there.
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd love to see the fight, but I don't see much upside for Pavlik beyond the payday. If he beats Hopkins--and especially if he knocks him out--people will say, 'well, Hopkins is an old man' and he won't get much credit. He'd probably end up with people complaining about him like they did with Taylor if he only won a close decision.

It's no lose for Hopkins, though. A loss won't hurt his legacy, it will just be a case of age catching up with him in the minds of most; on the other hand, a win over a 25 year old star in the making like Pavlik would really add a little something extra to his legacy. And, you know something, if the fight were to come off it would not surprise me in the least if Hopkins pulled it off.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think we might see Hopkins get old in that fight and Winky neither of them are spring chickens and each are way older then Pavlik is but if he knocks them out in a huge way i think he might get credit right now Abraham, Taylor and Stern or Griffen are the fights to happen and better for his legacy

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was impressed with Kelly against JT, but we have yet to see him in a fight with a great defensive/technical fighter like Winky or Bhop. I think he'd be able to carry his power to 175 and still be dangerous. If Bhop didn't look old overnight than I wouldn't be suprised for him to fight his typical style and eke out a SD. It would really depend on the judges. Do you give more points for Kelly coming forward and throwing alot of punches therefore controlling the round, or for Bhop making Pavlik look amateurish at times and pot shotting him? Either way Winky or Bhop would provide a level and style that I don't think Kelly has seen and it would be interesting to see how he handles it. As far as legacy goes I think Kelly would be better served fighting the Calzaghe/Kessler winner.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Van i have to disagree with you there i think he should clean up his division and then move on to tell you the truth Abraham and Stern would be good if he beat those guys then goes against Taylor again if you know what i mean Van

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But Duddy?! Come on Mick, you know better than that, Duddy is not even in the top ten, he'd get taken apart by Pavlik in 1 or 2 rounds, no doubt in my mind.
    As I stated above at least Duddy would come to fight.
    If you've seen Duddy you know he can dish out as well as he takes...
    Watch him vs. 'Yory Boy' hack it I think he lost the fight but still he was there the whole fight punching back.
    No doubt I think Pavlik sparks him out but at least I'll know it'll be a an exciting fight and not a fucken hugging fest.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But Duddy?! Come on Mick, you know better than that, Duddy is not even in the top ten, he'd get taken apart by Pavlik in 1 or 2 rounds, no doubt in my mind.
    Watch him vs. 'Yory Boy' hack it I think he lost the fight but still he was there the whole fight punching back.
    No doubt I think Pavlik sparks him out but at least I'll know it'll be a an exciting fight and not a fucken hugging fest.
    John Gets beat by Pavlik, its hurts me to say that!!!
    But Andy can beat Pavlik, 2-3 more fights and i say he outpoints Kelly.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    John Gets beat by Pavlik, its hurts me to say that!!!
    But Andy can beat Pavlik, 2-3 more fights and i say he outpoints Kelly.
    Your jumping the gun Donny Lee looks good but he hasn't beaten anyone yet lets wait until he steps up in opposition.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like i say. Paul Wiliams gets up to run the roads every moring at 4am for a reason
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Thread Information