Person, Fan, Athlete
By Haism Rahman with Brian Adams
(December 29, 2004)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I used to train at the Jersey City gym Marciano’s, I used to sit and admire some of the sparring sessions that included Larry Donald, Gary Bell, Kirk Johnson, Jameel McCline, and Hasim Rahman. I developed a relationship with the Rock and although he believed that I was the Man in the amateurs, he must understand that that was then and this is now, and now he is the Man and I am still sitting back watching him do his thing. Just know I have nothing but love for you Rock, keep doing your thing homie. - Brian Adams

TONS MORE PLAYING ON MAXTV
See More MaxTV Videos
It's good to be a member

In the sport of boxing, neither the fans nor the athletes get to pick and choose what fights should be made, although you hear promoters and managers say that the fans want to see certain matchups. It’s strictly up to the promoters, and most of them will not put their meal tickets up to a tough challenge. Top guys stay hidden, the fans get cheated and the athletes get labeled unfairly as bums.

In the old days, if boxers had three or four losses, it was no big deal. They fought one another without worrying about getting lost in the shuffle by their promoter. There is so much pressure form the networks, and even promoters, to have a “0” on the record that it is causing the Elite to not face each other. A loss does not mean that one can’t fight, it happens. Look at Bernard Hopkins, he lost his very first fight and does anyone believe that Clinton Woods would be able to even stand in the ring next to Bernard right now?

Without that pressure of bringing an undefeated guy to the table the promoters can stage better shows without the worry of losing their meal ticket, and it would only help the sport of boxing. Right now, it is a game of holding onto the boxer who the public believes is the best because they may be 35-0 but haven’t fought anyone. The promoter will only gamble with that boxer if he can get top dollars in return. In the end only the fans get cheated.

If the best don’t start fighting the best, the small amount of fans that we do have will walk away like the others. How can you continue to cheat the fans by staging a World title fight three times a month on pay per view at $40-$50 each show? The promoters don’t care about the fans and they try to get the fans to think that they do. It’s only one world that we live in but we have four world champions in each division. I understand that everyone needs to eat and that can happen if the promoters work together and generate the money for the boxers. Let all the champions get together and see who is the best. But first the boxers need to stand up and demand certain things like certain match ups. The promoters cannot make money or put on a show without the boxers. Most boxers will step in the ring and fight anyone, any time, but there is so much focus on an undefeated fighter and it only fools the fans. A mirage can only last for so long.

I can recall when I first started in the boxing game. It was at the age of 20 in 1993. I was on the streets and was taken to the gym and it was supposed to be a death sentence for me. I turned professional in 1994 because I was only sparring with other pros at the time. I knew I wasn’t ready because I had very little amateur experience, but it forced me to be hungry mentally. I knew I had to work my butt off because I was caught in the middle of the ‘92 Olympic class and the ‘96 class. I knew I had to catch up with the Larry Donalds and the David Tuas, but at the same time, I couldn’t fall behind the Lance Whitakers and Lawrence Clay-Beys. I stayed focused because I didn’t want to bein a position 10 years from now where I’m sitting talking about what could have been. I couldn’t take no short cuts if I wanted to be the best. Guys are now bigger and stronger but I feel that I am one of the hardest hitters today, so I will use that, along with my intelligence, to get back on top. Things have never been easy for me and I don’t expect it to be now. I am currently the mandatory for WBC Champion Vitali Klitschko but he feels he needs to take a tune up before facing me. He was allowed one defense before his mandatory and he had that with Danny Williams.

It just seems as if the boxers today don’t have the desire of the old timers. Today’s generation is not willing to get in the ring and just fight; it has become more of a business and I understand. I understand that promoters would only allow you to fight their clients if you give them options. The best don’t fight the best any more. Everyone wants to take easy fights and fool the fans into thinking they are dominant. I was told a phrase a while back and now I understand what it means. It goes, ‘in boxing the Lions are afraid of the rats,’ with the Lions being the warriors who risk their lives in the ring, the rats being the promoters and managers. A loss shouldn’t mean a guy is finished.

This boxing game has the ability to create superstars because it is the ultimate sport. Look at Glen Johnson; there is a story of an individual who came up the hard way to glory. Fans are just confused as to who is who because the boxing world itself is confused. One day it’s said that boxer A is the man, the next day it says that boxer B is the man and so on, so how do we expect to get a solid following? In other sports like basketball, you know that the Detroit Pistons are the champions and you have solid contenders chasing after them, not running from them. I say let all the top five guys fight one another to see who is the man; it will only help us as athletes.

I say the fans need to understand that the fighter is a person first and foremost. When I hear people say that Rahman is a bum, I know they are speaking about Rahman the athlete/entertainer. They have every right to boo or cheer me if they are paying their money. Athletes should not take things too personal and try to relate more to the fans to get a fan base and vice versa, fans need to relate more to the athlete. Athletes are going to go through rough times but it can’t last forever. But those rough times are what makes a person. I will continue to remain the same person that I am and that’s a loving fan and athlete of boxing.

Side note: I would like to publicly send my condolences out to a true friend of mine (who is more like a brother), Mark Breland. His son was shot in the back about two weeks ago in Virginia. Currently he is in the hospital, partially paralyzed. As you all should know by now, Mark is really one of the good guys in this world. His son will need therapy and I pray he will be back up and running around soon, but medical bills may slow the progress. – Brian Adams.