Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sergio Mora Overrated

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Sergio Mora Overrated

Sorry i don't like to hate on a fighter but he has never impressed me he was dropped by 15-3 fighter Archak TerMeliksetian won 10 round decision over Eric Regan but not impressive by any means when journeyman McCrary took out Regan in 2 minutes now getting a draw with a mediocre fighter like Elvin Ayala ?? and all these people were saying Mora would do better against Pavlik than Duddy will ?? i don't think so i have been saying this for about a year that Mora has never been impressive i even think Manfredo won the rematch do people feel sameway ??

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergio Mora Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedByPacstraightleft
    Sorry i don't like to hate on a fighter but he has never impressed me he was dropped by 15-3 fighter Archak TerMeliksetian won 10 round decision over Eric Regan but not impressive by any means when journeyman McCrary took out Regan in 2 minutes now getting a draw with a mediocre fighter like Elvin Ayala ?? and all these people were saying Mora would do better against Pavlik than Duddy will ?? i don't think so i have been saying this for about a year that Mora has never been impressive i even think Manfredo won the rematch do people feel sameway ??
    i didn't think anybody thought he was much good anyway

do they?
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's partially mora's own fault he spends too much time trying to build a reputation for himself that he can't live up to. I don't think he's bad just not as good as he's portrayed. The contender show brought in a lot of casual boxing fans who think by him winning that show meant he was this all time great type of fighter. I've said it before i really think he is content being a popular fighter and being a contender champion.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All members of the contender series suck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by magyar2007
    All members of the contender series suck.
    I wouldn't go that far..most of them are progressing just fine they just got a little bump in thier career exposure wise.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think anybody thinks he's that good but I do think he's better than Duddy. Maybe that just says something about what I think of Duddy.

And I don't know anything about Ayala or that fight, it definitely doesn't say good things about him but your other reasons are kind of simplistic. He didn't knock out Regan cause he can't punch, McCrary may be a journeyman but he can punch fairly hard. And so what if he got knocked down by a guy he got up and won.

Can't believe I'm defending Sergio Mora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he's overrated by contender fans who aren't boxing fans. Generally boxing fans don't give him much credit, and probably under rate him. The contender fighters on a whole catch a lot of flack over this. Overall I don't really like him, but I think he's a decent fighter. I think his machismo has given him a few questionable decisions that could have went the other way.

I think people expect too much out of the contender fighters and expect that they are supposed to be world beaters. They participate in a tournament and receive a reward for winning and just the participation. It's a business and they get a big jump in their business from the exposure. I don't think Mora deserves a title shot, but most titlest are more interested in high profile fighters than they are tough competetion. He's fairly high profile and will draw a larger purse for both fighters because of it. Overall I don't think he's overrated in skill, cause he's not widely thought of as being skilled. However he is overrated in proportion to his skill and popularity. He's obviously more popular than skilled, so I can't think of a word to describe it better than overrated, but it just doesn't seem to fit.?

Maybe we need a new word to describe it. Anyone got an idea?

Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame
    I think he's overrated by contender fans who aren't boxing fans. Generally boxing fans don't give him much credit, and probably under rate him. The contender fighters on a whole catch a lot of flack over this. Overall I don't really like him, but I think he's a decent fighter. I think his machismo has given him a few questionable decisions that could have went the other way.

I think people expect too much out of the contender fighters and expect that they are supposed to be world beaters. They participate in a tournament and receive a reward for winning and just the participation. It's a business and they get a big jump in their business from the exposure. I don't think Mora deserves a title shot, but most titlest are more interested in high profile fighters than they are tough competetion. He's fairly high profile and will draw a larger purse for both fighters because of it. Overall I don't think he's overrated in skill, cause he's not widely thought of as being skilled. However he is overrated in proportion to his skill and popularity. He's obviously more popular than skilled, so I can't think of a word to describe it better than overrated, but it just doesn't seem to fit.?

Hyped
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As Oumafan said your analysis is a little simplistic. Winning by KO isn't an indication of being a better fighter, it's just an indication of being a better puncher. Cory Spinks couldn't hurt Jermain Taloy nearly as much as Pavlik did but he did a much better job of nullifying Taylor and was never hurt or barely even hit himself during their 12 round fight.

Sergio is a boxer, not a puncher. Therefore his wins nearly always come by decision. McCrary can bang as we saw against Allan Green, he managed to land early against Regan and stopped the fight. Mora doesn't have that power and so needed to outbox a much taller guy. Regan was no bum either he was coming off a win over Yory Boy Campas who pushed John Duddy to the brink, and let's not forget, despite Duddy being overhyped, he IS one of the top prospects in the division.

As for being knocked down by Termeliksetian firstly it was only a flash knockdown, he was up at about 2 and he went on to dominate the fight forcing a stoppage in round 7. At the time the Shark Attack was a prospect. He had fought Sechew Powell in a battle of undefeated prospects losing a decision and then in his next fight fought a still unbeaten Giovanni Lorenzo who is a top prospect. Turmeliksetian is also regarded as a power puncher as well. If you google reports of his fights with Powell and Lorenzo, both on the fringes of world class now, he was considered the puncher in both fights.

Mora wasn't great last night but then Alaya was a much hyped prospect himself until he ran into David Banks. I thought Mora edged the fight, as I think did Tessitore, Atlas and most people on here, although the 99-91 score was clearly rediculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i don't like him simple as.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he looked HORRIBLE the first 4-5 rounds of that fight last night..
    Him getting a fight with Pavlik would be bittersweet in my mind.. bitter because i don't think he deserves the exposure or a title shot.. sweet because i would love to see Pavlik knock his head off of his shoulders

He was very unimpressive last night, and it seems if he gets in the ring with someone who is very well conditioned and has a jab or long enough arms in general to keep the fight on the outside, he'll get destroyed.

SigmaMu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame

The expectations were/are too high and the Contender people tried to make the kid run before he could crawl. You don't win a softball tournament and then think you are going play and beat the Rockies or the Indians. Unrealistic expectations, if you know what I mean. I hope this removes any "I am ready for a world title shot" from Mora's head and I hope he goes about his career the way any other fighter does and that is work your way up. I think that Alfonso Gomez has benefited more than anyone else because he is going about his career in the right way. Alfonso is staying busy and he is taking fights to help him gain some more experience in the ring. Sergio lacks experience big time. Do I think he is all that? I like him and I think he has potential but his lack of inactivity is killing him. I hope this is a wake up call. He needs to put his foot down and tell the Contender people to stop trying to get him title shots he does not deserved or is not prepared to take. I said he was not ready for Taylor and I know he is not ready for Pavlik. It's a no brainer.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    As Oumafan said your analysis is a little simplistic. Winning by KO isn't an indication of being a better fighter, it's just an indication of being a better puncher. Cory Spinks couldn't hurt Jermain Taloy nearly as much as Pavlik did but he did a much better job of nullifying Taylor and was never hurt or barely even hit himself during their 12 round fight.

Sergio is a boxer, not a puncher. Therefore his wins nearly always come by decision. McCrary can bang as we saw against Allan Green, he managed to land early against Regan and stopped the fight. Mora doesn't have that power and so needed to outbox a much taller guy. Regan was no bum either he was coming off a win over Yory Boy Campas who pushed John Duddy to the brink, and let's not forget, despite Duddy being overhyped, he IS one of the top prospects in the division.

As for being knocked down by Termeliksetian firstly it was only a flash knockdown, he was up at about 2 and he went on to dominate the fight forcing a stoppage in round 7. At the time the Shark Attack was a prospect. He had fought Sechew Powell in a battle of undefeated prospects losing a decision and then in his next fight fought a still unbeaten Giovanni Lorenzo who is a top prospect. Turmeliksetian is also regarded as a power puncher as well. If you google reports of his fights with Powell and Lorenzo, both on the fringes of world class now, he was considered the puncher in both fights.

Mora wasn't great last night but then Alaya was a much hyped prospect himself until he ran into David Banks. I thought Mora edged the fight, as I think did Tessitore, Atlas and most people on here, although the 99-91 score was clearly rediculous.

Mora wasn't impressive in Regan fight Bilbo all im trying to say is that if your good upcoming fighter with alot of talent then fighters like Eric Regan and Archak TerMeliksetian your supposed to look good against and Mora did not look impressive in any of these fights and was even dropped in the Archak TerMeliksetian fight.

Thats it though Bilbo you just proved my point he fought them prospects and lost Archak TerMeliksetian is a gatekeeper and the kind of fighter your supposed to look impressive against and Mora failed to do this.

But when has Mora ever been great ?? thats what im trying to say i have never been impressed with Mora and im not a Mora hater either thats what i truly believe and i have believed this for ages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched his last couple fights. I see a kid with some skills, but not even top 30 IMHO.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

Mora wasn't impressive in Regan fight Bilbo all im trying to say is that if your good upcoming fighter with alot of talent then fighters like Eric Regan and Archak TerMeliksetian your supposed to look good against and Mora did not look impressive in any of these fights and was even dropped in the Archak TerMeliksetian fight.

Thats it though Bilbo you just proved my point he fought them prospects and lost Archak TerMeliksetian is a gatekeeper and the kind of fighter your supposed to look impressive against and Mora failed to do this.

But when has Mora ever been great ?? thats what im trying to say i have never been impressed with Mora and im not a Mora hater either thats what i truly believe and i have believed this for ages.
    Well I completely disagree with you about the Regan and Turmeliksetian fights. He won a clear UD against Regan by scores of 97-93 98-92 98-92 and completely controlled that fight against a much taller guy. Someone like McCrary can outbang a thin guy like Regan but Mora had to outbox him, not an easy thing to do against a tall rangy guy, and as I said Regan was coming off a UD over Yory Boy Campas so was no mug. Just google for reviews of the fight and you'll see that every writer felt this was an impressive win. Here's a quote from boxing scene;

The Arco Arena in Sacramento, California saw "Contender: Season One" champion Sergio Mora, pick up a big win that may land him a potential title shot in his next bout.

In the main event, Sergio “The Latin Snake” Mora slithered his way closer to victory with an impressive 10 round UD victory over IBA Continental Middleweight Champion Eric Regan. With this victory, Mora improves to 19-0 and Regan drops to 26-3

The full article can be found here http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=5289

The Turmeliksetian fight, I'm not sure if you've seen his fights with Powell and Lorenzo but Mora dealt with him as effectively as those guys and forced a stoppage which Powell was unable to do.

You also have to remember that Mora started on the Contender as one of the least experienced guys with only 11 fights. Because he won the show he gets held to a higher standard than the other guys, which is fair enough but you have to remember he's a work in progress not the finished article.

He didn't look great yesterday but I thought he shaded the fight, regardless he didn't get beat. I don't think he's overratted at all. He's vastly underrated by alsmot everyone on these boards who think he's a bum and a punk.

Thread Information