Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I got knocked on my butt today in sparring...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I got knocked on my butt today in sparring...

Backatyer Tm, Im gona hit the hay got med and training and theres still the remote possibility of bieng remotely fresh :P

Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    What kinda sparring is taht?
    Sparring is meant to be a part of training, a learning instrument to help one's boxing...How's knocking each other down and potentially injuring each other going to help your boxing?
    I'm sure you've sparred before. So you know that sometimes sparring gets heated, and you get into a good scrap. Somtimes you get dropped. This was the first time out of 8 sparring sessions anyone has been dropped. And I've improved a lot since the first couple, so I think they have been productive. The point is like you say to work on what you've learned, not to drop or hurt one another , but its boxing, sometimes things like that will happen.
    Sparred....I've got 53 amateur fights.
    For me i just find it more productive to use sparring as an element to improve and tweak skills, so if it's more controlled it's more productive as if a guy was sprinting at me i wouldn be able to practice new stuff, i'd just try bomb him; I realise that sometimes it gets hot in there, but i find thats mostly when sparring guys outside of my club...Generally i try to keep it cool. But i do accept that there are exceptional circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    What kinda sparring is taht?
    Sparring is meant to be a part of training, a learning instrument to help one's boxing...How's knocking each other down and potentially injuring each other going to help your boxing?
    I'm sure you've sparred before. So you know that sometimes sparring gets heated, and you get into a good scrap. Somtimes you get dropped. This was the first time out of 8 sparring sessions anyone has been dropped. And I've improved a lot since the first couple, so I think they have been productive. The point is like you say to work on what you've learned, not to drop or hurt one another , but its boxing, sometimes things like that will happen.
    Sparred....I've got 53 amateur fights.
    For me i just find it more productive to use sparring as an element to improve and tweak skills, so if it's more controlled it's more productive as if a guy was sprinting at me i wouldn be able to practice new stuff, i'd just try bomb him; I realise that sometimes it gets hot in there, but i find thats mostly when sparring guys outside of my club...Generally i try to keep it cool. But i do accept that there are exceptional circumstances.
    Not exclusively,its also a good way to learn how to take a shot.It sounds elemental,but believe you me,its important.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the one time that i actually support Brendan Ingles logic...Taking unnecessary punishment is foolishness.
    It is necessary to take punishment in a fight, not in training. The body can only absorb so much punishment before it begins to fall apart. It will come across enough encouragement in fights, i just feel there is no need to accelerate this process with reckless sparring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the one time that i actually support Brendan Ingles logic...Taking unnecessary punishment is foolishness.
    It is necessary to take punishment in a fight, not in training. The body can only absorb so much punishment before it begins to fall apart. It will come across enough encouragement in fights, i just feel there is no need to accelerate this process with reckless sparring.
    Alot of it is learning to take it,now if you have the time to build a large amateur card,well you learn it in there.
    If you dont have time for that,gotta learn it somewhere,Im willing to take on older fighters,so I can see both sides.
    We got a girl in here recently,who wants to do MMA,I put her in with Feur,Feur was going so easy on her I had to yell at her to pick it up a bit,she dropped the girl twice.Now that girl will be a bit harder the next time,but now she knows it didnt kill her,it didnt even hurt her that bad,if youve allready felt the worse that could happen,well then,whats the worse that could happen?
    I do see your point,but sometimes you dont have time to put together an amateur card,actually you have to be able to run both kinds of sparring sessions

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is true and i fully comprehend your logic, to some extent i agree, as iv been training a young girl who is a prodigy in shadow boxings, on the bag and hitting the pads, but when it came to her first fight she lost it all when she was hit. So from that perspective i see ur point,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is true and i fully comprehend your logic, to some extent i agree, as iv been training a young girl who is a prodigy in shadow boxings, on the bag and hitting the pads, but when it came to her first fight she lost it all when she was hit. So from that perspective i see ur point,
    Have a cc on me.
    Youve got to figure out who you have out there. Getting dogmatic about it doesnt help your fighter,and if youve taken them on,they are YOUR fighter and YOUR responsibility,so youve got to change the rules,because theyre more important then you are,theyre the ones getting popped.There's a reason that even though flying is absolute unbelievable torture to me,Im trying to figure out how Ill work Feur's corner next time
    Large amounts of beer will probably be involved in getting me on the damned plane,I really hate flying,no, extra special hate flying.
    On the plus side,it should just be wearing off when we have to meet our driver,so Ill be all nice and professional coming off the plane

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats a tricky problem.
    Alcohol is probably the bet solution as irresponsibel as it sounds!

My fear is needles, and when i have to get any medicine i have to do somethin to take my mind off it, like putting a stone in my shoe but refusing to take it out, better discomfort than blind fear!

My gym is pretty famed for producing power punchers, i don't no why, thats why sparring is pretty technical and rarely gets heated, mind you when it does, the whole gym turns and watches!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats a tricky problem.
    Alcohol is probably the bet solution as irresponsibel as it sounds!

My fear is needles, and when i have to get any medicine i have to do somethin to take my mind off it, like putting a stone in my shoe but refusing to take it out, better discomfort than blind fear!

My gym is pretty famed for producing power punchers, i don't no why, thats why sparring is pretty technical and rarely gets heated, mind you when it does, the whole gym turns and watches!
    Well I did say beer,not scotch
    I understand roping it in,I got a few fighters that can really wallop,and at that point if their just pounding away,its like
    A)Your just showing off
    B) Your not learning anything by doing it
    Its a high wire,as a trainer youve got to learn to dance on it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I must have a pretty good chin and a hard noggin (or maybe I just refuse to go down) but I've been rocked HARD a few times by the experienced guys in my gym but I've never been down. I believe I've been momentarily out though, only coming to as I hit the ropes.

But that's how I was raised. My pop told me never let them know they got the better of you. So in hockey, if I was hurt by a check, I still got up no matter what. And in baseball, if I was hit by a pitch, I got up no matter how bad it hurt and I trotted to first base.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
    I must have a pretty good chin and a hard noggin (or maybe I just refuse to go down) but I've been rocked HARD a few times by the experienced guys in my gym but I've never been down. I believe I've been momentarily out though, only coming to as I hit the ropes.

But that's how I was raised. My pop told me never let them know they got the better of you. So in hockey, if I was hurt by a check, I still got up no matter what. And in baseball, if I was hit by a pitch, I got up no matter how bad it hurt and I trotted to first base.
    Likewise, iv never been down.

Uv not been round the boxing forums much Von, have you deserted us completely for MMa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never. Just crazy busy with school and the little guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Big difference between down,and out
    Only times Ive ever been out were when I was 8,and I stepped in to a punch from my trainer when he trying to show how fast you could be.I was being a cocky little bugger and stepped in to show how fast I could be.Turns out I wasnt that fast
    The other time the guy outweighed by at least 100 pounds,probably still wouldnt have gone out if the back of my head hadnt hit the steel shutters behind me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never. Just crazy busy with school and the little guy.
    Glad to hear it!
    I tryna get as many posts in as i can before my lil one arrives! I've got a feeling Saddo's will be neglected!!!

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been knocked down more while working the pads than while actually boxing, and usually be 13 year olds that forget which is their left and which is their right. Oddly, I've always stayed up when a punch really hurt, be that pride or instinct or stupidity. I've been knocked down when I get clipped and get dizzy: go down, get up, go on.
    I hope the most important lesson was learned. In the ring you never lose your temper, never get mad. It gets you hit and getting hit hurts. Most boxers start out with a temper. Few finish with one.

Thread Information