Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Which one is he?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your general opinion of Emanuel Steward

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What is your general opinion of Emanuel Steward

I've been thinking of this for a long time now, especially watching his relationship with Taylor develop. Is he a construct by the media who was lucky to have some great fighters early on in his stable and so we assumed he was great? Or is he really a great trainer who brought the best of his fighters and made them great?

Thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What is your general opinion of Emanuel Steward

Overated. he had a few champs in the 80's but since then i cant see anyonne hes trained from the start of their carrer whose become a champ. hes a money grabber.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The answer for me is "both of the above".

For me, he has helped Kermit Cintron become a more complete fighter and was perfect for Lennox Lewis, but he was definately the wrong man for Hamed & Taylor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn

For me, he has helped Kermit Cintron become a more complete fighter and was perfect for Lennox Lewis, but he was definately the wrong man for Hamed & Taylor.
    Pretty much my thoughts too (cc). There is no one trainer that's a best fit for every fighter. I think a good fit between trainer and fighter needs to be found.

The one thing I haven't liked with him lately, is some of the things he says to the media don't seem to be the best choices for the mental prep of his fighters. Still, I don't see how he can be considered anything but an ATG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

and I agree with you bzkfn, I think you are hard pressed to find a trainer that is 100% the man I think when you have a decent body of work as a trainer and you come across as class, than fighters that have talent want to work with you. All trainers have homegrown and vets in there stable as well as fighters that were 90% there but left the trainer that made them because they reached the end of the potential with that relationship, but again it takes a little of both to be considered a great trainer.

Although I despise Wlad as a fighter, Steward has done a 180 for his comfort and confidence I mean at the mere sight of Corrie Sanders had Wlad shittin himself

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Especially as of late i've noticed the only time he doesn't make a fighter better is when the fighter doesn't listen to his instructions.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i agree mate nice post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ds91

i agree mate nice post

Manny is a guy past building up fighters from the ground..he has reached the level of boxing royality...EG when a good fighter who is accomplished starts to have problems or needs just that fine tuning Manny is the man....
    IMO he is the next best trainer of this era.....

Of couse I don't care who else is out there when you compare them to the GREAT Eddie Futch they all look like second rate
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow. How quickly they turn on you.

Jonathan Banks and Andy Lee. He's trained both of these guys virtually from the git-go. In a few years they'll both be major forces in their respective divisions (though I think Lee may be a bit more talented).

Has he not completely turned Klitschko around? After he lost to Brewster he was all but wrapped up and ready for the garbage heap. If anything Hamed and Taylor are the exceptions to the rule. Hamed was more interested in appearing like the biggest thing out there; it was pointless to switch trainers other than for appearances-sake because when he got in the gym he did exactly what he wanted. Steward said himself that he didn't do much with Hamed, that the guy was a natural athlete. And Taylor, I think they are just a mismatch. Everything he's shown Jermain has failed to translate in the ring except in this last match but he still managed to get kayoed.

He's a millionaire for a reason. For a long period of time he was paying out of his own pocket to keep Kronk Gym open. You can't do that on mediocre salary.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great heavyweight trainer, the best out there.

Overrated when it comes to training fighters in the lower weights.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find it funny as fuck how people blame manny for Taylor lol...

It's always the same, its never the boxer in the us lol..

Manny is perfect for taylor, taylor has a great jab and manny is the ebst trainer in the world for anyone who can Jab...

Watch taylor in the hopkins fight, and then after...

Watch him in the pavlik fight and then after he puts him down... Taylor is a lazy fuck with no work rate. he was up for pavlik until he put him down.

Manny tells taylor to do everything he needs to do, there is nothing any othe rmanager could tell taylor or train him to do. it all boils down to taylor having it all, but being to fucking lazy to do it for the full 3 mins of everyround.

--

someone said there is no perfect trainer, and to a certain degree thats right, guys like dundee could train all sorts tho, from ali to basillio...

Now manny is a trainer who can work with reach and Jab and have most success with that, BUT look at holyfield in his second fight with bowe, the smaller guy and he turned bowe over, who trained him? manny...

Manny can train all sorts, hes best at reachy guys with power and jab, but still exceeds with other styles.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I to think hes both of the above.
    Hes helped some from the start and hes re-invented some. Hes also helped some already established fighters. As well as not having soo much luck with others.

I'd also like to mention what hes done for Wladdy.

And think about this just because fighters wear a "Kronk Gym" shirt doesn't make you a great. You have to earn that.
    I think the G-Man was the last great fighter out of Kronk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hes a great guy and a class act. As a trainer he has done some great things with some fighters that he got early like Hearns and some guys like Wlad that he really brought the best out of. Manny is great for boxing.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A great guy and a great trainer although I don't think he gives his all nowadays.

Before 2000 he was a great trainer and a smart man who did a little commentary.

Since 2000 he's a past great trainer who talks a lot on tv and occasionally trains fighters.

He just has a different prospective nowadays.

He's still great, just not one of todays current great trainers....

By the way, I met a Detroit Detective in 1999 who had some great stories about him......

I'm never drinking again (I am a liar)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by taansend
    By the way, I met a Detroit Detective in 1999 who had some great stories about him......

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Thread Information