Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default UK Football Team

With the Olympics coming up, plus some comments by the boys at FIFA there's this talk of a United Kingdom football team.

I have to say, I don't think this should be the case. Our international teams are as old as the sport so they should all be kept separate.

However, I do think we should play a British Isles team once a year or every other year. get the best of England, Scotland, Wales, Ulster & Eire to play against another mixed team. Maybe the best of the Iberian Peninsular or Scandinavia. North America (that includes Mexico) can play South America and western Asia can play against eastern Asia. maybe even a fun tournament where they play each other once. And if people are saying that players are playing too many games and are getting burnt out, then limit it to Under 23 year olds like the Olympics.

Anyway, I'm off to work.

I'm never drinking again (I am a liar)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: UK Football Team

My main worry about this is that Sepp Blatter has been going on for years about preferring a Great Britain football team to the four nations' teams on the international stage, and if Britain are willing to enter one for the Olympics, he might try and force us to play one team in all international competitions. If there are guarantees that that won't happen, then I'm happy with it, but I sure as hell don't want to lose the magnificent (-ly average) Welsh footie team.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

British Isles soccer-the humiliation...
    Ireland would be wooden spoon boys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    British Isles soccer-the humiliation...
    Ireland would be wooden spoon boys
    naah. They'd be represented. With todays international players here's my squad (I've included currently injured players)

Goalkeepers
    C Gordon (SCO)
    S Given (IRE)
    R Green (ENG)

Defence
    O'Shea (IRE)
    G Bale (WAL)
    J Terry (ENG)
    R Ferdinand (ENG)
    A Cole (ENG)
    M Richards (ENG)

Midfield
    B Ferguson (SCO)
    D Fletcher (SCO)
    S Gerrard ((ENG)
    F Lampard (ENG)
    J Cole (ENG)
    S Wright-Phillips (ENG)
    O Hargreaves (ENG)
    S Ireland (IRE)

Forwards
    D Healy (NI)
    R Keane (IRE)
    C Bellamy (WAL)
    W Rooney (ENG)
    M Owen (ENG)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry taaansend mate, you're using Republic of Ireland players instead of Northern Irish players....

Eire are recognised as a seperate nation in the Olympics, so you might have to reviseyour thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun
    Sorry taaansend mate, you're using Republic of Ireland players instead of Northern Irish players....

Eire are recognised as a seperate nation in the Olympics, so you might have to reviseyour thinking.
    Super

I do know that Eire is separate as my Old Girl and half my family are from there. Thanks anyway.

Read the initial post on this thread. I said that we should do a British Isles team - just like the rugby - to play a friendly every now and then against other grouped teams.

A great match would be against Spain & Portugal. Another maybe against France, Belgium & Holland. Scandinavia could play together. USA, Mexico & Canada. Brazil & Argentina.

OK, I know this would never happen but it would be a lot of fun to have mega teams play each other.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by taansend

Super

I do know that Eire is separate as my Old Girl and half my family are from there. Thanks anyway.

Read the initial post on this thread. I said that we should do a British Isles team - just like the rugby - to play a friendly every now and then against other grouped teams.

A great match would be against Spain & Portugal. Another maybe against France, Belgium & Holland. Scandinavia could play together. USA, Mexico & Canada. Brazil & Argentina.

OK, I know this would never happen but it would be a lot of fun to have mega teams play each other.
    I've never let details like reading ever stop me speaking my mind....even when there's nothing in there. In that case, please ignore I was here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Super

I've never let details like reading ever stop me speaking my mind....even when there's nothing in there. In that case, please ignore I was here.
    I blame myself

By the way, I did want to put more Welsh players in the but Collins & Gabbidon play for West Ham and I didn't want to be biased.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Super

I blame myself

By the way, I did want to put more Welsh players in the but Collins & Gabbidon play for West Ham and I didn't want to be biased.
    Being a Welsh Hammers fan, I still couldn't find it within me to put either of them in the squad at the moment. What about the centre back of the Mighty MK Dons Craig Morgan? No....you sure?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayb Given could make the team and perhaps nah.....
    We're muck at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It goes in cycles. Look at how crap the Jocks were for the last 15 years and now they have a better generation that England coming through.

You gotta address 'em young.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It goes in cycles. Look at how crap the Jocks were for the last 15 years and now they have a better generation that England coming through.

You gotta address 'em young.
    But our last decent generation lost out in a playoff v Russia when sparky was manager, and the one before that was in 1958.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What we need is a manager; one that can actually dictate to his players what he wants done and who has a little expierience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the Jocks are the only nation in the isles who can look forward with real optimism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im sorry but the only player who would not come form the English would be Craig Gordon.

The rest are shite.

Thread Information