Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mikkel Kessler "Joe Calzaghe Crushed My Dream"

"It was one of my hardest fights, definitely, and at the end I was tired," Calzaghe (44-0, 32 KOs) said of what was arguably the most meaningful fight in the 23-year history of the division. "I think I threw a thousand punches and he caught me with some good shots in the fight, stunned me a few times. So I knew he was going to come out for the knockout (in the 12th round). Maybe I should've run, held on a bit more and just danced away. But I stood toe-to-toe and I felt that the crowd got their money's worth tonight. We're both warriors and I think we fought a good fight."

"I've never been one for rematches," Calzaghe said. "(Kessler is) only going to get stronger."

Naturally, Kessler seeks a rematch, though he probably knows better than to expect Calzaghe to grant him one now that one of Wales' national heroes has accomplished all he can at 168 pounds. Kessler will remain at super middleweight, but he has no idea who he'll fight next.

"I haven't thought about that yet," Kessler (39-1, 29 KOs) said. "He just crushed my dreams."
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mikkel Kessler "Joe Calzaghe Crushed My Dream"

As overly dramatic as this will sound...this one was one for the ages.

The fans...the TRUE FANS...asked for it...the fighters gave it...tenfold...& we GOT IT!!!

I mean, some of us...we really got it.

I feel for Kess...but Joe aint gonna give him a rematch. He'll move up to 175lbs or bust.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

The fans...the TRUE FANS...asked for it...the fighters gave it...tenfold...& we GOT IT!!!

I feel for Kess...but Joe aint gonna give him a rematch. He'll move up to 175lbs or bust.
    Wackito,

If Joe was 5 years younger a rematch may make sense.

If Kessler had won a close battle a rematch may make sense.

But the veteran won and so deserves the next big event. Whether thats Hopkins or whomever, we shall see.

You take care, y'all...
    I'm never drinking again (I am a liar)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He only temporarily crushed your dreams kess. You'll bounce back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

I think this fight was probably the highest skill level the supermiddle division has ever seen...

I can't wait till Joe becomes two weight champ, but i think he should keep his titles if he fights hopkins and defend them against pavlik...

Then calzaghe would probably retire with wins over hopkins and pavlik/taylor winner...

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By the sounds of it Kess isn't taking this too well.
    I hope this doesn't shut him down, hes better then that. Kess needs to go to the drawing board, train and look for the next fight.

Kess def has what it takes to become champ again.

As for Joe he needs to get that paper and Hopkins will bring him that. Joe wants the acceptance of the US for some reason I hope he knows that he doesn't need it hes earned it already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    By the sounds of it Kess isn't taking this too well.
    I hope this doesn't shut him down, hes better then that. Kess needs to go to the drawing board, train and look for the next fight.
    Kess is young & built his whole life on this dream...I can only imagine...plus...he's never NEVER faced such adversity...before, during, & after...it's gotta be heartbreaking & devastating.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ill give calzaghe respect for his win but im have to say this....calzaghe has one hell of an ugly style and for god sake can someone teach him to punch. Ive never seen so much slapping in my life, i respect him and i congratulate him but i have to say that the fight was close and i just hope the judges did not score some of those punches. Congrats to calzaghe and hope to see him fight in some more big fights.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe was very sloppy at times in this fight. He is usually very accurate. Must have been kess's movements that kept joe from being more accurate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sexydarin
    Calzaghe was very sloppy at times in this fight. He is usually very accurate. Must have been kess's movements that kept joe from being more accurate.
    Well i havent seen massive amounts of calzaghe but from what ive seen, hes always like this. I saw calzaghe have kessler on the ropes and do some pity pat punches like he was doing tai bo or something. I will say now, this feat is a great achievement but technically calzaghe is lacking. I think a slick boxer might give him a very big run for his money, roy jones could still probably cause alot of problems for him. Mundine, well from what ive seen calzaghe is very awkward...mundine showed that an awkward soliman was no problem for him. Soliman is not in the same class as calzaghe but they do have similarites, both throw thousands of punches that dont always have power on them. I think if mundine fought calzaghe it would be close. If mundine got soliman as a sparring partner then i see it being very close. Kess showed joe is suspectable to a right uppercut and straight rights. I just think with mundines speed, he would be able to land these punches effectively. Im not saying mundine would win but many people do not give him credit for his talents. He has improved and i think he can be a major player in the division if his eye is near 100 percent.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakey
    Well i havent seen massive amounts of calzaghe but from what ive seen, hes always like this. I saw calzaghe have kessler on the ropes and do some pity pat punches like he was doing tai bo or something. I will say now, this feat is a great achievement but technically calzaghe is lacking. I think a slick boxer might give him a very big run for his money, roy jones could still probably cause alot of problems for him. Mundine, well from what ive seen calzaghe is very awkward...mundine showed that an awkward soliman was no problem for him. Soliman is not in the same class as calzaghe but they do have similarites, both throw thousands of punches that dont always have power on them. I think if mundine fought calzaghe it would be close. If mundine got soliman as a sparring partner then i see it being very close. Kess showed joe is suspectable to a right uppercut and straight rights. I just think with mundines speed, he would be able to land these punches effectively. Im not saying mundine would win but many people do not give him credit for his talents. He has improved and i think he can be a major player in the division if his eye is near 100 percent.

shouldn't you be saying that about calzaghe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakey

shouldn't you be saying that about calzaghe
    No, i give him credit for his accomplishments but really he is technically not a skilled fighter. He has good hand speed, alright power occasionally and some good head movement but his technique lacks quite a bit. Im just saying mundine should be given credit for his skill, im not talking about accomplishments. Calzaghe has done great things and i give him full credit for them.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mr Kessler Learned more last night about fighting than ever before, and didnt get hurt. He will get better from lessons learned, should come back a better fighter I was impressed. Technicaly a better fighter than Joe but not as inventive.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Mr Kessler Learned more last night about fighting than ever before, and didnt get hurt. He will get better from lessons learned, should come back a better fighter I was impressed. Technicaly a better fighter than Joe but not as inventive.
    Exactly mate, calzaghe adjusted. Although calzaghe was throwing some useless punches, they werent wasting energy and it was enough to keep kessler weary and keep some gas in the tank. Calzaghe is crafty but for me not a technically efficient fighter.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope Kessler does come back with his mind in tact. He seemed absolutely gutted he lost and even said he did not think he performed well.

Calzaghe won the fight for me with his jab and movement. He was too quick. I think if Kessler can learn to negate some of that speed then i think he will be even better. However, I expect that if Calzaghe does move up then Kessler will have one of his belts back very soon.

Kessler v Froch anyone?
    Tip of the month: Protect yourselves at all times. You never know when the scheming bitch will come back for more.

Thread Information