Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Hearns Really Have Weak Chin Or Was It His Weak Legs ??

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Did Hearns Really Have Weak Chin Or Was It His Weak Legs ??

Strong legs are important in boxing and Hearns had very weak legs i think this had something to do with it anyone else agree ??

I also don't think he has very weak chin he was stopped by Leonard while still on his feet and was stopped by only big punchers like Hagler and Barkley.

ICB Guest

Default Re: Did Hearns Really Have Weak Chin Or Was It His Weak Legs ??

Quote Originally Posted by ryanman89
    ICB,you just let yourself down there bro,weak legs?your opinion is normally good so i presume you are about to say you were jokin
    I think you misunderstood what im saying.

Strong legs are important in boxing because they keep you upright when your in trouble i think some of the problem why Hearns was floored by lesser opponent's was because of his weak legs i know people may call me stupid ect but i have always thought this.

Of course his chin was far from good but strong legs are important and Hearns legs were like sticks.

ICB Guest

I just had a look at the topic and i worded it wrong it sounds like im blaming all of Hearns knockdowns just on his weak legs.

I meant to say i think thats a part of it.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im sorry Ice, but this thread is seriously silly.

Hearns was a great fighter but his beard got in the way sometimes. What does this have to say about his legs though??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In all honesty,strong legs will indeed keep you upright when your heads temporarily taken a powder on you.
    Now wether that was the case with Hearns is open for debate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Strong legs are very importat in boxing. You are right Ice that you foundation does effect how you take a punch. Many of the Top heavy boxers with chicken legs do tend to get knocked down more frequently. A lot of flash knockdowns where the fighter is not hurt but goes down is because their footing let them down. If a guy is hurt from a punch and goes down obviously that is an issue with their chin.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    In all honesty,strong legs will indeed keep you upright when your heads temporarily taken a powder on you.
    if your head has 'taken a power on you' then muscle strength is totally irrelevent,muscles can only work properly when given the correct gocostal message from the brain,the only time leg strength matters in boxing is when you are getting leaned on or pushed,it has no effect on keeping you upright when your brain is scrambled.and to think my mother said my sports science degree was worthless!
    Its wether or not you can survive long enough to recover,if youve got really strong legs you could hold yourself upright long enough to clear the cobwebs.
    If you dont,you end up sitting down
    Theres degrees of fogged,not every shot that puts the fog over your eyes is unrecoverable from,if they were,very few fights would make it past the third

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if your head has 'taken a power on you' then muscle strength is totally irrelevent,muscles can only work properly when given the correct gocostal message from the brain,the only time leg strength matters in boxing is when you are getting leaned on or pushed,it has no effect on keeping you upright when your brain is scrambled.and to think my mother said my sports science degree was worthless!
    Its wether or not you can survive long enough to recover,if youve got really strong legs you could hold yourself upright long enough to clear the cobwebs.
    If you dont,you end up sitting down
    Theres degrees of fogged,not every shot that puts the fog over your eyes is unrecoverable from,if they were,very few fights would make it past the third
    Exactly. Even when your hurt instinct keeps you up mentally and your legs keep you up physically. Plus as a boxer your mnd is trained conscious and subconscious.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Legs and footwork are very underestimated in boxing, strong legs are definately a help to a boxer who moves alot. The problem with Hearns I think was he had one of those long necks. I think the stronger your neck and your (muscles on top of your shoulders) the stronger the chin. If your caught in the sweet spot it sends a jolt down your spinal column which is why people appear to have lost their leg control, it doesnt matter how strong your legs are at that point. I think its your nervous system telling you hey chill out and lay down for a second.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Strong legs are important in boxing and Hearns had very weak legs i think this had something to do with it anyone else agree ??

I also don't think he has very weak chin he was stopped by Leonard while still on his feet and was stopped by only big punchers like Hagler and Barkley.
    I agree with you because he really could take bigger punches as he moved up, and before Hagler knocked him out Hearns was taking some huge shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i understood mate but i just disagree that strong legs are important.i dont think leg strength makes any difference whatsoever
    I thin youve never boxed
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

strong legs are important. I do not think it is a silly thread.. And a comment right out of Hearns mouth is when he fought Shuler, people were asking about his legs since the fight with Hagler they were weak, and in the postfight interview- he said, my legs were strong, I was able to go out there and do what I have to do. Something like that. So in Hearns words having strong legs lets him punch harder since he can move more and get set more..

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

but we are talking abotu strong legs in relation to takin a oucjh.not therowin one
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Strong or weak legs?...This is crazy talk.....Hearns was not a 275lb man with the legs of a lightweight....His whole frame was properly proportioned...Weak legs would only be something that could factor in during the long streatch...But not as being able to absorb a punch and stand upright while doing it...weak legs would effect mobility....

Truth is Tommy had a fair chin but his lanky frame as a whole is what hurt him...he did not have the ability to absorb punishment and be able to absorb it in one spot...

EG- Take a guy like Tyson...Short and stocky with a thick neck...he was able to absorb most of the shock of the blow that shoots down the nervous system in thoe neck and shoulder area...allowing him to keep the rest of his body planted firmly....Hearns was too lanky to be able and do such things...

If that makes sense at all

BTW someone mentioned Leonard and his fight with Tommy ...Ray was underestimated in the power dept and the toe to toe ability dept...Ray was considered a pretty fighter by7 some but make no mistake he could bang when need be
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did You see his ugly fight with Uriah Grant.Got cracked and twisted on calf and ankle,He had Both that night for sure.That was sad to see.I have heard millions of times in fights.."his legs are gone" But I think first and foremost that is a result of a soft Chin and Feeling there effects.
    A weak heart can also lead to weak legs

Thread Information