Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default hurricaine carter

hey guys im off to memorabilia next weekend and carter is one of the guests. To be honest guys ive only heard of him cause of the film but was wondering what was he like as a boxer? are there any fights that i should search out?? any help or info would be appreciated. im mainly going to meet joe but was considering getting carter's auto aswell.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: hurricaine carter

Quote Originally Posted by fugaziuk
    hey guys im off to memorabilia next weekend and carter is one of the guests. To be honest guys ive only heard of him cause of the film but was wondering what was he like as a boxer? are there any fights that i should search out?? any help or info would be appreciated. im mainly going to meet joe but was considering getting carter's auto aswell.
    Hey Fugaziuk...
    Carter was good without ever being great...
    His legacy was greatly embossed by the media for the purp[oses of the film, but undoubtedly he wasa a respectable fighter...

He was highly intimidating due to the fact that he was bestowed with an awesome physique, but like i said he was never great, just famous and popular...
    I'll look up some more for ya i have a good reference book here beside me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks mate - i would give you a cc if i knew how to do it!

ICB Guest

Im not sure i even believe Carter from what i've heard

And as for Carter as a boxer ?? he was average or little above average at best.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can only give them after 100 posts....keep working and you can CC me too. As for Carter, between the Bob Dylan song and the film, it's almost impossible in my mind that he could be as great as portrayed, but I'll defer to the more knowledgable to correct me or otherwise.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun
    You can only give them after 100 posts....keep working and you can CC me too. As for Carter, between the Bob Dylan song and the film, it's almost impossible in my mind that he could be as great as portrayed, but I'll defer to the more knowledgable to correct me or otherwise.
    Let me put it this way Super everything in the film is BS the cop in the film who was against Carter was totally untrue he was never against Carter and wasn't even on the case i think his family sued em.

ICB Guest

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, despite his lies and BS, I still like the book and the song. I guess I'll just take it with an even larger pinch of salt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was hot and cold. His biggest win was a one round tko over Emile Griffith. He was a good puncher but relied too much on that and his skills werent great. I dont think he would have ever won a major title because of that.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One eyewitness,a petty criminal who was in the area to do a burglary
    Jersey PD racially motivated?
    Strong Arming a witness?
    In the 60?
    No,never
    Keeping in mind that this is the same state that got sued for racially profiling in the 90's.
    Funny story,my buddy Joel got pulled over in Jersey in the 80's,they tried to plant a joint in the vehicle.
    How do I know it was planted in the vehicle?
    Joel has violent asthma,he cant even be in the room with a cigarette smoker,let alone something as enclosed as a car.
    Oopsie on them

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Greatest weakness about Rubin Carter wasw he never really got to show how good he could have been.

He had a lot of potential and a lot of natural talent. Knocking out Griffith in the first round is no small feat.

He never got the chance to show how great he could have been.

He was potential.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He beat Griffiths at the end of Griffiths career. He had his chances, Boxed for the Title and was soundly beaten
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You Can argue that He was Built off of KO 1 Of Emile Griffith which was Impressive and no one had done and only the Great Monzon would duplicate.
    Lost to Griffiths arch rival Luis Rodriquez over 10 in 65'
    Fought Middleweight champ Joey Giardello who had 127 pro bouts and lost lopsided fight.It was only his 25th fight.
    There was a Really good Documentary on Discovery Channel when The movie came out,Think it was called "The Eye Of the Hurricane" Really Informative.Sh!!!,Cannot remember if that's the Title.Came off sort of like a Jerk sorry to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    He beat Griffiths at the end of Griffiths career. He had his chances, Boxed for the Title and was soundly beaten
    I'll never pretend to be a Griffith Scholar but buy no means was Griffith at the end of career when He fought Carter.He fought for another 13 or so years,Lost and Regained Title went on to win,lose and Draw against top quality guys In Rodriquez,Briscoe,Benvenuti,Dick Tiger,Napoles,Monzon,Archer,and others.Carter Caught Him when Griffith still had some Great skills Imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli Surfs In 'Nawlins
    You Can argue that He was Built off of KO 1 Of Emile Griffith which was Impressive and no one had done and only the Great Monzon would duplicate.
    Lost to Griffiths arch rival Luis Rodriquez over 10 in 65'
    Fought Middleweight champ Joey Giardello who had 127 pro bouts and lost lopsided fight.It was only his 25th fight.
    There was a Really good Documentary on Discovery Channel when The movie came out,Think it was called "The Eye Of the Hurricane" Really Informative.Sh!!!,Cannot remember if that's the Title.Came off sort of like a Jerk sorry to say.
    I'll never pretend to be a Griffith Scholar but buy no means was Griffith at the end of career when He fought Carter.He fought for another 13 or so years,Lost and Regained Title went on to win,lose and Draw against top quality guys In Rodriquez,Briscoe,Benvenuti,Dick Tiger,Napoles,Monzon,Archer,and others.Carter Caught Him when Griffith still had some Great skills Imo.

Griffith definately wasnt at the end of his career. He was a changed fighter at that point thought because it was shortly after the Paret tragedy. It was like his secong boxing career. I still think 99 out of 100 times Griffith would have beat Carter. Carter just caught him on a good night.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    Greatest weakness about Rubin Carter wasw he never really got to show how good he could have been.

He had a lot of potential and a lot of natural talent. Knocking out Griffith in the first round is no small feat.

He never got the chance to show how great he could have been.

He was potential.
    Majesty I gotta applaud you fot this post.
    Very well put. I hate when people try to knock on fighters because of footage they seen or 1 or 2 fights and or something they read.
    Rubin def. had loads of potential and showed a lot throughout his career. You can def. say that his life outside of the ring effected his career but that's beside the point. If you've seen him fight you see what he was capable of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli Surfs In 'Nawlins
    Well Spicoli I'm no Griffith scholar either but I'm high on him and hes def. one of my all-time fav. I've done a lot of research and reading on him.

Come on Scrap you sir, should know better then that.
    They're is no way Griffith was at the end of his career when he fought Rubin.
    For starters Griffith was like 38-4 he finished his career at 85-24-2. That's over 60 fights that Griffith had after the Rubin loss wining over 35 fights loosing only 20. Not to mention he was the current Welterweight Champ at that time and went on to do some damage in the Middleweight div.

Thread Information