Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who Will Retire First?

First of all, credit to Fernando Vargas for knowing when to call it quits. A few fighters I can think of could learn a thing or two from the younger Vargas.

Oscar De La Hoya
    Bernard Hopkins
    Roy Jones Jr.
    Felix Trinidad
    Shane Mosley
    Evander Holyfield
    Oliver McCall
    Winky Wright
    ..and a few others

All these guys are at the end of their careers. Already this year Gatti, Vargas, Barrera, and Morales have retired after being major draws in boxing. My question is who is next? I think it will be Winky or Trinidad.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who Will Retire First?

i think all of them (but the oldest hopkins) should retire. The immortal executioner can carry his masterpiece a lot better then the rest of the old has beens

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ooh wait shane shouldn't even be in that list. His still going strong imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, though I could see Jones Jr. retiring soon also. You should also add to your list Baldomir, as he didn't look so hot the other night...
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION
    I agree, though I could see Jones Jr. retiring soon also. You should also add to your list Baldomir, as he didn't look so hot the other night...
    All of the other fighters named are decent fighters, Baldomir doesn't belong anywhere near that list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius "Marvelous" Rain
    I disagree. I think he looked old agaisnt Cotto. His movement seemed very diminished although he was still competitive I think his in next performance he will look even older. Maybe he shouldnt be on the list,but I think now is a good time for him to retire, or after one more fight.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by LEGION
    All of the other fighters named are decent fighters, Baldomir doesn't belong anywhere near that list
    I thought about Baldomir but I could put 100 fighters on the list so I kept it simple, with the big names of the 90s.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    Quote Originally Posted by Julius "Marvelous" Rain
    I disagree. I think he looked old agaisnt Cotto. His movement seemed very diminished although he was still competitive I think his in next performance he will look even older. Maybe he shouldnt be on the list,but I think now is a good time for him to retire, or after one more fight.
    yea his clearly past his best days but the fact that shane and cotto going at it for 12 rounds and nobody flinches is a huge sign of both strong figters and at shanes age fighting a seriel killer like cottos is a huge feat and not getting stopped. It was a close fight and a very entertaining one imo. going into the fight i think shane was the best welterweight and that division is very very deep with talent. But now cotto has won i think his the best at that division and shane near by.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

felix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope its Evander,this comeback has really just been a mirage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can add Virgil hill to the list who's been active longer he's been going since 1984 is there anyone been active longer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by telboy66
    You can add Virgil hill to the list who's been active longer he's been going since 1984 is there anyone been active longer?
    He should retire but doubt he will. Im just curious who you think will retire first, not so much who should retire first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think possiblly Hill will ,certainly before Holyfield

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First of all, credit to Fernando Vargas for knowing when to call it quits. A few fighters I can think of could learn a thing or two from the younger Vargas.

Oscar De La Hoya
    Bernard Hopkins
    Roy Jones Jr.
    Felix Trinidad
    Shane Mosley
    Evander Holyfield
    Oliver McCall
    Winky Wright
    ..and a few others

All these guys are at the end of their careers. Already this year Gatti and Vargas have retired after being major draws in boxing. My question is who is next? I think it will be Winky or Trinidad.
    Oscar De La Hoya keeps getting fights he doesn't deserve. Great at one point, but needs to get out of the way NOW.

Bernard Hopkins should still keep fighting. He hasn't lost in a while or showed signs that he can't fight anymore. His style allows him to fight for a couple more years.

Roy Jones and Felix Trinidad should call their fight "One Last Time" cause there is no way these two should be fighting after their collision.

Shane Mosley
    proved he still has the ability to fight the big fights. But one or two more then good bye Sugar Shane.

Evander Holyfield should've retired after the second Lennox Lewis fight.

Oliver McCall...WOW I can't believe someone said that name! But yes, he should retire.

Winky Wright also has a style that can keep him in the ring for years to come as well.

You did forget to mention the retirements of probably two of the best of the lighter fighters EVER! Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by caleoh12

Oscar De La Hoya
    Bernard Hopkins
    Roy Jones Jr.
    Felix Trinidad
    Shane Mosley
    Evander Holyfield
    Oliver McCall
    Winky Wright
    ..and a few others

All these guys are at the end of their careers. Already this year Gatti and Vargas have retired after being major draws in boxing. My question is who is next? I think it will be Winky or Trinidad.
    Oscar De La Hoya keeps getting fights he doesn't deserve. Great at one point, but needs to get out of the way NOW.

Bernard Hopkins should still keep fighting. He hasn't lost in a while or showed signs that he can't fight anymore. His style allows him to fight for a couple more years.

Roy Jones and Felix Trinidad should call their fight "One Last Time" cause there is no way these two should be fighting after their collision.

Shane Mosley
    proved he still has the ability to fight the big fights. But one or two more then good bye Sugar Shane.

Evander Holyfield should've retired after the second Lennox Lewis fight.

Oliver McCall...WOW I can't believe someone said that name! But yes, he should retire.

Winky Wright also has a style that can keep him in the ring for years to come as well.

You did forget to mention the retirements of probably two of the best of the lighter fighters EVER! Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera!!!
    good call. They have been added. I guess it hasnt sunk in that Barrera and Morales have finally retired. And at a good time imo.

Thread Information