Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mirror Match

I hope this hasn't been posted on before, but my dad and I always go back and forth over this fantasy fight.

Joe Frasier and Mike Tyson, who in my opinion, are almost identical in what they brought to the table.

They are both squat and strong, they both have nasty lunging left hooks, they both employed good head movement in their primes, and they were both always coming forward. I always thought you couldn't find two more identical styles to pair up.

My dad thinks Joe would win, on account of he's from a tougher era, used to being hit and hitting a much more hardy type of opponent. I always said Mike had the speed department locked up, and his trunk movement was pretty fantastic in his prime, too. I think the fight would be decided on hooks, and I gotta say, I still believe that, in their primes, NO one could hook as violently or as quickly as Iron Mike in the late 80's.

Sorry if its been brought up before, but hopefully i can get a good run of votes to email to pops.

Some of the others we argued about: Foreman vs Marciano ( I say Foreman. Too gosh damn long and big). Louis vs Foreman (waffled a bit on this , but took Foreman on size early.) Marciano vs Louis (prime Louis) , I went with Joe on this one, who in my mind, may have been the greatest boxer of all time in his prime.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mirror Match

Heres CC#9 on me and welcome aboard the Saddo Express.
    Remember protect yourself at all times and throw back so as long as it's clean.

I would take Frazier over Tyson I just feel that Frazier was more durable and was all about being in your face. Early on Tyson showed that if he hit you with his best shot and he didn't spark you out he'd get a little discouraged. I fancey Fraziers hook slightly better then Tysons, Frazier mustard his better and put more of his body into it.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fisticuffs
    I hope this hasn't been posted on before, but my dad and I always go back and forth over this fantasy fight.

Joe Frasier and Mike Tyson, who in my opinion, are almost identical in what they brought to the table.

They are both squat and strong, they both have nasty lunging left hooks, they both employed good head movement in their primes, and they were both always coming forward. I always thought you couldn't find two more identical styles to pair up.

My dad thinks Joe would win, on account of he's from a tougher era, used to being hit and hitting a much more hardy type of opponent. I always said Mike had the speed department locked up, and his trunk movement was pretty fantastic in his prime, too. I think the fight would be decided on hooks, and I gotta say, I still believe that, in their primes, NO one could hook as violently or as quickly as Iron Mike in the late 80's.

Sorry if its been brought up before, but hopefully i can get a good run of votes to email to pops.

Some of the others we argued about: Foreman vs Marciano ( I say Foreman. Too gosh damn long and big). Louis vs Foreman (waffled a bit on this , but took Foreman on size early.) Marciano vs Louis (prime Louis) , I went with Joe on this one, who in my mind, may have been the greatest boxer of all time in his prime.
    Hello again good to see your active here anyway Frazier was a slow starter and that worries me against someone like Tyson. It depends really i would say Tyson early or Frazier late its 50/50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fisticuffs

Hello again good to see your active here anyway Frazier was a slow starter and that worries me against someone like Tyson. It depends really i would say Tyson early or Frazier late its 50/50.

Well there goes my post on the subject ......It is one or the other no middle on this one...
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    Heres CC#9 on me and welcome aboard the Saddo Express.
    Remember protect yourself at all times and throw back so as long as it's clean.

I would take Frazier over Tyson I just feel that Frazier was more durable and was all about being in your face. Early on Tyson showed that if he hit you with his best shot and he didn't spark you out he'd get a little discouraged. I fancey Fraziers hook slightly better then Tysons, Frazier mustard his better and put more of his body into it.
    I think a prime Tyson was every bit as destructive as George Foreman and would have blasted Frazier out in 4 or 5 rounds. If Joe made it past 6 he'd have a great chance but I reckon Tyson would smoke him indeed. :P

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Question is would Frazier have fought back when Tyson hit him ?
    Answer is yes - so Frazier wins.
    Tyson lost every BIG fight were the other guy fought back
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I feel this is a difficult subject to assess.
    Frazier was a great fighter, but his arsenal was nowhere near as vast as Mike's.
    Joe had the hook and perhaps right hand, Mike had Hooks, uppercuts, that short right and a stunning jab when he bothered to use it. I have no doubt that Frazier would have walked straight to Tyson, because thats virtually all Joe's fighting mentality and fighting style allowed him to do...

On the one hand i can see Joe walking in allowing Mike to step to the left away from the hook thus openoing the opportunity for Tyson's speed to rip him to pieces and losing in Foreman like fashion

On the other i can see Joe walking in on Tyson, weathering the early storm and constantly firing back. Mike tires after 5 and Joe keeps coming....After that it's a question of Tyson's chin and resolve and i see him stopped in 8-10.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al
    No he didn't im sorry i may not like Tyson but he fought back plenty of times when he was big with big shots aka Ruddock x2, Tucker, Bruno,

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al
    No he didn't im sorry i may not like Tyson but he fought back plenty of times when he was big with big shots aka Ruddock x2, Tucker, Bruno,
    Ice i ment THE BIG FIGHTS , like Holyfield - Lewis etc and a fight with Frazier would be in that league .GET MY POINT Tyson was a bully full stop
    and Ruddock - Bruno etc are not BIG 50/50 fights.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For me, this isnt an equal match up. Fraizer was an inside fighter. Tyson was a walk-through-you, Bully fighter.

You may need to look into this somewhat but Tyson was excellent at reading and bobing under hooks, coming back with his own speedy mega-ton bombs.

Fraizer is all left hook. His head movement was good but left after left after left....

Tyson would have no problems reading and responding effectively for the 1st third of the fight. The part where i give Fraizer little to no chance of winning. He'd have left and right hooks and HUGE uppercuts at his disposal. Very big possibility of Fraizers 5ft 10, 205lbs self getting stopped early.

From the 5th onwards.... Well i cant deny that once Fraizer began to smoke, there was little you could do about it.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Boogie. Frazier was very fast, I don't think Tyson was a lot faster than him. Tyson had faster hands, but he didn't have the same foot speed IMO its kind of like Frazier as Hatton and Tyson as Cotto. However I feel that Tyson had the better chin, and he hits quite a bit harder than Frazier. Another thing going for Tyson is that he was better defensive than Frazier, and a little more polished. I think Frazier would do all right like he did against Foreman until he got hit by a few solid punches. I can't see Tyson losing this one. People say that Frazier had a better left hook than Tyson, but I say they were equal I mean if you've seen Tyson left hook its text book technique with great speed and power just like Frazier's, but I think Tyson set his up more while Frazier just threw it a lot. I see Tyson trying to figure Frazier out of the first few rounds then catching him good once or twice and then Frazier would be broken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also I think that Tyson was not just a walk through you kind of guy unless he could steam roll you. He boxed very well against the boxers, he would slip punches and pick his shots. Frazier was a pressure fighter more than just a pure inside fighter, but that is another thing I forgot. Frazier could win if he tied Tyson up on the inside or beat him to the punch. Tyson always waited for the right moment against Holyfield and that cost him.

Thread Information