Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default New Boxing Book - A Great Read

The book I have slaved over for quite some time now is finally available for purchase. I truly feel that everyone in the boxing world should read this book; there is so much you will get out of it.

BUY THE BOOK BY COPYING AND PASTING THIS LINK

http://www.lulu.com/content/1499553

BOOK PREVIEW:

In essence, Bringing Back Boxing, A Young Journalist's Attempt to Revive the Sweet Science is exactly what its title states: an upstart writer's attempt to restore the passion of fans that once drove the fight game. Author Dan Horgan takes readers inside today's incredible boxing world by touching upon everyone and everything positive in it.

Since the inception of internet media, boxing has been given a bad wrap. Countless fight journalists gain respect through trashing the sweet science and all of its components; this negativity has carried over to mainstream media, and boxing is losing fans as a result.

Boxing is in need of a large piece of positive print. The storied sport that has helped so many does not deserve to be the victim of consistent criticism. Bringing Back Boxing, A Young Journalist's Attempt to Revive the Sweet Science goes against the current trend of negativity, and highlights the optimistic aspects that make modern boxing so special.

For anyone who has an interest in the fight game, this book is a must read. From the sport's biggest names to its working class, author Horgan tackles all topics of today's boxing world. In Bringing Back Boxing, A Young Journalist's Attempt to Revive the Sweet Science, readers will find exclusive interviews, opinions, and analysis from boxing's biggest names and analytical vanguards. In addition, they will find Horgan's top articles from the past year.

Table of Contents

Chapter 1: Having a Say: Horgan illuminates on his journey leading up to his boxing journalism tenure. With a witty style that immediately captures readers' interest, Horgan introduces himself and the incredible boxing world which he is about to describe.

Chapter 2: The Big Names: Having spoken with many of boxing's superstars (including heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis and 'Million Dollar Baby' actress Lucia Rijker), Horgan is able to take readers inside the heads of the fight game's biggest names. With exclusive information on fighters' personalities (derived from Horgan's personal encounters with these pugilists), Horgan enlightens readers to the magic produced by boxing's luminaries.

Chapter 3: The New York Scene Lives on Through Fans and Culture: Throughout the history of boxing, New York City has been one of the world's biggest fight towns. Homebred fighters like Jake LaMotta and Mike Tyson stirred the souls of countless die hard boxing aficionados with their provincial hard working style of fighting.

Despite its history, however, the New York boxing scene is on the decline. Prospects, who used to be a dime a dozen, are now hard to come by, and many of New York's top pugs are faltering at the global level. But through fans and culture, the boxing scene in New York City lives on.

Horgan takes readers inside this incredible clique through interviews, analysis, and fight reports.

Chapter 4: Boxing Vs. Mixed Martial Arts: Horgan tackles the very controversial issue that has been boxing's hottest topic for the past few years. With exclusive opinions and analysis from boxing analytical vanguards, readers are enlightened to what boxing's media bigwigs really think of MMA. Includes exclusive opinions and analysis from:

-Thomas Gerbasi, Editor of Maxboxing.com and UFC.com

-Bernard Fernandez, Boxing Writer for the Philadelphia Daily News

-Steve Kim, Contributor to Maxboxing.com

-Ben Cohen, Contributing Editor, Secondsout.com

-Sal Acevedo Jr., Editor-in-chief, Primer Round Magazine

-Coyote Duran, Associate Editor, Doghouseboxing.com

-Ryan Songalia, 20 year old Fox Sports Boxing Writer

-Frances Martel, 20 year old Ringtalk.com Columnist and Radio Analyst

-Thomas Rohan, Editor-in-chief, Irish-boxing.com

-Shannon Briggs, Former Two Time Heavyweight Champion of the World

Chapter 5: The International Scene: Boxing in America is on the decline, but for the rest of the world, the exact opposite is true. Horgan highlights the incredible hold international fighters still have on their respective countries. Includes features on Mexico, Brazil, Ireland, and the UK.

Chapter 6: Boxing on Myspace.com: Boxing fans have found a new way to connect: a social networking website that goes by the name of MySpace. Horgan takes readers into the largely undiscovered subculture with features and interviews.

Chapter 7: Boxing Writing at its Best: Today's boxing writers are an intricate part of the sport's popularity. Through the internet, many writers have gained large followings.

Horgan talks about today's boxing media and its impact on the sport's future. He also highlights today's top boxing websites and magazines.

Chapter 8: Mixed Boxer Interviews: In his year and a half of covering boxing, Horgan has interviewed a myriad of pugilists. In this chapter, Horgan organizes his interviews and takes readers further into his conversations. Includes interview reactions and features on the fighters' personalities.

Chapter 9: The Best of the Rest -- A Collection of My Top Stories: Horgan divides the rest of his top articles into three sections: fight reports, editorials, and features and previews. This chapter serves as a time capsule of modern boxing. Aficionados will become lost in boxing's immediate past by reading articles and opinions that were once up to the minute; new fans will learn an immense amount of information on the past few years of boxing.

Chapter 10: Boxing's Future: Where will boxing be twenty years from now? How can it improve? Who are the future stalwarts of the game? With the help of boxing's top journalists, Horgan answers all of these questions and more in the book's conclusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: New Boxing Book - A Great Read

Good luck with your book sales. Im sure youve invested a lot into into it. Hopefully you didnt ask Shannon Briggs his opinion of his own career
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you. And no, Briggs actually talks about MMA in the book. I know better than to ask him about his own career, haha. You gotta love the guy.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm quite surprised not to see a section in the book about how the magic matchups of 2007 have already started to revive the fortunes of boxing. The basic fact is that the sport cannot survive unless the big matchups of the most famous names in the sport are made, which had been on the slide since the 90s really, and that is what seems to have returned this year.

Anyhow, good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun
    I'm quite surprised not to see a section in the book about how the magic matchups of 2007 have already started to revive the fortunes of boxing. The basic fact is that the sport cannot survive unless the big matchups of the most famous names in the sport are made, which had been on the slide since the 90s really, and that is what seems to have returned this year.

Anyhow, good luck!
    Although there is no specific chapter in the book about the big 2007 fights, they are mentioned frequently throughout the book.

And thanks for the kind words.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds like an interesting read, if it appears on Amazon.co.uk I will definitely purchase a copy. I can't stand to read PDF books though so it has to be in printed form.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Sounds like an interesting read, if it appears on Amazon.co.uk I will definitely purchase a copy. I can't stand to read PDF books though so it has to be in printed form.
    Surely to fall into the definition of a book it has to be in the printed form. I read enough computer screens at work, so I don't think I could read a pdf version of a book.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Surely to fall into the definition of a book it has to be in the printed form. I read enough computer screens at work, so I don't think I could read a pdf version of a book.
    Yep but the link he gave had a downloadable copy or a paperback version. I only buy online from Amazon as I'm too lazy to register details with anyone else so if they sell it I will buy it.

Plus if it doesn't make it to Amazon who let's face it will sell practically anything I wouldn't consider it worth reading.

But if Amazon do stock it I'll buy a copy immediately to check it out.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep but the link he gave had a downloadable copy or a paperback version. I only buy online from Amazon as I'm too lazy to register details with anyone else so if they sell it I will buy it.

Plus if it doesn't make it to Amazon who let's face it will sell practically anything I wouldn't consider it worth reading.

But if Amazon do stock it I'll buy a copy immediately to check it out.
    I imagine if I started reading a PDF book all the staring at the screen would just be so tiring on the eyes and eventually I'd hypnotise myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

THIS IS SPAM AND SHOULD BE MOVED ACCORDINGLY...Want To Advertise Ads are Available On The Front Page!!!
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Daxx Kahn
    THIS IS SPAM AND SHOULD BE MOVED ACCORDINGLY...Want To Advertise Ads are Available On The Front Page!!!
    A bit heartless Daxx the poor lad has obviously put a lot of time into writing his book, don't need to slam the door in his face as if he's a Mormon or something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A bit heartless Daxx the poor lad has obviously put a lot of time into writing his book, don't need to slam the door in his face as if he's a Mormon or something

It's not heartless...do you think this is just a poor guy who spent all his time and efforts and used his last dime to hopefully write this book then found saddo boxing forums as the one true place he knows that there are top notch fans that would appreciate his hard efforts?........

These guys hit up every boxing website there is..myspace...wait for feed back then use it as a decision on pricing, circulation, where to target the book first etc......

so mind your business and know what you are talking about before you open your mouth

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not heartless...do you think this is just a poor guy who spent all his time and efforts and used his last dime to hopefully write this book then found saddo boxing forums as the one true place he knows that there are top notch fans that would appreciate his hard efforts?........

These guys hit up every boxing website there is..myspace...wait for feed back then use it as a decision on pricing, circulation, where to target the book first etc......

so mind your business and know what you are talking about before you open your mouth
    Mind my own business? What's with the anger issues buddy I thought this was a free forum where we welcomed everybody

http://fighters-of-faith.com/dan_horgan_1

He's just a 17 year old kid mate. Give him some credit for showing some inititiave and writing a book about the sport he loves. Of course he's trying to sell it, he's probably really excited he's actually written a book and had it published.

I admire the young lad for doing something constructive and positive. If ICB or El Gamo wrote a book and then tried to promote it by visiting other boxing forums I'd personally be really pissed at people who were rude to them.

You're sounding like Scrooge to Tiny Tim, you need a hug or something? :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mind my own business? What's with the anger issues buddy I thought this was a free forum where we welcomed everybody

He's just a 17 year old kid mate. Give him some credit for showing some inititiave and writing a book about the sport he loves. Of course he's trying to sell it, he's probably really excited he's actually written a book and had it published.

I admire the young lad for doing something constructive and positive. If ICB or El Gamo wrote a book and then tried to promote it by visiting other boxing forums I'd personally be really pissed at people who were rude to them.

Just in a S***** mood mate....so I am a bit of a D*** at the moment....CC#1350...I apologize....no hard feelings

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just in a S***** mood mate....so I am a bit of a D*** at the moment....CC#1350...I apologize....no hard feelings
    No problem mate returned I'm usually the guy to get stomped on here when someones having a bad day. I'm a bit like Jesus in that regard

Thread Information