Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who is Japans Greatest Boxer?

1st and foremost I'd like to say that Japanese boxers don't get as much credit & respect as they deserve those guys give it their all and got loads of heart... With that being said heres my list of the Greatest Japanese boxers.

*Please keep in mind I have seen at least 1 full fight on each fighter plus in some cases I've see highlights. I don't know the whole story behind their entire careers but I read and did as much research as I could to do my best and compile my list of Japans greatest.

1. Fighting Harada
    2. Masao Ohba (Freakishly similar story to Sanchez had already beaten some big names with a record of 35-2 and he was also 23 when he died)
    3. Jiro Watanabe
    4. Yoko Gushiken
    5. Hiroshi Kobayashi
    6. Guts Ishimatsu
    7. Joichiro Tatsuyoshi
    8. Koichi Wajima
    9. Yoshiaki Numata
    10. Takanori Hatakeyama

Honorable mentions to: Mitsunori Seki & Royal Kobayashi

- More on Masao... He picked up the WBA Flyweight title from Chartvanchai in '70 on the day after his 21sy B-Day. Now check this out as his 1st defense he takes on none other then IMO (IBHF) Venzuelas greatest boxer Betulio Gonzalez and wins a pretty close decision, as if that wasn't enough he later takes on his mandatory Orlando Amores and KO's him in 5. He then takes on (IBHF) Thailand great Chartchai Chionoi where Masao hits the canvas from a right hook in round 1 and was almost finished there Masao got up very slowly but still Chionoi just didn't finish him. Masao gathered himself and slowly got himself back together he started putting his punches together and in the 12 he drops Chionoi 3 times and KO's Chionoi with a good combination of punches. This win was a great win in his career this was like Sanchez's win over Gomez a career defining win but sadly Masao died in a car accident about 3 weeks later while driving a Corvette.

What are your thoughts on Sanchez & Masaos lifes in how similar they are?
    Who do you see as Japans greatest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who is Japans Greatest Boxer?

I'd go with Piston Honda.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I completely forgot to mention that Masao hurt his right ankle when he fell to the canvas from Chionois right hook... ANd fought thru 12 rounds with a bad ankle...

I found a highlight video on YouTube of his career defining fight and tragically his last fight this one was one for the ages.....
    (Masao is the one wearing white trunks.)

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZTzSndEjhg

ICB Guest

Shinji Takehara Won Middleweight title off Jorge Fernando Castro. Nowhere near the best Japanese boxer of all time but i think he might be only Japanese boxer to ever win Middleweight World Title so he for certain deserves a mention.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you'd talk about who's the most popular, I'd say Harada, and because of that many sez he's the best. But if you look at it more objectively, I think Gushiken is the best. He became a champ at 20 and held the championship belt for four straight years, defending it 12 consecutive times, which was an Asian record at that time (I think around 1980) - the record that was surpassed after several years by Thai boxer Khaosai Galaxy. While most boxers reach their peak at around their late 20's, Gushiken reached his peak in his early 20's. But unfortunately, the undefeated champ just couldn't take his first defeat and retired right after that when he was only around 24 years of age, never stepping on the ring again as a fighter... But no matter what I say, most would still say Harada was the best and I wouldn't argue with that.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IPPO!!!!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker
    Shinji Takehara Won Middleweight title off Jorge Fernando Castro. Nowhere near the best Japanese boxer of all time but i think he might be only Japanese boxer to ever win Middleweight World Title so he for certain deserves a mention.
    CC#1504 Pernell... Thanks for your input...
    Takehara falls under the honor mentions for me just not enough for top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by penalosafan
    If you'd talk about who's the most popular, I'd say Harada, and because of that many sez he's the best. But if you look at it more objectively, I think Gushiken is the best. He became a champ at 20 and held the championship belt for four straight years, defending it 12 consecutive times, which was an Asian record at that time (I think around 1980) - the record that was surpassed after several years by Thai boxer Khaosai Galaxy. While most boxers reach their peak at around their late 20's, Gushiken reached his peak in his early 20's. But unfortunately, the undefeated champ just couldn't take his first defeat and retired right after that when he was only around 24 years of age, never stepping on the ring again as a fighter... But no matter what I say, most would still say Harada was the best and I wouldn't argue with that.
    CC#157 penalosa, IMO what hurts Yoko the most is quality of opposition. On title def. and reign as champ he excelled but quality of opp. again hurts him. His toughest opponent was Vargas who contested for a title 4 times fighting Canto twice and fighting Betulio once and Yoko once. Other then that I don't see any other opponent that stands out. Some of them had no business fighting for a title but I will credit him as I said for title defenses & reign as champ/accomplishments. Thanks for your input.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC's Mick for an absolutely AWESOME thread and CC Penelosafan. As you guys know,I LOVE learning about fighters and I think Jap fighters are probably most under rated,even now,Hoseumi Hasegawa,Niida and Takefumi Sakata,all SUPERB fighters in their own rights. I'm watching Fighting Harada v Bernardo Carabella tonight.Should be good.

Are there any other Masoa Ohba fights around?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jorge Linares
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    CC's Mick for an absolutely AWESOME thread and CC Penelosafan. As you guys know,I LOVE learning about fighters and I think Jap fighters are probably most under rated,even now,Hoseumi Hasegawa,Niida and Takefumi Sakata,all SUPERB fighters in their own rights. I'm watching Fighting Harada v Bernardo Carabella tonight.Should be good.

CC#2197 Gamo.... Thanks.
    I agree Hasegawa, Niida & Sakata are well on their way to placing themselves among the greatest. Your gonna love Harada vs. Caraballo very entertaining fight and Harada showed tremendous skill in that fight. I always asked myself if Harada ever wore another pair of trunks as I think I've always seen him in white trunks.

On the net I haven't come across any Masoa fights the fight I saw was the Chionoi fight on TV. You know the score Gamo if I ever seen anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo

CC#2197 Gamo.... Thanks.
    I agree Hasegawa, Niida & Sakata are well on their way to placing themselves among the greatest. Your gonna love Harada vs. Caraballo very entertaining fight and Harada showed tremendous skill in that fight. I always asked myself if Harada ever wore another pair of trunks as I think I've always seen him in white trunks.

On the net I haven't come across any Masoa fights the fight I saw was the Chionoi fight on TV. You know the score Gamo if I ever seen anything.
    Good man Mick .Hahah,I'm going to look out for Harada's trunks,I' never noticed them before(I have about 3 of his fights)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    I'd go with Piston Honda.

LOL yeah he was mean.
    WHO NEXT ?Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Harada beats the great Eder Jofre twice! That's it done and dusted, Harada is the best for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's hard to go against Harada....The guy is a legend..perhaps Japans first legend....the again I could just be a sentimental favor of the old school
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    I completely forgot to mention that Masao hurt his right ankle when he fell to the canvas from Chionois right hook... ANd fought thru 12 rounds with a bad ankle...

I found a highlight video on YouTube of his career defining fight and tragically his last fight this one was one for the ages.....
    (Masao is the one wearing white trunks.)

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZTzSndEjhg
    Impressive performance and great comeback from that right hook!

Thread Information