Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHo's the biggest threat to Mayweather right now?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default WHo's the biggest threat to Mayweather right now?

OUt these three who is the biggest threat for Mayweather?
    1. Miguel Cotto: He is sneaky fast, moreso than Hatton. He has timing that reminds me of prime Tyson that makes him very accurate because he also throws the right punch at the right time. He has good enough power probably not to take Mayweather out, but he could put Mayweather in the same defensive mode he was in against Oscar. One thing that I love about Cotto is that he remains calm under any situation, in terms of concentration him and Mayweather are very alike and this makes them so hard to beat because they are so focused, and they don't make many mistakes.
    2. Shane Mosley: still very fast, he doesn't fight mentally at the same speed as he use to, but he has that granite chin along with good skills, and he is really strong. I think he is the least threatening person on this list because he has poor timing and the right person can outbox which I believe Mayweahter is.
    3. Paul Williams: perhaps the most dangerous person for Mayweather to fight. This guy reminds me of Ali with his reach and hand and footspeed, but he lacks the finer skills on the outside which he would need IMO to beat Floyd. He doesn't sit down enough on his punches, and he doesn't use the outside game enough, but once he gets those things down he will be an All time great. He's easy to hit, but he's hard to fall. He throws a million punches like its nothing, but many of those punches are nothing because he doesn't have his feet set when he punchess 90% of the time and he doesn't have the snap that Ali, Leonard, Hearns all possesed. Despite all his faults IMO this Mayweather's biggest threat because Paul is such an amazing athlete and he is good and comfortable anywhere.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: WHo's the biggest threat to Mayweather right now?

Taeth I don't know if it's just me BUT when I read your posts I almost always disagree with you. This time your assesment on Williams IMO is waaay off.
    Williams foot & hand speed like Ali's? I must be loosing my mind....
    Ali had blazing hand speed, Williams hand speed looks good but I wouldn't compare it to Alis.
    Also footspeed? I'm sorry but either I really don't know what foot speed is or you and I have different opinions on it.

I can respect that you think Williams will be one day and All Time Great.
    But wow! that's really saying a lot especially at this point in Williams career. But hey! to each it's own.....

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And here I thought I would probably never agree with you on a post...

Looks like we can agree on somethings...

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Personally it was a slug fest between two fighters that were so much more than that. Hearns was perhaps one of the best outside fighters we've ever seen, and Hagler was one of the best come through anything type fighters we've ever seen. I think this fight if it wasn't so frantic would have been better in some ways, but worse in pure excitement which in terms of that I don't think many fights match it because its so fast paced, such hard punches are landed and these two are as good as it gets I mean they were the two best at the time.
    CC#243 on me Taeth.... I actually agree with you here.
    Well said...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

himself.. if he gets too cocky now and actually thinks he can beat anybody it will cost him. Somone like cotto, Williams and Margarito would give him that reality check. But if he prepares and comes into the fight mentally there and knows these men are a threat to him he will beat them

ICB Guest

Williams has good boxing skills and uses angles very well on the inside and outside. He is nothing like Ali IMO, Ali used flicking jab and used to dance on his toes, plus Ali's offense is nothing like Williams. I am impressed how Williams does mix up his attack to body and head and his work rate is amazing, Mayweather would counter Williams a lot though, because basically Williams offense is his defense, and he will leave a lot of counter opportunity's for Mayweather its a 50/50 match up IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    Taeth I don't know if it's just me BUT when I read your posts I almost always disagree with you. This time your assesment on Williams IMO is waaay off.
    Williams foot & hand speed like Ali's? I must be loosing my mind....
    Ali had blazing hand speed, Williams hand speed looks good but I wouldn't compare it to Alis.
    Also footspeed? I'm sorry but either I really don't know what foot speed is or you and I have different opinions on it.

I can respect that you think Williams will be one day and All Time Great.
    But wow! that's really saying a lot especially at this point in Williams career. But hey! to each it's own.....
    watch them side by side, I was surprised to because I was watching Williams-Margarito then I watcehd MAyweather-hatton after and it seemed quite slow so I went back and I was seeing Williams and he was punching extremely fast, and he was moving around as quick or quick than Mayweather was against HAtton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By the way I am not talking about p4p he's as fast as Ali because thats ridiculous I don't think anyone except maybe Roy Jones ever was that fast, but if you match them up its the same kind of speed, but Ali had more snap and 60 pounds top go along with it, and he was a far better boxer, but they are both good on the inside throwing combinations, they both get tagged and they both have good chins, but the comparison stops there. I was just comapring Williams speed to somebody with his reach. I think he is taller and has a much longer reach than HEarns so I can't compare them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

watch them side by side, I was surprised to because I was watching Williams-Margarito then I watcehd MAyweather-hatton after and it seemed quite slow so I went back and I was seeing Williams and he was punching extremely fast, and he was moving around as quick or quick than Mayweather was against HAtton.
    This was probably due to the fact that Margarito is much much slower than Hatton. So Williams looked faster than he really is. Williams is fast, but he's not Mayweather-fast.

ICB Guest

By the way I am not talking about p4p he's as fast as Ali because thats ridiculous I don't think anyone except maybe Roy Jones ever was that fast, but if you match them up its the same kind of speed, but Ali had more snap and 60 pounds top go along with it, and he was a far better boxer, but they are both good on the inside throwing combinations, they both get tagged and they both have good chins, but the comparison stops there. I was just comapring Williams speed to somebody with his reach. I think he is taller and has a much longer reach than HEarns so I can't compare them.
    Williams has the reach of a big Heavyweight thats amazing.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo "Finito" Lopez
    Williams has good boxing skills and uses angles very well on the inside and outside. He is nothing like Ali IMO, Ali used flicking jab and used to dance on his toes, plus Ali's offense is nothing like Williams. I am impressed how Williams does mix up his attack to body and head and his work rate is amazing, Mayweather would counter Williams a lot though, because basically Williams offense is his defense, and he will leave a lot of counter opportunity's for Mayweather its a 50/50 match up IMO.
    Good assesment on Williams here.
    The angles and the way he drops the shoulder and rolls up with a shot reminds me of the style that Toney used against Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    This was probably due to the fact that Margarito is much much slower than Hatton. So Williams looked faster than he really is. Williams is fast, but he's not Mayweather-fast.
    Spot on Pea it's not hard to look fast against Margarito I mean even when he's going full blast (See the Johnson fight) you can see the punches coming. Another thing is that Williams almost seems to 'slap' his punches and doesn't put enough mustard on them....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think that mayweather cant stays as a welterweight right now cause its 2many threats from every where in the welterweight division right now. I'm not gonna say Margarito Or Cintron has anything but a punchers chance they cant catch him. Paul Williams is 6'1 his punches are not accurate but if you cant stay inside and take him out his constant pressure with that long reach thats where i say mayweather would have serious problems. The only reason you could try to right him off cause he hasn't faught many big names but margarito big as hell i understand why he didn't knock him out. Cotto will Handle Mayweather cause he has constanst pressure he sticks to his game and remains calm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Apples and oranges ... they are two very different fights. Williams stayed on the outside and popped Margarito at will. Hatton got inside and Floyd fought him there. Don't see how Floyd's speed is going to be nearly as evident in that situation.

Put Hatton in with Williams, and Floyd in with Margarito, and then compare Wms-Hatton with PBF-Hatton, and Williams-Margarito with Floyd-Margarito. Then you may have some talking points.

Or do you think Williams would keep Hatton at a convenient distance as he did Margarito? That in itself would be a feat.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mark Cuban

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I haven't seen that Williams is disciplined enough yet, if he focused completely on the jab and keeping distance it could be an akward night for Floyd but I don't think he's quite ready yet.

I would say Cotto right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say Cotto is the number threat to floyd. He's a relentless agressor. He will break your ribs.

Paul Williams deffinitely comes in next with his reach factor.

Thread Information