Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to crack a shelled opponent.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How to crack a shelled opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    He's got his elbows in and is making "ear muffs" with his gloves? Take your right hand and punch his left glove, moving it out of the way for the left uppercut you throw behind it. Throw a left hook behind both his gloves and pull them down to clear the way for your right hand.
    Really, folks, watch some tapes. Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Davey Green and DLH vs R Ruelas come to mind, just off the top.
    Yeah !
    or when that arm comes down throw another into the crook above his elbow and the opposite arm over the top of it as you turn in.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Step back out into the middle of the ring and wait for him to come forwards to you and time him and which arm he will throw or drop ,before doing anything.
    If hes still covered up you have more room and time to choke him out with one arm as you get around on an angle into his weaker side with the other hand loaded and at the ready.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good posts everyone! Hey Andre, Jesse's tapes has some good techniques that would come in handy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    Chris did you ever see what Frazier said about Marciano ?? he said that if Ali would of done the rope a dope vs Marciano, Marciano would of broke his arms

But that tactic is actually good for fighters like Winky Wright, hit him on the arms and shoulders, if you hit him in the right place you can even give him a dead arm, i never see this tactic used anymore.
    I remember Joe Frazier mention that. I think part of the success of Ali of pulling it off against Foreman is in the way that Foreman threw his punches. It would have been a different story if Joe Louis was in the ring that night instead.

I don't think it would work on Wright, for one he's not going to stand still and let you use his arms like a punching bag. But if you have an opponent that just stands in front of you coving up, and if you have more than enough stamina, then by all means work on their arms at least until something better comes along. I see it as good way to wear someone down. Imagine if the "Hispanic causing Panic" Andrada had this in his arsenal.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    When somebody walls up theres usualy 2 reasons they are doing it to defend while they are looking to counter, or they cant work your distance and you will give it to them by what they make you do. Ive always loved fighters who could counter a counter its pure Boxing. While you stick your Jab just touch his glove, but while your doing it never leave yourself in the same distance level and angle keep stepping. Let him take the chance and risk make him do the worrying eventually he will commit and open up thats when your patiance will reep rewards.
    excellent as always !

touching is very important , varying your power … don't load up all the time , just simply knock on the door a few times , eventually someone will answer it, then be ready to mugem ! patience is so important in this sport .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

, just simply knock on the door a few times , eventually someone will answer it, then be ready to mugem ! patience is so important in this sport .
    [/quote]

good analogy. very devious. it really puts it in perspective. I've been wasting my energy swatting at his guard, when i could have just very easily plinked away at his guard with my jab while trying to set up my angles.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

An "in-close"Uppercut to the centre of the gloves/guard always starts the procedure for me, just to test how tight he holds them and how much abuse the guard will take before falling.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also if you simply step back out of range,he feels instinctivley that its his move, many fire a shot after you that you can follow back home if your thinking about it all occuring before it does.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Most versions of the double high guard take serious speed
    Wether its the Mexican one high,thats built for lightweights to point on the jab,or the Tyson(not just Tyson obviously but it was the most checkable version that came to mind)double high thats built to come forward and close.
    An obnoxious thing to do with the double high,jab the gloves and let them punch themselves

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
    a low blow will get his hands down every time.
    I've tried that, but then he'd pop me a quick one in my face.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think a lot of guys are speaking about the hands straight up style to, like Winky a bit Holding them up really high really tight. I always just work around the sides on the exposed ribs for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    I think a lot of guys are speaking about the hands straight up style to, like Winky a bit Holding them up really high really tight. I always just work around the sides on the exposed ribs for that.
    Hit the gloves,let them hit themselves
    Sure its dirty,so what,they want to fight that stupid ass style,they have to deal with the issues it presents

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't really see it as dirty and it is an idea.

A question I have. Last night in sparring the trainer made us do an extra two rounds on the inside . One of us would throw a (full force) combination while the other would defend and it would alternate. However, when in range bobbing and weaving was ineffective against the taller fellow whilst he was getting his punches off, would you reccomend straight slipping or leaning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't really see it as dirty and it is an idea.

A question I have. Last night in sparring the trainer made us do an extra two rounds on the inside . One of us would throw a (full force) combination while the other would defend and it would alternate. However, when in range bobbing and weaving was ineffective against the taller fellow whilst he was getting his punches off, would you reccomend straight slipping or leaning
    If he's leading with the jab,ride it,otherwise pressure the ever living hell out of him,dont let him have his arms free enough for those big uppercuts and hooks to the body.
    Grind your elbows in to the crook of his elbow,and your chin in to his collarbone,its distracting,it hurts like hell,and it wears them down

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats pretty much my style on the inside, but for this guy my head reaches his chest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats pretty much my style on the inside, but for this guy my head reaches his chest.
    You can still get away with it
    Right at the top of his chest is the bottom of his collarbone,drive upward and shove with your chin,watch out for crosses when you do it though,you want it be quick driving pushes rather then a sustained lean like you do with a smaller guy,think of it like jabbing with your chin

Thread Information