Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I give Roy Jones credit for a statement he made tonight!!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I give Roy Jones credit for a statement he made tonight!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daxx Kahn
    Jones flat out said

"I had everything to lose back then. Calzaghe didn't. Now I need to prove something"
    Finally. I'm proud of Roy for admitting to the facts.

Look...it's like this, inside the ring...I love Roy...outsisde of it...he acts like a total tool. I've always thought that...always have & always will. I'm dying to see Calzahge on the mat with the Nard...but the thoughts of him fighting Roy get more & more mouthwatering as the months go by.

I'm still struggling with the fact that Roy's still fighting period. The way that he's lost & how he's looked since really REALLY trouble me.

The prospects of Jones getting KTFO again are very unsettling to me...but the thoughts of him shining against Calzaghe & beating him...as far fetched as those may be...they make me want the fight to materialize...& I'd love to see Jones go to Wales.

That'd be crazy as fwock!
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara
    I am sure many of you out there seen FNF tonight....did everyone who seen it catch Roy Jones comments at the end?

He said he hopes Calzaghe Hopkins comes off but if not he will buy a ticket the day after the Triniadad fight....

When Kinney asked him in the studio about going to Wales Jones said..."I'm There"...Ready to go the day after the Trinidada fight...

Then Kinney asked him about why he would not go those years in the past? and Jones flat out said

"I had everything to lose back then. Calzaghe didn't. Now I need to prove something"

He could have danced around it..he could have given BS excuses or whatever but he laid it out honestly...Why should he have risked everything. I can agree with that to a point...but I respect his honesty....I wish more guys would just flat out state stuff like that....Just be honest

Same as when Jones dodged a fight with Nigel Benn.

I have said it before on this site,Jones is regretting not making the most of his prime.
    I already answered this question in your other thread Jones never avoided Benn.

I have said it before on this site,Jones is regretting not making the most of his prime.

Roy Jones

Mike McCallum
    John Ruiz
    Clinton Woods
    Montel Griffin
    James Toney
    Bernard Hopkins
    Virgil Hill
    Vinny Pazienza
    Julio Cesar Gonzalez
    Eric Harding
    Merqui Sosa
    Thulani Malinga
    Thomas Tate
    Reggie Johnson
    Lou Del Valle

When Roy Jones won Heavyweight title, that accomplishment hadn't been since early 1900s. Jones has beaten 4 Hall Of Famers, and has won World titles at Middleweight, Super Middleweight, Light Heavyweight, Heavyweight. Yep i bet he is regretting not making the most out of his career alright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i have always liked jones. he has been great for this sport.

i hope he ko's trinidad

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    I am sure many of you out there seen FNF tonight....did everyone who seen it catch Roy Jones comments at the end?

He said he hopes Calzaghe Hopkins comes off but if not he will buy a ticket the day after the Triniadad fight....

When Kinney asked him in the studio about going to Wales Jones said..."I'm There"...Ready to go the day after the Trinidada fight...

Then Kinney asked him about why he would not go those years in the past? and Jones flat out said

He could have danced around it..he could have given BS excuses or whatever but he laid it out honestly...Why should he have risked everything. I can agree with that to a point...but I respect his honesty....I wish more guys would just flat out state stuff like that....Just be honest

Roy Jones

Mike McCallum
    John Ruiz
    Clinton Woods
    Montel Griffin
    James Toney
    Bernard Hopkins
    Virgil Hill
    Vinny Pazienza
    Julio Cesar Gonzalez
    Eric Harding
    Merqui Sosa
    Thulani Malinga
    Thomas Tate
    Reggie Johnson
    Lou Del Valle

When Roy Jones won Heavyweight title, that accomplishment hadn't been since early 1900s. Jones has beaten 4 Hall Of Famers, and has won World titles at Middleweight, Super Middleweight, Light Heavyweight, Heavyweight. Yep i bet he is regretting not making the most out of his career alright

Apart from maybe the Toney and Ruiz fights you mentioned none of the above were superfights considering that Jones was the P4P number 1 in the world at the time.

In his prime Jones did not take much risk with who he fought and he was quite open about the fact.Jones wanted lots of money and not much risk.

Now he is regreting it by fighting way past his prime which he used to say he would never do.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy Jones

Mike McCallum
    John Ruiz
    Clinton Woods
    Montel Griffin
    James Toney
    Bernard Hopkins
    Virgil Hill
    Vinny Pazienza
    Julio Cesar Gonzalez
    Eric Harding
    Merqui Sosa
    Thulani Malinga
    Thomas Tate
    Reggie Johnson
    Lou Del Valle

Apart from maybe the Toney and Ruiz fights you mentioned none of the above were superfights considering that Jones was the P4P number 1 in the world at the time.

In his prime Jones did not take much risk with who he fought and he was quite open about the fact.Jones wanted lots of money and not much risk.

Now he is regreting it by fighting way past his prime which he used to say he would never do.
    Jones never had nor never will have a "Super Fight" no matter what his status be.

That's his fault on his personality alone. Jones made his bed & now he'll have to sleep in it. Jones was as difficult & worse to deal with than Hopkins or Mayweather. He was unaccomodating & unbelieveably uncooperative. You can't walk out of interviews, dismiss the fans, & not show up for meetings if your'e on of the greats...it just prevents you from being...one of the greats.

Marketability is one of the traits that falls in line with being a super star fighter.

No matter how great Roy was...many either didn't know it or refused to buy it because of his personality.

He fwocked himself.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun

I must admit I was somewhat surprised to see these comments surface, and although I haven't seen any of them myself, I'm sure Daxx's word is good enough for all.

It takes a big man to front up and say it happened as it did, like RJJ has done here. It does seem that as the years go on the accusations of Calzaghe ducking do seem to fall by the wayside, and although I'm sure it'll never be killed off completely, its nice to hear RJJ say that it was he who scuppered the bout which Calzaghe was chasing between around 2001-03.

Depending on RJJ's showing against tito, it could still happen, but RJJ needs a really big performance to show that he's back on the scene. If not, I liked his appearance as a commentator and pundit recently, and though he was very eloquent and insightful if he does turn his back on fighting himself.
    I was a bit suprised myself but it wasn't even second hand I heard it (I must admit I would have doubted it if someone told me they heard Roy say it)...But he said it on FNF....

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Jones flat out said

Finally. I'm proud of Roy for admitting to the facts.

Look...it's like this, inside the ring...I love Roy...outsisde of it...he acts like a total tool. I've always thought that...always have & always will. I'm dying to see Calzahge on the mat with the Nard...but the thoughts of him fighting Roy get more & more mouthwatering as the months go by.

I'm still struggling with the fact that Roy's still fighting period. The way that he's lost & how he's looked since really REALLY trouble me.

The prospects of Jones getting KTFO again are very unsettling to me...but the thoughts of him shining against Calzaghe & beating him...as far fetched as those may be...they make me want the fight to materialize...& I'd love to see Jones go to Wales.

That'd be crazy as fwock!

100% agree when it comes to Jones....I always respected his skill in the ring but outside he was flat out unappealing....maybe it was his arrogance?......but since Roy lost to Tarver and Johnson he seems to have left his pedestal.....I even like his announceing

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lewis

Roy is a F****** warrior... everyone knows i'm a huge calzaghe fan, but when roy said a few months ago he would come here and people said he wouldn;t. i said then roy would. Always said when it came to roy, he was to big, joe was to good but unknown... can understand that... but Roy would come to Wales given a decent split now... Guys like Roy dream o fight even now in front of 50k+ fans or not, when that bell goes you are all alone.

back when Roy was on top I can understand his position...He was not only the champion but the P4P best in the world and he did not need to come to anyone he had nothing to prove....and at the time Joe was really not much of a name except at home...also the WBO title at that time was not really a major title like it is now so even if he won he was not really gaining anything....I guess not to sound like a parrot but as Jones said "I had everything to lose"...was a no win situation really....I did criticize Roy for not fighting abroad though....you don't have to go to the guys hometown but just anywhere nuetral....

CC's to all for the input
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lets make something clear for a second...and this is no Jones bandwagon talk (just to get that out of the way)....Nigel Benn had about as much chance of beating Roy Jones at 168 as Jorge Arce has of becoming Heavyweight Champion in a unifacation bout with Wladamir Klitschko!!!.....No one,,,and I have said this before on this sit and will again...NO ONE!!! Out there at the time was beating Roy Jones at 168lbs....It is possible that P4P no fighter in History could have beaten the version of Roy Jones at Super Middleweight.....

ICB Guest

Roy Jones

Mike McCallum
    John Ruiz
    Clinton Woods
    Montel Griffin
    James Toney
    Bernard Hopkins
    Virgil Hill
    Vinny Pazienza
    Julio Cesar Gonzalez
    Eric Harding
    Merqui Sosa
    Thulani Malinga
    Thomas Tate
    Reggie Johnson
    Lou Del Valle

Mike McCallum = Hall Of Famer.

John Ruiz = Heavyweight World Champion.

Clinton Woods = 32-1 coming into Jones fight, had never been stopped coming into Jones fight. Jones is the only one ever to have stopped Woods, plus dominate him.

Montel Griffin = Beat James Toney, coming into Jones fight.

James Toney = Hall Of Famer top 3 P4P at that time.

Bernard Hopkins = Hall Of Famer.

Virgil Hill = Hall Of Famer

Vinny Pazienza = Better at the lighter weight classes, but still a good name to have on your record.

Julio Cesar Gonzalez = 27-0 at the time, and went on to give Dariusz Michalczewski his first ever loss, who was 48-0 at the time. Jones is the only boxer to ever dominate Gonzalez.

Eric Harding = Beat Antonio Tarver, Montel Griffin coming into Jones fight.

Merqui Sosa = Had never been stopped or knocked down coming into Jones fight. Went the distance with the likes of Nunn, Toney, Liles.

Thulani Malinga = Lost a controversial decision to Benn in there 1st fight. A lot of people thought Malinga should of got the decision. Malinga did rematch Benn and beat him, thats what stopped a possible Jones vs Benn fight. Malinga had gone the distance with likes of Eubank, Benn x2, Rocchigiani. Also out boxed Robin Reid when he was 40+. Coming into the Jones fight Malinga had never been stopped.

Thomas Tate = Went 12 rounds with one of the hardest hitting. Middleweights of all time Julian Jackson Shortly before Jones fight. Had never been stopped coming into Jones fight.

Reggie Johnson = The first man to drop James Toney, and lost a controversial decision to Toney. Also beat Steve Collins, all of Johnson's losses were close decisions. Jones is the only boxer who ever dominated Johnson.

Lou Del Valle = Was WBA Light Heavyweight champion at the time, only had one loss coming into Jones fight. And that was close decision loss to Virgil Hill.

Most of these boxers had been in there with World class opposition, and had good names on there record. Plus they were respected names.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's face facts here....however we decide to look at Roy Jones Jr, Tito and their upcoming fight....their PR machine and public appearances and statements are getting people talking about the fight, the fighters, and mainly Roy Jones Jr again. A lot of boxing fans are dismissed as cynical, but if this fight hadn't captured a little of the people's imagination, there wouldn't be half as many threads on here about RJJ and Tito as there are.

We weren't exactly inundated with RJJ threads after he beat Prince Badi Ajamu were we?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's face facts here....however we decide to look at Roy Jones Jr, Tito and their upcoming fight....their PR machine and public appearances and statements are getting people talking about the fight, the fighters, and mainly Roy Jones Jr again. A lot of boxing fans are dismissed as cynical, but if this fight hadn't captured a little of the people's imagination, there wouldn't be half as many threads on here about RJJ and Tito as there are.

We weren't exactly inundated with RJJ threads after he beat Prince Badi Ajamu were we?
    Yeah ...The Badi Ajamu fight was horrible lol,,,,he won but man did he look punch shy....I think the return of Trinidad and the curiosity of what if anything he has especially at 170 is really the strong point in the selling of this bout....

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah ...The Badi Ajamu fight was horrible lol,,,,he won but man did he look punch shy....I think the return of Trinidad and the curiosity of what if anything he has especially at 170 is really the strong point in the selling of this bout....
    I liked the Ajamu fight. Good opponent for him to look good against and get his confidence back up. He looked a lot better in that fight than in the freakin Johnson fight and 3rd Tarver fight. Plus it was exciting cus at the beginning Ajamu bum rushed Roy hella bad. Then gradually submitted in the fight. Came out in that first round like a mad man though.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah good to see RJJ being honest there about why he didnt then. I think we all know that if RJJ goes to fight Calzaghe especially in Wales he will get a veryy one sided beatdown. RJJ was one of my faves of all time in his day and a bout with both of them in there primes would be great to watch, but now hes a shadow of himself and the sooner he never has the fight the better IMO.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cockey cockney
    yeah good to see RJJ being honest there about why he didnt then. I think we all know that if RJJ goes to fight Calzaghe especially in Wales he will get a veryy one sided beatdown. RJJ was one of my faves of all time in his day and a bout with both of them in there primes would be great to watch, but now hes a shadow of himself and the sooner he never has the fight the better IMO.
    One sided beatdown huh? Like the one he gave to contender winner Sakio Bika? And before you throw out the whole Lacy beatdown, Lacy and RJJ, even at this age, are worlds apart in style, speed, expierence and talent.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Back to the topic of the Firday Night Fights show my favourite bit of honesty was from Teddy Atlas at the beginning when he said that ESPN had some great fights lined up for this new season but sadly tonight ain't one of those nights.

He then went on to say that ESPN could have done a better job in picking the fights and that was going to be a crap card.

Gotta love that kind of honesty, telling us it's going to be a shit night before it's even startd :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Back to the topic of the Firday Night Fights show my favourite bit of honesty was from Teddy Atlas at the beginning when he said that ESPN had some great fights lined up for this new season but sadly tonight ain't one of those nights.

He then went on to say that ESPN could have done a better job in picking the fights and that was going to be a crap card.

Gotta love that kind of honesty, telling us it's going to be a S*** night before it's even startd :P
    Teddy must have found out before the card he was not picked up for the next season?

Thread Information