User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Olympic Gold Medalist's Who Were Disappointing In there Pro Career

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Re: Olympic Gold Medalist's Who Were Disappointing In there Pro Career

Since were on the subject what's the name of that one amateur that kicked Amir Khans a** in the amateurs?
    I saw the fight a few weeks back for the 1st time. But can't remember his name?
    I know hes Cuban so I take it thats why he never turned pro.

Mario Kindelan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Michael Carruth is a great example..

Irelands finest..

McCullough was the silver and did fantastic..
    Carruth won Gold and remained unknown.. what a damn shame...

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcat
    Michael Carruth is a great example..

Irelands finest..

Carruth won Gold and remained unknown.. what a damn shame...
    CC#4 on me Bigcat... Welcome aboard the Saddo Express.
    You've just come across the best boxing site on the planet.

Protect yourself at all times and come out swinging.

Great call on Carruth, I mentioned him on the 1st page I only know about him due to the big story but even bigger fall that he had.
    From being Irelands 1st to not doing anything with it.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by a harmful of swallows
    Who's a gold medalist who went on to a successful pro career in the last decade?
    Not many really most of the Gold medal winners, in the last decade have only had a handful of fights or didn't even turn pro but Brahim Asloum comes to mind he won the WBA Light Flyweight title recently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The man who comes to mind for me is Wilbert "Skeeter" McClure. He was one of the most accomplished amateur boxers out of the US winning a gold medal in the 1960 Olympic team along with Muhammad Ali and Eddie Crook Jr. Skeeter had a decent pro career fighting Ruben Carter twice (one draw, one contraversial dec. loss) he was also twice on the losing end against Luis Manuel Rodriguez, but he was a great fighter in the amateurs.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just recently had the pleasure of meeting 'The Bronx Bomber' Alex Ramos who was and outstanding amateur of the 70's.

He was a 4 time New York Golden Gloves champion 4 yrs. in a row. With an amateur record of 143-9 and he was trained by the great George Benton.

Not a gold medalist but a very decorated amateur.

He lost against the big guys in the Middleweight Div. James Kinchen, Nunn, Mercado and Castro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very True Mick, Alex Ramos is also doing a lot for the sport right now. He actually set up the petition for boxers pensions. Good guy for boxing.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by a harmful of swallows
    Who's a gold medalist who went on to a successful pro career in the last decade?
    Not many really most of the Gold medal winners, in the last decade have only had a handful of fights or didn't even turn pro but Brahim Asloum comes to mind he won the WBA Light Flyweight title recently.
    The 2000 Gold Medal class may very well be the worst ever (or at least in recent times), when it comes to the subsequent pro careers. Asloum is the first world champ out of that bunch - winning the title in his 3rd attempt. It tells everything you need to know when Audley Harrison is probably the second most succesful pro among them!

Some of the other participants turned out okay though - Calderon, Viloria, Ponce de Leon, Narvaez, Sidorenko, Darchinyan, Katsidis, Cotto, Taylor, Bika, Sturm, Lacy, Diaconu, Erdei, Danny Green, Chagaev, Sultan and Samuel Peter among others.

The 2004 winners looks more promising with Barthelemy, Gamboa, Ward, Solis and Povetkin all undefeated and on course to make waves.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Since were on the subject what's the name of that one amateur that kicked Amir Khans a** in the amateurs?

Mario Kindelan
    Yup, But Kahn got his revenge anyway.

I read in Boxing News that Kahn also beat Victor Ortiz in the ams.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess Howard Davis JR , he was voted the outstanding boxer of 1976 won gold and remember Ray Charles Leonard was in those Olimpics so he was expected to be a great pro also.
    failed againest Jim Watt and got ICED in 1 by James McGirt.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono

Mario Kindelan

Yep thats in this weeks issue with Victor, I read that Ono, a top interview and it stated how he got treated like shit when he was younger. Good luck to Victor Ortiz, top guy.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee

Mario Kindelan

Yep thats in this weeks issue with Victor, I read that Ono, a top interview and it stated how he got treated like shit when he was younger. Good luck to Victor Ortiz, top guy.
    Yeh i'm going to look out for him. Interviews in Boxing News are top quality. There was a great Juan Diaz one about a month ago.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee

Mario Kindelan

Yep thats in this weeks issue with Victor, I read that Ono, a top interview and it stated how he got treated like S*** when he was younger. Good luck to Victor Ortiz, top guy.
    Yeh i'm going to look out for him. Interviews in Boxing News are top quality. There was a great Juan Diaz one about a month ago.
    Ye totally agree thats why I love that mag, I can't wait till every Friday until it comes out.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    Very True Mick, Alex Ramos is also doing a lot for the sport right now. He actually set up the petition for boxers pensions. Good guy for boxing.
    He was talking to me about that and how hes going all around the world trying to get more and more people involved with that. I gave the lady that was with him my e-mail address and asked to be e-mail with news and or updates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sugar Ray Seales won gold in 1972, I believe. Was pretty good until detached retina problems in both eyes ended his career.

Thread Information