Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that doesn't see Cotto beating Mayweather?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Am I the only one that doesn't see Cotto beating Mayweather?

Did Cotto look slow against Mosley?

Just cause he's slower than PBF doesn't mean he's slow. And obviously he's nowhere near as slow as Baldomir, nobody would be silly enough to think that.

So basically so far we've come to the conclusion that PBF's faster than Cotto. Shocking.

And Cotto is slower than PBF but much quicker than Baldomir. Another shocker.

Final question: Do you really honestly think Hatton was more of a test than Cotto?

SigmaMu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chino
    Baldomir and Cotto, both slow but Cotto being better .

Yep! Both are slow compared to Mayweather which makes them easy targets and also easy to get away from trouble.

If we want to see Mayweather loose we'll have a better chance on seeing that if he goes to MMA rather than facing any slow guy already mentioned.

Hhhhhmmmm Williams comes to mind at the moment. Not that of a big name yet and needs to be polished a little bit but at least he has the reach, speed, etc. After De La Hoya and Hatton, can't see any one out there really giving him some challenge .

Against Oscar, Floyd did not beat up Oscar it was a split decision.
    Both fighters came out of that so called fight with very little damage.

Hatton? One dimmensional and did not adjust to Floyd ducking below the waist line. Hatton just kept jumping in and Floyd kept ducking and it was the same thing over and over again and then Floyd after Hatton was totally frustrated, began to get spanked. Many feel that Joe helped in the frustration but all feel Floyd would have still won and I can agree with that because I nor anyone else saw Hatton pull out a plan b or c. Cotto on the other hand, has been groomed as of many moons ago to deal with Floyd. Cotto would be the best prepared fighter for Floyd's style and would give the fans a great fight worth every penny they spent for the event.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be Floyds toughest fight he could possibly take at this momment and I believe he would take him. Since seeing that fight against hatton I believe he has too much for any fighter. cotto is good but Floyd just has that supreme countering with good defence and I believe he would just outwork cotto and win a UD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't get me wrong, Cotto has shown to have what it takes to be a champion but I somehow can't see him winning against Floyd Mayweather Jr. I am surprised to see that on HBO polls and even here in the forum people are dying to see this fight.

I want Mayweather to loose badly really as much as I wanted to see Naseem Hamed but I can't see Cotto doing much really. Predictable, slow (compared to Floyd), etc. I can imagine seeing what happened to Baldomir for a 2nd time but this time with Cotto in the ring.

I don't understand all the hype .
    ...nah i'm sorta a fan of cotto but i give him no chance of beating floyd as well. Before it was hatton, then oscar, now it's cotto. There's no one that can beat him right now but they gotta keep the public's hope alive of someone beating him.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather would be the clear favorite going into a fight with Cotto. But Cotto is a legit full-size welterweight in his prime, and therefore he would force Floyd to bring his A game.

The only chance Ricky Hatton had was if Floyd showed up completely out-of-shape. Floyd didn't need a grade-A performance to beat Hatton, he would need an A-performance to beat Cotto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Am I the only one that doens't see Cotto beating Mayweather?

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd_Fears_Cotto
    All I can say is that Cotto is not as slow as you make him out to be.

All of his best opponents have said the same things about Cotto.

He is faster than I thought.
    He hits harder than I thought.
    He makes you fight his fight

I will agree that Tony is slower than Cotto but Tony throws and lands punches from odd angles. There was something about Tony's style that did not sit well with PBF and Floyd knows it.

If I had to fight Tony or Baldo? I would pick Baldo 100 times over. You can't blame Floyd for taking Fred Flinstone Baldomir over Tony The Tiger.
    On paper Baldo might have been better than Tony because Baldo had the WBC belt but do you honestly think Baldo is better than Tony? And right about now we will hear from Frozen Solid who will bring up Santos and I can just bring up Jose Luis Castillo. Here is your cue FrozenSolid. lol
    LOL Shit I even give Hatton a chance if he fights Baldo LOL
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Am I the only one that doens't see Cotto beating Mayweather?

If Cotto is the BEST fighter Mayweather can face in 2008 then there's not so much challenge out there I guess . Do I want Cotto to win? OF COURSE! I want ANYBODY to beat Mayweather in a convincing fashion but I can't see Cotto's style dominating Mayweather in the ring.

I can see Mayweather connecting from different angles and quickly moving away as he usually does since he's faster than Cotto. I just don't want Mayweather to have another easy victory with a big name and hear him talking all this crap .
    Chino, is Cotto better than Hatton, Gatti, or Baldomir? If you say yes then you can at least admit that Cotto will give Floyd a tougher time than those guys did.

ICB Guest

Cotto is slow WTF ?? i see him throw 10+ punch combination against Lovemore N'dou in a blink of an eye. Baldomir and Cotto are not even close speed wise.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto definately has a chance of beating Mayweather. The best chance of anybody out there at the minute (including paul williams imo)

I just honestly don't see Mayweather losing to anyone. I just feel Mayweather is masterfully clever and if Cotto gets ragged in any part of the fight, i think he is in trouble.

I go Mayweather UD 116-112 ish.

No offence to the Cotto fan's on here.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto is SLOW as BALDO?

[yt=425,350]MigmBs2GCuE[/yt]

Let's see Baldo

[yt=425,350]hECeVAIXYBs[/yt]

You where joking right Chino?
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am a Mayweather fan, we grew up a few miles from each other. I've met him, but I don't know him. Often overlooked is that underneath that tuff guy exterior Floyd has donated countless money and time to charitable causes in our home town. Yeah, Floyd and his family come off as assholes even to fellow Grand Rapidians, but thats just the front they have had to put up to survive. Don't forget Big Floyd did some hard time in prison for Cocaine trafficking. Plus Little floyd seems to be maturing at east a little bit as of late.

As for Cotto. I think this fight will happen and I look forward to it. Cotto is good, I have always liked him, but he is another relatively simple fight for Floyd. He has slow foot speed, plods in and gets hit. He has his chin tucked into his chest, limiting his head movement and also leaving him prime to catch uppercuts on the inside. Why Mosely didn't throw some uppercuts is beyond me, that fight was there for his taking and he gave away too many rounds. Cotto works the body good, and throws good punches. He has a decent chin which he'll need. This won't be an easy fight for Floyd, but it won't be among his most difficult. UD Floyd 116-112 or TKO in 10 or 11. The biggest obstacle is that Cotto may have to make another big fight before he is appealing enough to draw Floyd and this fight could be De la hoya. I think De la hoya is a bad fight for Cotto and Oscar has a 50-50 chance to beat him. I'd rather see Cotto and Margo fight and the winner get Floyd.

As a Mayweather fan I'd love to see the Cotto fight now and I don't think Cotto has better than a 3-1 chance to win that fight. He'll do better than Hatton and Baldimir but not better than Judah or ODLH. The toughest fights for Mayweather IMO are a rematch with ODLH, a fight with Margo in 08' or a fight with Williams in 09' or 10'. ODLH will learn from some of his mistakes and maybe get Floyd to trade more. Margo is so big and strong, he will give Floyd trouble and Williams if he develops more could pose perhaps the biggest threat a year or 2 down the road although he'd be beaten easily right now. Floyd will be a favorite in all of these fights, but ODLH and Margarito pose the stiffest competition for him IMO. These fights worry me much more than a Cotto fight.

People are acting like Cotto is some huge guy or something, he is almost 2 inches shorter than Floyd and gives up 5 inches in reach. Cotto is also a guy like Floyd who is a natural 140 lber. He is strong, but Floyd has faced stronger. Its a good challenge and a fight I'd love to see, but its not a fight that worries me as a Floyd fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GRBOXINGFAN
    I am a Mayweather fan, we grew up a few miles from each other. I've met him, but I don't know him. Often overlooked is that underneath that tuff guy exterior Floyd has donated countless money and time to charitable causes in our home town. Yeah, Floyd and his family come off as assholes even to fellow Grand Rapidians, but thats just the front they have had to put up to survive. Don't forget Big Floyd did some hard time in prison for Cocaine trafficking. Plus Little floyd seems to be maturing at east a little bit as of late.

As for Cotto. I think this fight will happen and I look forward to it. Cotto is good, I have always liked him, but he is another relatively simple fight for Floyd. He has slow foot speed, plods in and gets hit. He has his chin tucked into his chest, limiting his head movement and also leaving him prime to catch uppercuts on the inside. Why Mosely didn't throw some uppercuts is beyond me, that fight was there for his taking and he gave away too many rounds. Cotto works the body good, and throws good punches. He has a decent chin which he'll need. This won't be an easy fight for Floyd, but it won't be among his most difficult. UD Floyd 116-112 or TKO in 10 or 11. The biggest obstacle is that Cotto may have to make another big fight before he is appealing enough to draw Floyd and this fight could be De la hoya. I think De la hoya is a bad fight for Cotto and Oscar has a 50-50 chance to beat him. I'd rather see Cotto and Margo fight and the winner get Floyd.

As a Mayweather fan I'd love to see the Cotto fight now and I don't think Cotto has better than a 3-1 chance to win that fight. He'll do better than Hatton and Baldimir but not better than Judah or ODLH. The toughest fights for Mayweather IMO are a rematch with ODLH, a fight with Margo in 08' or a fight with Williams in 09' or 10'. ODLH will learn from some of his mistakes and maybe get Floyd to trade more. Margo is so big and strong, he will give Floyd trouble and Williams if he develops more could pose perhaps the biggest threat a year or 2 down the road although he'd be beaten easily right now. Floyd will be a favorite in all of these fights, but ODLH and Margarito pose the stiffest competition for him IMO. These fights worry me much more than a Cotto fight.

People are acting like Cotto is some huge guy or something, he is almost 2 inches shorter than Floyd and gives up 5 inches in reach. Cotto is also a guy like Floyd who is a natural 140 lber. He is strong, but Floyd has faced stronger. Its a good challenge and a fight I'd love to see, but its not a fight that worries me as a Floyd fan.

If Mosley fights Oscar again? who will you pick? Cotto win over Mosley has the same or greater value of Mayweather win over OSCAR
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Puya

If Mosley fights Oscar again? who will you pick? Cotto win over Mosley has the same or greater value of Mayweather win over OSCAR

You seem to be overlooking the fact that Mayweather jumped up in weight to fight Oscar. Do you think the Cotto vs. Mosley fight would have had the same result at 154?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by frozensolid_702
    Quote Originally Posted by Puya

You seem to be overlooking the fact that Mayweather jumped up in weight to fight Oscar. Do you think the Cotto vs. Mosley fight would have had the same result at 154?
    Floyd went in there with 149 Lb and If that fight would have been at 154 it would have been easier. Mosley was in Better shape at 147 (Fast) and Stamina than a 154 ( you could see him getting tired and with less combinations)
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Baldomir and Cotto, both slow but Cotto being better .

Yep! Both are slow compared to Mayweather which makes them easy targets and also easy to get away from trouble.

If we want to see Mayweather loose we'll have a better chance on seeing that if he goes to MMA rather than facing any slow guy already mentioned.

Hhhhhmmmm Williams comes to mind at the moment. Not that of a big name yet and needs to be polished a little bit but at least he has the reach, speed, etc. After De La Hoya and Hatton, can't see any one out there really giving him some challenge .

Cotto isn't really slow at all, he has excellent timing. He was consistently beating Sugar Shane to the punch in their recent fight and Shane is one of the quickest fighters in boxing.

To compare Cotto to Carlos Baldomir tells me you really don't know what you are talking about.

Probably best wait for Kimbo Slice's next fight, you'll enjoy that
    CC.

Thread Information