Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default a few questions

Hey I am new to the forums...I am also new to the boxing world it is something I am getting interested in.. my first question is what are some good start up workouts for me all I have is weights and a heavy bag right now.. I am 5'9 200 lbs... and second i am looking to get into a local boxing contest it is something like the toughman contest and there is alot of street fighters in it that just come in swinging crazy what is the best technique for something like that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: a few questions

Ok,on the wild swinging loons
    A)A good jab,not a pawing jab,really cracking that sucker off,use their momentum against them
    B)Step away from their ridiculous hooks and throw your own on the opposite side,he's allready winding up for it
    C)The body,nobody throws to it in these things
    D)Keep in mind you have short rounds

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very belated reply, but the board is dull at the moment so I'll offer my advice.

1) Movement. He can't hit what's noit in range. Practise is the only way to improve movement. This can also help in getting him fatigued.

2) Defence. When fighting a fellow who swings crazily, often the best defence to adopt is the hands up style as slipping and bobbing can get you caught. (Often a wild fighter can catch a guy good on the defence like that)

3) Straights. When the hands are up on the inside use straight punches. It's easy tire a wild guy and straight opunches will penetrate whatever guard he has.

4) Step in to him. Seeemingly contracdicting the movement theory, I find oftemn a wild punchers worst are is close to him. They will be accustomed to people moving to avoid their swings and therefore will not be affective close in. Sharp uppercuts close in do the job.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donny and Monkey nailed it... keep them moving and don't give them space to loop those shots in... get some stiff straigh shots in there and they can't get a lot of shots off.

It's about using range to your advantage. He can't hit you if you're out of range and he can't get anything going if you're too far in his range... neither can you, especially if he's stronger on the inside but it prevents him doing what he's best at...

Get your range and pop off some stiff straigh shots... he can't throw and you're scoring points. try not to wait for them either. When you're in range get those straights out!

Thread Information