Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hopkins Vs Calzaghe - Mandalay Bay 12th April

Or so it says on the Las Vegas Review Journal website.

Article:

Bernard Hopkins and Joe Calzaghe have said all along they wanted to fight each other, and it appears the two champions will get their wish.

MGM Mirage has set aside April 12 at Mandalay Bay Events Center for Hopkins-Calzaghe. All that remains is for the attorneys for both fighters to approve the contracts.

The fight would be for Hopkins' Ring Magazine light heavyweight title and would be televised on HBO Pay Per View.

Frank Warren, the veteran British promoter who represents world super middleweight champion Calzaghe, said a deal is imminent.

"Nothing can ever be definite until the contracts are signed," Warren told The Guardian newspaper in London. "But the paperwork is with the lawyers, and it looks as though it will be done.

"It is a huge fight for both men, and it would give Joe the big American date he has been looking for."

Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, which promotes Hopkins, said the deal is close but not quite finished.

"I'm comfortable we'll get it done in the next few days," Schaefer said Wednesday. "This is my first time working with Frank, so it's taken a little longer than when I negotiate with (Top Rank president) Bob Arum."

If the fight is made, it would be the third major bout in three months for Nevada.

Middleweights Kelly Pavlik and Jermain Taylor will meet Feb. 16 at the MGM Grand Garden. Super featherweights Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez are scheduled to fight in a March 15 rematch at Mandalay Bay.

Calzaghe (44-0) never has fought in Las Vegas. The 35-year-old native of Newbridge, Wales, has held the WBO title for 10 years, the longest reigning titleholder in any weight class in boxing history. His most recent fight was Nov. 3, a unanimous decision over Denmark's Mikkel Kessler.

The last time Hopkins, 42, fought in Las Vegas, it proved to be costly. He shoved Winky Wright at the weigh-in before their July 21 light heavyweight fight, which Hopkins won by unanimous decision. Two months later, the Nevada Athletic Commission fined Hopkins a record $200,000 for starting the fracas.

Woo Hoo!

I'm just waiting for it to be officially announced then I'm booking up. Got my flight and hotel deals all lined up and bookmarked.
    "He was convulsing on the floor like an infantile retard"

- Mike Tyson Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hopkins Vs Calzaghe - Mandalay Bay 12th April

He isn;t the longest reigning champ in history? louis almost held his belt for 12 years?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I ain't going as I feel this fight will be boring and nothing like the atmosphere of Hatton's over there but I still feel Calzaghe will win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i reckon if Paq man looses and Calzaghe wins its Calzaghe at no. 2 in the P4P rankings.
    dont Fuck with the chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad
    All that remains is for the attorneys for both fighters to approve the contracts..
    So then it is not a done deal.

Dan Rafael of ESPN.COM reported in his PfP rankings today that it's Frank Warren that has been holding up the negotiations, and that B-Hop has been very reasonable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins is a 8-5 Dog, I bet I can find a local book to give me 3-1. That might be tempting. Can't wait to see these 2 fight. Should be interesting.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee
    I ain't going as I feel this fight will be boring and nothing like the atmosphere of Hatton's over there but I still feel Calzaghe will win.
    would have gone if this was New York but like you I don't think it will be much of a spectacle and am not ready to return to Vegas so quickly

Wonder how many fans will make the journey across
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tell you what, I always had a disliking toward Calzaghe but ever since the Kessler fight he has one me over as a fan,and I look forward to the asss lashing he gives Hopkins in April

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by lance Uppercut
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad
    All that remains is for the attorneys for both fighters to approve the contracts..
    So then it is not a done deal.

Dan Rafael of ESPN.COM reported in his PfP rankings today that it's Frank Warren that has been holding up the negotiations, and that B-Hop has been very reasonable.
    P-shaw you say,Frank Warren overestimating his barganing position?
    No never
    Next thing you'll be saying is he childishly took out an add in all the British Papers that wouldnt goad a 5 year old in to a fight,let alone a guy from Germantown,who did 4+ in Graterford,who has a bigger production company then Frank.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope they get this done! Calzaghe is a great fighter & I picked him to defeat Kessler but I think Hopkins wins this one!!!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy.
    I hope they get this done! Calzaghe is a great fighter & I picked him to defeat Kessler but I think Hopkins wins this one!!!

hard to pick against Hopkins, but he lookin shit lately, lots of holding and uncouthness to try and make up for biomechanical deterioration . I think at this point I favor the Brit ? Interesting match as curiosity would have it .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy.

hard to pick against Hopkins, but he lookin S*** lately, lots of holding and uncouthness to try and make up for biomechanical deterioration . I think at this point I favor the Brit ? Interesting match as curiosity would have it .
    I been saying that almost verbatim for a year now

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock
    Tell you what, I always had a disliking toward Calzaghe but ever since the Kessler fight he has one me over as a fan,and I look forward to the asss lashing he gives Hopkins in April
    CC, I agree with everything you wrote. The Calzaghe - Kessler fight made me a big fan of both guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I garuntee Hopkins victory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Calzaghe can't beat a 43 year old Hopkins, his entire career is a joke. He has nothing to gain(except several Million) and everything to lose in this fight. If he wins, well... he beat a 43 year old! I f he loses, well... He lost to a 43 year old.

If Joe C loses, he will be lambasted by fans worldwide and rightfully so. I wish this fight could've happened a few years ago.

Thread Information