Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default need some help

I was wondering what kind of exercises i can do to make my punches stronger.. I have a heavy bag and speed bag ... I would like to make both left and right more powerful.. but i really need to make my left stronger its weak and i am right handed so i need to have more on my left jab... any advice would be awesome

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: need some help

Hi bkimble,
    There are many things you can do to improve your punching power. Here are some suggestions...

1) First and foremost, master the proper body mechanics of the punches you want to improve upon. Having impeccable form is the foundation upon which functional power is built on. With that, find a good coach and have him teach you the proper form, the proper body mechanics. To see what I'm talking about in the written word, check out "The straight right hand" thread on page two of this forum. You can also supplement this with boxing instructional videos. Go to the Title, Ringside, and Everlast websites to check out what they have available.

2) Once you have learned and ingrained the proper body mechanics, apply the law of specificity and start punching the heavy bag with power in mind. Start off by concentrating on single shots. Isolate each punch (i.e. left jab, straight right, left hook, right hook, left uppercut, right uppercut, and overhand right) and do lots of single shot repetitions with impeccable form and violent intent. There are many training schemes you can use, but suffice it to say for now, just put in the "flight time" and do your reps in a strict, disciplined, and an "each shot stands on its own" manner. In the beginning, I'd say do at least 20-30 reps of each punch in varying rep and set schemes.

When you are doing single punch power training, don't just mindlessly and quickly bang out the reps. Do each one as if it were your last, meaning execute each one with purpose and commitment. Again, especially in the beginning, I'd suggest doing at least 20-30 reps of each punch in varying rep and set schemes. If limited training time is a concern, focus on two punches per workout.

After spending an ample amount of time drilling single shots for power, expand your power training regime and start doing double shots (i.e. one-twos, two-punch combos). Some tried-and-true two-punch combos you can work on in this area are: the ol' one-two>left jab-straight right hand, left jab-overhand right, straight right hand-left jab, left hook-straight right hand, straight right hand-left hook, left hook-right hook, right hook-left hook, left hook-right uppercut, and right uppercut-left hook. These are but a few; you can generally put together any two punches together in a two-punch combo. Play around with the punches and find out what "fits" you. Oh, another thing, vary the rhythm used. There are two basic rhythms associated with two-punch combos; they are "1,2" (i,e. bang, bang) and "1-2" (i.e. bang and bang). In both cases, for power's sake, execute both punches with as much force as possible. In terms of rep schemes and such, I recommend the same as above, at least 20 focused reps of each two-punch combo you desire to work on.

Single-punch and double-punch power-focused training on the heavy bag are, in my opinion, the two best ways to isolate and specifically improve your punching power. Along these lines, if possible, use heavy bags of differing weights and densities to vary the contact and resistance feel. Now, if you want or can have only one heavy bag, I'd recommend a firm one that weighs in the vicinity of 80 to 100 lbs.

3) An excellent supplemental exercise you can use is "punch isometrics." Take any punch, let say in this instance, the left hook and place your left fist against a wall in left hook form impact-position and isometrically press the wall in this position for six seconds (exhaling as you do so). The mentality to have while doing this is imagining/visualizing that you are moving the wall. Do this exercise with each punch in your arsenal in at least three different positions (i.e. beginning, middle, end positions). As far as reps are concerned, the minimum is 3 reps in each of the three positions per punch. Be advised, if you have hypertension problems (i.e. high blood pressure) this exercise might be contraindicated for you (i.e. it might not be good for you).

There are various ways to manipulate punch isometrics. You can do them in varying time schemes, rhythms, and positions. Here's one of my favorite methods: one-second isometric bursts done staccato-style (i.e. in rapid succession) for five to 20 reps, doing two to 10 sets. Play around with the concept and I'm sure you'll come up with the different ways.

4) Another excellent supplemental exercise is to use a cable pulley weight stack to perform punch-specific maneuvers in sets/reps. For example, let's take the left hook again; adjust the cable pulley level at shoulder and/or head height, set the weight stack at a weight that gives good resistance but allows the maintenance of good form movement, grab the pulley handle in a vertical fist position, stand in left hook ready position, and throw a fast but controlled left hook with cable pulley in hand for reps (remember to exhale upon exertion). I recommend two to three sets of 8-12 reps for each punch.

Anyway, these are my recommendations. I hope they help you out. Take care...

Best Regards,
    Lito

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It feels wierd but in my own study/experiences I came across the ideas that you mentioned SP. I've been thinking about isometrics a couple of months ago. One realization that I had, is that it won't affect the movement of a punch per say, however it will make a difference in terms of force at the moment of impact.

Say for instance that if your objective is to kick a door off it's hinges, your training to improve your speed/explosivity using plyometrics or other means will help with initial part of the movement and with the movement itself, but at the moment when your foot makes contact with the door, that's when a strong isometric contraction can make a difference. It's what I've been thinking, although I don't know if this line of thinking is correct.

I also saw an example of this in the book "How to be an Ass-Whipping Boxer" by Jay C. Thomas. It's worth looking exploring.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Chris,
    You wrote:
    Say for instance that if your objective is to kick a door off it's hinges, your training to improve your speed/explosivity using plyometrics or other means will help with initial part of the movement and with the movement itself, but at the moment when your foot makes contact with the door, that's when a strong isometric contraction can make a difference. It's what I've been thinking, although I don't know if this line of thinking is correct.
    Chris, I think your line of thinking is right on the money. I synergistically apply plyometric and isometric exercises as punch-specific as I can for the above rationale among other things. You and I are on the same wavelength my friend. Great minds think alike...

In regards to the book you mentioned, I have it (and all his other books for that matter). They're okay if you already have a background in boxing. In my opinion, Thomas' books are not geared for a beginner at all.

While Jay Thomas briefly delineates this methodology in his books, I actually learned most of what I know about punch isometrics from my boxing coach Solomon Johnson and a friend of his, the late, great Ol' Mongoose Archie Moore. Back in 1981 or '82, Archie was in my hometown for a week or so promoting a charity organization (which I can't remember for the life of me) and he visited/hung out at my coach's gym a couple of times during his stay. Archie was kind enough to share various skills and insights, such as this subject, with all of us at the gym. When I look back, I can kick myself because I didn't fully appreciate who he was at the time and didn't take advantage of picking his brains as much as I should/could have. The man was an encyclopedia of knowledge and skill. Can you believe, I didn't even know the man held the record (and still does) for the most knockouts ever in the modern era (121 KOs). Man, I wish I would have picked his brains more. Anyway, even in his advanced age, the man was very articulate and could still bang. One thing that held me back (aside from ignorance) from conversing with him more than I should have is that I was a through-and-through Ali fanatic at the time and was a bit taken aback when Archie criticized Ali's style among other things. I actually had the nerve to razz Archie a bit about his KO loss to Ali. Thankfully, Archie was cool about it and didn't take a high school kid's ramblings seriously. Archie said that if he were in his prime, he would have beaten Ali. I, of course, didn't agree and said the prime Ali of 1966/67 would have beaten him and any other heavyweight in their prime from any era, past, present, or future. Anyway, I'm digressing big time. Sorry 'bout that, just reminiscing...

Anyway, take care and have a good week.

Best Regards,
    Lito

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

iN ALL HONESTY BKIMBLE, i FIND THERE IS NO EXCERCISE BETTER THAN SPARRING IN BOXING. tHIS EXCERCISE PROMOTES TECHNIQUE, THOUGHT SPEED AND IN MY OPINION POWER.
    tHERE SEEMS TO BE THE COMMONLY HELD BELIEF THAT ONE MUST PREPARE BEFORE TAKING PART IN ANY COMBAT, BUT i FEEL TAKING PART IN COMBAT HONING YOUR SKILLS AND CHALLENGING YOURSELF PHYSICALLY IS THE BEST WAY TO PREPARE FOR A FIGHT.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi hitmandonny,
    You wrote:
    iN ALL HONESTY BKIMBLE, i FIND THERE IS NO EXCERCISE BETTER THAN SPARRING IN BOXING. tHIS EXCERCISE PROMOTES TECHNIQUE, THOUGHT SPEED AND IN MY OPINION POWER.
    tHERE SEEMS TO BE THE COMMONLY HELD BELIEF THAT ONE MUST PREPARE BEFORE TAKING PART IN ANY COMBAT, BUT i FEEL TAKING PART IN COMBAT HONING YOUR SKILLS AND CHALLENGING YOURSELF PHYSICALLY IS THE BEST WAY TO PREPARE FOR A FIGHT.
    You're pulling everyone's leg right? No offense, but you can't be serious. Your comments about sparring are analogous to telling a baseball player, for example, to work on/hone his batting skills by just playing scrimmage games instead of spending quality time isolating, analyzing, and honing his batting skills through specific, isolated batting practice (which, by the way, all organized baseball players from Little League to the Professional ranks do). Take a look at any serious organized sport (e.g. baseball, football, basketball, hockey, tennis, soccer, racquetball, boxing, MMA, folkstyle/freestyle/Greco-Roman wrestling, track and field, swimming, gymnastics, motor racing, etc, etc) and thoroughly observe how the practitioners train and perfect their skills. EVERY sport and specialized skill set (e.g. firearm skills, military and law enforcement tactics, etc) all have and use isolation drills on the specific skills/attributes associated with the activity they want to improve. If we are being serious here, there is no sport around where you best learn/hone each specific skill involved by simply playing the game. That would be ludicrous because what are you basing your skill foundation on in the first place? I could go on and on with example after example to further reinforce my points but suffice it to say if you are serious about mastering any particular sport or skill, you must prepare (and prepare properly) if you want to become really proficient at it. So, bottom line, this means that to hone any one particular facet/attribute of a given sport/skill, you have to isolate the particular facet/attribute you want/need to improve upon. In terms of bkimble's specific question, improving punching power entails more than sparring to maximize his or anyone else's potential; "it" (i.e. punching power) needs to be isolated and drilled with this specific attribute in mind. Let me end this segment with a well-known adage referred to as the 7 P's: "Proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance."

Now, in regards to sparring, it is indeed the best all-around/overall way to prepare for actual combat; no ifs, ands, or buts about it. However, bkimble specifically asked how to improve punching power not how to improve his overall fighting skill/ability. As far as sparring (not fighting) is concerned, it shouldn't be a fight/contest to win, but rather an interactive, resistive, dynamic learning experience to mainly improve/hone TIMING/COUNTERING, SPATIAL RELATIONSHIP/DISTANCING/FOOTWORK, and FIGHT STRATEGY/TACTICS, not punching power. Your sparring partners should not be used as punching bags for you to tee off on and improve your punching power. This goes the other way around too; you don't want sparring partners who are looking to tear your head off either and ruin you for the actual fight you are preparing for. From either perspective, that would be flat-out counterproductive.

Sparring should be all about putting your whole game together (completely or in "pieces") in an interactive, resistive, dynamic learning environment without killing yourself and/or your sparring partners in the process. There should be NO EGO involved in sparring. Save the banging for the fight itself...

Since I'm on the subject, one last point about sparring, it isn't just about improving/honing your entire, full-spectrum game; specific attributes can be isolated too WITH focused objectives. I'm kind of reiterating what I wrote above but it's worth mentioning again in this particular vein; I believe THE BEST WAY to isolate and hone/improve the attributes of TIMING/COUNTERING and SPATIAL RELATIONSHIP/DISTANCING/FOOTWORK along with the associated FIGHT STRATEGY/TACTICS is through FOCUSED sparring.

Anyway, take care all...

Best Regards,
    Lito

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're pulling everyone's leg right? No offense, but you can't be serious. Your comments about sparring are analogous to telling a baseball player, for example, to work on/hone his batting skills by just playing scrimmage games instead of spending quality time isolating, analyzing, and honing his batting skills through specific, isolated batting practice (which, by the way, all organized baseball players from Little League to the Professional ranks do). Take a look at any serious organized sport (e.g. baseball, football, basketball, hockey, tennis, soccer, racquetball, boxing, MMA, folkstyle/freestyle/Greco-Roman wrestling, track and field, swimming, gymnastics, motor racing, etc, etc) and thoroughly observe how the practitioners train and perfect their skills. EVERY sport and specialized skill set (e.g. firearm skills, military and law enforcement tactics, etc) all have and use isolation drills on the specific skills/attributes associated with the activity they want to improve. If we are being serious here, there is no sport around where you best learn/hone each specific skill involved by simply playing the game. That would be ludicrous because what are you basing your skill foundation on in the first place? I could go on and on with example after example to further reinforce my points but suffice it to say if you are serious about mastering any particular sport or skill, you must prepare (and prepare properly) if you want to become really proficient at it. So, bottom line, this means that to hone any one particular facet/attribute of a given sport/skill, you have to isolate the particular facet/attribute you want/need to improve upon. In terms of bkimble's specific question, improving punching power entails more than sparring to maximize his or anyone else's potential; "it" (i.e. punching power) needs to be isolated and drilled with this specific attribute in mind. Let me end this segment with a well-known adage referred to as the 7 P's: "Proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance."
    I think that you will agree that boxing is different from almost any other sport. The reason I have pushed the sparring issue is because one can practise punching all day but it doesn't mean that they will land in a combat situation. One needs to simulate actual fight conditions. Once in sparring then you apply the concentrated training idea. If you want speed concentrate on speeed, If you want to be defensive concentrate on defense and if you want power concentrate on power. Your idea on the bag, isolating shots and concentrating on precision and power...Is this not more beneficial when done in actual combat situations? I find it a great idea to spar, cut down the number of shots and throw with intent. This will increase my knowledge of my own power and also increase the accuracy of such shots. When done over a period of time I feel the fighter becomes battle hardened and power increases. As Eddie Futch once said "Boxing is good training for Boxing."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Call me a uniter not a divider
    What are you doing in the batting cage,learning to hit by,hitting
    What are you doing when your taking ground balls,learning to field by, fielding
    What are you doing by slow sparring,learning to box by,boxing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi hitmandonny,
    You wrote:
    I think that you will agree that boxing is different from almost any other sport.
    No, I don't agree. The training paradigm in the general scheme of things is the same in all sports. I could expound on this at length but it basically boils down to the "law of specificity," which is applicable in the macro and micro sphere of all things training.

In reading your rebuttal to my third post, you're restating the same things you previously said. You've missed and/or misunderstood my points. I could re-explain them in other ways using other analogies from mixed martial arts, wrestling, and more pertinently, boxing but I believe I expressed my viewpoints pretty clearly.

Hey, we could continue to go round and round, tit for tat but for what constructive purpose at this point? Let's just leave it as a matter of "different strokes for different folks." We've both responded to bkimble's request for help, so it's all good. It's up to him now if he deems our advice/recommendations worthwhile to explore and implement.

Anyway, take care and have a good week...

Best Regards,
    Lito

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interestingly any pully system will slow the Biomechanics and movement down to consistant, weve been experimenting with them at the uni the tests were revealing. Theres other ways.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information