Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cotto vs Alfonso Gomez might happen - I hope not

I read in Endi.com under the title deportes and boxeo that Bob Arum is very confident that De la Hoya is going to fight Mayweather for the 2nd time and that De la hoya only mentioned fighting Cotto to get Mayweather to do a part 2. I personally hopes no one pays to see these two fight again. I know some enjoyed it but it was a painful display of two skilled but SCARED boxers.

It turns Gomez is trying to land a fight against Cotto. It might happen as Arum is looking for a tune up fight before matching Cotto with Margarito sometime mid year - if Cotto and Margarito get past their next opponents.

Margarito is supposed to fight Judah.

I personally respect Gomez's skill and determination as a boxer and fighter and admire his courage. I don't think he's a match for Cotto although upsets are always possible.

I'm just surprise that Arum isn't trying to pick a worthier opponent that could potientally earn him extra dollars and respect for Cotto. I like Gomez, he has decent skills, I just don't think he's earned this fight yet. I thought Clottey was a good choice, but i believe he's unavailable. Paul Williams is a great choice, but he's hardly a tune-up.

Who do you all think would be the best tune-up fight before fighting Margarito?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto vs Alfonso Gomez might happen - I hope not

Altho i wouldn't be excited about this fight....(i don't care much for reality tv stars getting world title shots just because they are famous) i think Cotto deserves a gimme. He's faced a lot of tough opponents....last year he had Urkal, Judah and Mosley so i think he deserves an easier fight.

So long as he follows it up with a top contender i won't be fussed
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by belak
    I read in Endi.com under the title deportes and boxeo that Bob Arum is very confident that De la Hoya is going to fight Mayweather for the 2nd time and that De la hoya only mentioned fighting Cotto to get Mayweather to do a part 2. I personally hopes no one pays to see these two fight again. I know some enjoyed it but it was a painful display of two skilled but SCARED boxers.

It turns Gomez is trying to land a fight against Cotto. It might happen as Arum is looking for a tune up fight before matching Cotto with Margarito sometime mid year - if Cotto and Margarito get past their next opponents.

I personally respect Gomez's skill and determination as a boxer and fighter and admire his courage. I don't think he's a match for Cotto although upsets are always possible.

I'm just surprise that Arum isn't trying to pick a worthier opponent that could potientally earn him extra dollars and respect for Cotto. I like Gomez, he has decent skills, I just don't think he's earned this fight yet. I thought Clottey was a good choice, but i believe he's unavailable. Paul Williams is a great choice, but he's hardly a tune-up.

Gomez is fine for a tune up. He's well known for being on the Contender and for beating up old Gatti in hopefully his last fight. He's also no pushover who has experiance with bigger stronger guys. So basically he is a solid contender that offers good marketability reward and little risk, while at the same time enough risk to make it a good fight.

All in all, not a bad choice if you are thinking about the long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto is coming off two very tough and physical fights against Judah and Mosley, and he figures to have a tough fight this year against either Margarito or Mayweather.

I have no problem whatsoever with him fighting a relatively easier opponent like Alfonso Gomez. In fact, I think it will be a very entertaining fight while it lasts.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Who do you all think would be the best tune-up fight before fighting Margarito?"
    Cintron seems like the perfect fit right now. The battle for Puerto Rico pt 2 like that Quintana fight was. Would be a worth tune-up and the style match-up makes for a good fight. This fight would sell too, alot of people want to see Cintron lose and Cotto win. This could be a good one if Cintron doesnt puss out halfway through....

SigmaMu Guest

I read on boxingtalk that Jeff Wald was fuming because of something that was being said about Alfonso Gomez

http://boxingtalk.com/pag/article14653.html

I would much rather watch Cotto/Cintron but I think Cotto can get Alfonso out of the way pretty quick as long as he does not underestimate him.

If Cotto can make 5 fights this year minimum, I would be content.

Let's say vs:
    Gomez
    Cintron
    Margarito
    Williams
    Oscar De La Hoya?

No need to mention PBF as she is semi retired and she does not fight real Welter Weights anyways.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think 5 fights in unrealist Danny.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chances are Cotto doesn't fight more than twice this year. 3 tops.

SigmaMu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer
    Why? Cotto is not Oscar De La Hoya.
    Cotto is still in his prime.
    I think Cotto would mop Gomez with the quickness.
    I also think Cotto could mop Cintron with the quickness too.
    Williams and Margarito would be a little tougher for various reasons and styles.
    Cotto beats down on ODLH and sends him packing in 7.

This may be somewhat unrealistic today thanks to the fighters who only want to fight for money rather than fight the best to prove who is the best and cement a solid foundation to their legacy. If we built a house on Floyd's foundation today, the house would fall. lol

In closing, Cotto has said he wants to fight at least 4 times per year, so I am not that far off the mark because Gomez is no threat and ODLH isn't either and I have added them into the equation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest
    "Who do you all think would be the best tune-up fight before fighting Margarito?"
    Cintron seems like the perfect fit right now. The battle for Puerto Rico pt 2 like that Quintana fight was. Would be a worth tune-up and the style match-up makes for a good fight. This fight would sell too, alot of people want to see Cintron lose and Cotto win. This could be a good one if Cintron doesnt puss out halfway through....
    Don't underestimate Cintron. I think he is far from a tune up. His power might put Cotto down and keep him there. Not saying he'll beat Cotto but he sure could and that would mess up any big plans Cotto might have for the future.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see the big problem with Cotto fighting Gomez. Gomez is no bum and Cotto's last 4 fights have been v ranked by RING mag top 10 WW's. I dont think any other fighter at WW has done that.POh and he might be fighting Margarito straight after.So I think it's more than fine imo.

ICB Guest

Jeez what is wrong with some fans today ?? they expect a super fight every month. Cotto has been in some tough wars and has faced 4 top 10 Welterweights in a row. Cotto needs at least one easy fight otherwise his career won't be long keep fighting tough opposition in every fight, i think your find that every fighter faces an easy opponent after facing a few tough opposition in a row. And Gomez isn't even that bad either, he has improved a lot since coming out of the Contender he uses some good combos and he has a pretty solid jab. I think Gomez will even last longer against Cotto than most people expect. People need to give Cotto a break i mean just look how far he has come in the last few years. People about 2 years ago were calling him Chinny, Robotic, etc. Even though i don't know why because he has always shown a good variety of skills throughout his career. But anyway now look where he is ?? people are actually calling him a good boxer, people are calling him 2nd best Welterweight, people are saying he is the only fighter that deserves a crack at the P4P number 1 aka Mayweather, He is now top 5 P4P fighter, I have no problem with this fight what so ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by belak

Do you see guys? That is the problem , if this fight of Floyd vs DeLaoya comes they going put it down all the CREDIBILITY of boxing they dont even think about boxing sport is, they just think in money...... i dont want anybody missundertand me , i know that this is a job but everybody knows that last fight was CRAB .... We have to see first for what going happen with Margarito vs judha , Williams vs Quintana and then Cotto can accept with whos deserve a fight with him..... I think Delaoya and Mayweather planning another Big Fight before they get a big crash of KO by Cotto that what i guess...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gomez would give Cotto all he can handle. Imo it is a far too dangerous fight for Cotto if he wants a big money fight after. If Gomez upset him he would have a hard time rebuilding. If he looks average against Gomez like I suspect he would, other fighters are going to use that as an excuse not to fight him.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd_Fears_Cotto
    Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer
    Why? Cotto is not Oscar De La Hoya.
    Cotto is still in his prime.
    I think Cotto would mop Gomez with the quickness.
    I also think Cotto could mop Cintron with the quickness too.
    Williams and Margarito would be a little tougher for various reasons and styles.
    Cotto beats down on ODLH and sends him packing in 7.

This may be somewhat unrealistic today thanks to the fighters who only want to fight for money rather than fight the best to prove who is the best and cement a solid foundation to their legacy. If we built a house on Floyd's foundation today, the house would fall. lol

In closing, Cotto has said he wants to fight at least 4 times per year, so I am not that far off the mark because Gomez is no threat and ODLH isn't either and I have added them into the equation.
    Danny it has nothing to do with the ease of Cotto getting through fights. I think Cotto will walk through almost all of his opponents. It is just how long it seems to take fights to be made. The talks, the negotiations, the distant fight date, injuries, etc. Even if he KO'd all his opponents in the first, I don't think he could get to 5 fights.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Thread Information