Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Alexander Povetkin Seems Like A Good Prospect.

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Alexander Povetkin Seems Like A Good Prospect.

I see his last two fights against Byrd, Donald, and he looked pretty good, he is now facing Chambers in the final of the IBF elimination tournament. I think Povetkin will beat Chambers but what worries me is that he seems to be getting slightly rushed i mean lets assume he beats Chambers that means he has only had 15 pro fights and stepping in with someone like Wlad that early could be disaster whats your thoughts ??

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Alexander Povetkin Seems Like A Good Prospect.

I got this fight as a pick-em type of fight. Povetkin brings the power and is decent in all other aspects. Chambers brings the speed and technique, but lacks one shot power at heavy. I really think if Chambers doesnt catch a big bomb he could cruise to another points win. He's really solid defensively and the only problem I saw with him against Brock, was his stamina late in the fight. Povetkin might be in the same boat because he has never been the full 12. He has gone 11 once against Chris Byrd so that is a little confidence for him, but Chambers is like Chris Byrd when he was younger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think you are right about the slightly rushed thing...But I was less worried with opponents than
    with his conditioning,but he looked good...the Byrd fight was very high paced for a heavyweight
    fight and still Povetkin didn't look much out of breath...
    About Wlad being his opponent so early in Povetkins career...I don't think it would matter if he had
    9 or 10 fights more...not against Wlad...I don't see him getting past Wlads jab...
    But we will see...

Hidden Content

Arturo "THUNDER" Gatti 1972-2009

To alcohol...the cause of and the solution to all of lifes problems...- Homer Simpson

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    I see his last two fights against Byrd, Donald, and he looked pretty good, he is now facing Chambers in the final of the IBF elimination tournament. I think Povetkin will beat Chambers but what worries me is that he seems to be getting slightly rushed i mean lets assume he beats Chambers that means he has only had 15 pro fights and stepping in with someone like Wlad that early could be disaster whats your thoughts ??
    I think regardless of who he fights from now on, he will struggle against Wlad anyway. I don't think there is anybody out there who he will learn a great deal from fighting. I think he's done the majority of his improving.

Do you know how extensive his amatuer career was ice?
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    I think regardless of who he fights from now on, he will struggle against Wlad anyway. I don't think there is anybody out there who he will learn a great deal from fighting. I think he's done the majority of his improving.
    Yeah I think Wvlads height and reach would present big problems for him at his stage . Povetkin certainly looks the best prospect out there . Fast hands , good variation and seems to have a touch of class about him . Whens the last time we said about a heavyweight

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am really excited about this bout with Chambers. Both are more then proven prospects, definitely don't think Povetkin can afford to look past Chambers.

I think this is going to be a GREAT fight with Povetkin being the one who will bring the pressure and I think that Chambers is more then capable of handling it. Both have looked very good and I would love to see the winner in there with someone like Sultan or Chagaev or whoever the weak links of the alphabet soup titles are right now.

Either way, really excited for this one.

Compare this to the last undefeated versus undefeated in the heavyweight division we had. A fight that got a considerable amount of hype but really meant nothing.

Timor Ibragmiov versus Calvin Brock.

I think back on that fight then look at this one and I think both fighters are going to have a very good future past this fight and it's a bit of a good sign that we have a fight of this caliber going on.

I'm personally excited for it, shows that we have a healthy division or at least signs of a healthy division. The heavyweight division is on it's way and this fight is a big indicator of that. I think both will be titlist one day. Chambers' day might come in the cruiserweights but but he has that poise that you don't see often. He just doesn't get flustered. Very good fighter and I would trust that he isn't being overlooked by the Povetkin camp.

Povetkin is just the total package though. Does work with both hands and he just never stops. Not sure that he is ready for Wlad but right now, who is?

Thread Information