Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bernard Hopkins…anyone wonder if…

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bernard Hopkins…anyone wonder if…

Bernard Hopkins…anyone wonder if he’ll ever want to avenge his losses to Jermain Taylor?

If not...maybe make a run at Kelly Pavlik for redemption?

Just to settle the score for the record book's sake?

This may well be jumping the gun seeing as he’s about to take on the second greatest test of his career in fellow veteran champion Joe Calzaghe…but the thought just crossed my mind as I was mulling over me favorite of all times record.

Out of Hopkins four losses he’s put forth the effort to avenge every one to date other than Mitchell (who‘s lord knows where), Jones (who priced himself out), & Taylor.

Well actually…he hasn’t avenged any of his losses has he?!?!?!

So…for discussion‘s sake let‘s dig in & discuss.

Personally…I believe that Hopkins Taylor III would be an easy one to set up for Hopkins to win & redeem himself. I might be wrong…but I think after Pavlik rips Taylor a new one inside & out in their rematch…Taylor will be grasping at straws to find an opponent. Why not Hopkins...the man he "bested" twice?

I'll tell ya why not...Hopkins would smoke him…if he saw the need.

No one wants a third fight with Taylor?

How about a rematch with the winner of Jones Trinidad? That would be nice…& probably easy to make also because Hopkins holds the cards now & there’s still a bit of hate there between the three of them. I say that's another easy fight to set up if it don't come down to a war of ego's or Don King holding out.

What about the outcome of Calzahge vs Hopkins then?

Would a loss to Joe Calzaghe ruin Hopkins career?

What would a win do for Bernard against Calzaghe? Many here seem to loathe Calzaghe & refuse to respect him…so does a Hopkins win mean anything?

Sure it does…but I can imagine will argue over it…pointlessly.

Anywho…I just kinda wanted to discuss the remainder of the career of the HOF bound Bernard Hopkins.

Anyone?
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bernard Hopkins…anyone wonder if…

A victory over Calzaghe would be the biggest win of B-Hop's career IMO. After the Kessler fight most of the Calzaghe haters (including me at one point) seem to have disappeared.
    I would not be excited about Taylor - Hopkins III though. If B-Hop can beat Calzaghe, which I doubt, I wouldn't mind seeing a Pavlik Hopkins match-up, but I can't see Pavlik moving up in weight again, and I don't think B-Hop is going to come down from 175. A rematch with RJJ might perk my interest, but I'd expect a Hopkins victory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH
    A victory over Calzaghe would be the biggest win of B-Hop's career IMO. After the Kessler fight most of the Calzaghe haters (including me at one point) seem to have disappeared.
    I would not be excited about Taylor - Hopkins III though. If B-Hop can beat Calzaghe, which I doubt, I wouldn't mind seeing a Pavlik Hopkins match-up, but I can't see Pavlik moving up in weight again, and I don't think B-Hop is going to come down from 175. A rematch with RJJ might perk my interest, but I'd expect a Hopkins victory.
    CFH.

All good points.

I also see Calzaghe being Hopkins tuffest fight to date.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

without offending anyone i must admit i was quite bored of the two JT fights. at first i thought it was b-hops fault then later on i realized jt is pretty damn boring as well LOL.

id kinda dread the chance that there would be a rubber match between the two?

personally id rather see b-hop go up to heavyweight as he so loudly boasted about doing about a year ago. it would be crazy to see his body frame all bulked up huh? i wonder how them philly street tactics would hope up against a HW lol

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Bernard Hopkins…anyone wonder if he’ll ever want to avenge his losses to Jermain Taylor?

If not...maybe make a run at Kelly Pavlik for redemption?

Just to settle the score for the record book's sake?

This may well be jumping the gun seeing as he’s about to take on the second greatest test of his career in fellow veteran champion Joe Calzaghe…but the thought just crossed my mind as I was mulling over me favorite of all times record.

Out of Hopkins four losses he’s put forth the effort to avenge every one to date other than Mitchell (who‘s lord knows where), Jones (who priced himself out), & Taylor.

Well actually…he hasn’t avenged any of his losses has he?!?!?!

So…for discussion‘s sake let‘s dig in & discuss.

Personally…I believe that Hopkins Taylor III would be an easy one to set up for Hopkins to win & redeem himself. I might be wrong…but I think after Pavlik rips Taylor a new one inside & out in their rematch…Taylor will be grasping at straws to find an opponent. Why not Hopkins...the man he "bested" twice?

I'll tell ya why not...Hopkins would smoke him…if he saw the need.

No one wants a third fight with Taylor?

How about a rematch with the winner of Jones Trinidad? That would be nice…& probably easy to make also because Hopkins holds the cards now & there’s still a bit of hate there between the three of them. I say that's another easy fight to set up if it don't come down to a war of ego's or Don King holding out.

What about the outcome of Calzahge vs Hopkins then?

Would a loss to Joe Calzaghe ruin Hopkins career?

What would a win do for Bernard against Calzaghe? Many here seem to loathe Calzaghe & refuse to respect him…so does a Hopkins win mean anything?

Sure it does…but I can imagine will argue over it…pointlessly.

Anywho…I just kinda wanted to discuss the remainder of the career of the HOF bound Bernard Hopkins.

Anyone?
    Taylor vs Hopkins 3 would be pointless and it would get hardly any interest because of how boring the first two were. And why would Hopkins even want to chase a 3rd fight ?? what would that prove ?? even if he won a close decision he still lost 2-1 and it would hardly do anything for his career. Plus i don't even think Taylor will beat Pavlik so Hopkins would be chasing a fight against a guy who is coming off 2 losses ?? and lets just say Hopkins lost again to Taylor that would be terrible for his career going 0-3 vs Taylor. Taylor has his number they were both close boring fights the 3rd fight will be more of the same, i just don't see how it will really help Hopkins career even if he won close decision, and as for Taylor i don't think it would do much for his career either beating an old man he already beat twice, and there fights will always be close based on there styles. So even if Taylor wins close decision what good will that do his career beating the same guy 3 times ??

Roy Jones vs Bernard Hopkins 2 even though there both old this one does slightly interest me. But i would of rather have seen this happen back in 2001, because Jones is shot now and is nowhere near the name he was once. But if Jones defeats Tito in impressive fashion, and if Hopkins can be very competitive with Calzaghe or win then yes why not i wouldn't mind seeing it. But Jones might want Calzaghe for himself.

If Hopkins lost to Calzaghe in a competitive fight which i think he will then i don't see it doing much damage to Hopkins career. Because he still has his legendary resume at Middleweight. And its a miracle he can still even fight at this level when he is 43. And he can always use excuse that he was an old man and he still gave Calzaghe all he could handle.

If Hopkins won that would do wonders for Hopkins career and he would move up about 5 places or even more in the All Time P4P rankings. A loss would badly hurt Calzaghe's career because he needs a big win in the USA to really get his name known, and if he lost people would be calling him overrated, paper champ, reigned in weak division, etc. Calzaghe badly needs this win thats why i hope he does win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not unless Taylor comes up in weight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Right now I think Hopkins just needs to concentrate on Calzaghe...IMO this is not going to be easy for him...Setting all personal opinions aside for the moment..( I was a huge Hopkins fan until the White Boy comments...Something I am going to debate no longer)...I have also been a huge detractor of Calzaghe as everyone here knows...( though Joe earned my respect after beating Kessler and now I must admit I am a bit of a fan..I should have given him his due long ago)..

With that being said!!

This fight is no gimme...Hopkins is not going to put on a clinic if he wins....He will have to earn it and TBH with the pace Calzaghe can set it may take a lot out of Hopkins..not the getting hit with Joe's shots because power is not Joes strong point but the fact Hopkins will have to work hard and there will be no down time like in his other fights...even his counter punching will have to be non stop!!!..can he do it?...Hopkins is not known for a grueling pace....If he wins then the future will be a great question...

IMO Taylor just has Hopkins number...He is not better then Bernard in any way...just seems to have his number and really there would not be much retrobution in beating him now...the "Jermain was ruined by Pavlik" stigam will linger over the win if it did happen...

Another fight with Trinidad assuming Tito beats Roy (a big if) would do nothing either..it would bebefit Trinidad not Hopkins...It would be a "so what he already beat him when he was in his prime" situation...

Another fight with Jones carries the same stigma...If Hopkins beat him it would be " That is not the same version of Jones in the first fight, Jones was past his best, Roy lost to a man Hopkins beat (Tarver) by KO," so a win over Jones would mean nothing right now even if Jones blows out Tito....a loss would hurt Hopkins...The fight would be nothing more then personal satisfaction....

Pavlik would be the only fight that would not hurt him...A win over the young hard hitting champion would boost him further into the "Man Hopkins can do anything even in his 40's" status he seems to be gaining every fight...a Loss would not be so bad because he is in his 40's and Kelly is so highly thought of

Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think his Taylor losses hurt his legacy slightly,at least.. No-one else seems to see it that way but you ask someone how good was JT and the answer you're most likely to get,is that he was good at one time,then went downhill.Spinks,Winky moving up and eventually Pavlik all gave Taylor tougher fights than B Hop did. He had 2 close fights,the first one he may MAY have won(it was close and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt in nearly all the rounds) and the second,few deny he lost.

I find it strange that people diss JT alot(hey,I do at times too) but he beat B Hop twice and no-one mentions that.It's weird,imo.I also agree,I don't think anyone wants to see a third fight,the main reason being,Hopkins had his chance in the second fight.He was talking about how he would KTFO JT,he was coming out agressive and he is even more gun shy than the first fight. No need for a third,would be more of the same imo.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    I think his Taylor losses hurt his legacy slightly,at least.. No-one else seems to see it that way but you ask someone how good was JT and the answer you're most likely to get,is that he was good at one time,then went downhill.Spinks,Winky moving up and eventually Pavlik all gave Taylor tougher fights than B Hop did. He had 2 close fights,the first one he may MAY have won(it was close and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt in nearly all the rounds) and the second,few deny he lost.

I find it strange that people diss JT alot(hey,I do at times too) but he beat B Hop twice and no-one mentions that.It's weird,imo.I also agree,I don't think anyone wants to see a third fight,the main reason being,Hopkins had his chance in the second fight.He was talking about how he would KTFO JT,he was coming out agressive and he is even more gun shy than the first fight. No need for a third,would be more of the same imo.
    I don't think Spinks gave Taylor a tougher fight than Hopkins did, and i disagree about the 2nd fight as well. Hopkins was slightly more aggressive in the rematch and he made the early rounds much closer than he did in the 1st fight by being more slightly aggressive in the early going, in fact i think Hopkins lost the 1st fight because i only had him winning 1 round through the first 9 rounds then obviously i had Hopkins winning the last 4 making it 7-5 to Taylor. But i had Hopkins edging the rematch i don't understand why the 1st fight was so controversial and the rematch wasn't. Because i think the rematch was just as controversial as the 1st fight was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing

I don't think Spinks gave Taylor a tougher fight than Hopkins did, and i disagree about the 2nd fight as well. Hopkins was slightly more aggressive in the rematch and he made the early rounds much closer than he did in the 1st fight by being more slightly aggressive in the early going, in fact i think Hopkins lost the 1st fight because i only had him winning 1 round through the first 9 rounds then obviously i had Hopkins winning the last 4 making it 7-5 to Taylor. But i had Hopkins edging the rematch i don't understand why the 1st fight was so controversial and the rematch wasn't. Because i think the rematch was just as controversial as the 1st fight was.
    It's simple. The majority of people that saw the fight thought B Hop did better in the first than he did in the second.That's why there is more fuss about the first fight,because the majority(a large majority) thought B Hop won the first fight or lost narrowly and lost the second fight comfortably.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing

It's simple. The majority of people that saw the fight thought B Hop did better in the first than he did in the second.That's why there is more fuss about the first fight,because the majority(a large majority) thought B Hop won the first fight or lost narrowly and lost the second fight comfortably.
    Yes i know that El Gamo but my question to those people is why ?? because Taylor pretty much was cruising against Hopkins in the first 9 rounds. And the only rounds Hopkins for 100 percent won were the last 4 rounds. In the 2nd fight i think Hopkins made those early rounds a lot closer by being slightly more active, Never quite understood why so many people consider the 1st fight so controversial and the 2nd one isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I said this after the Taylor-Pavlik fight, but I think Pavlik is tailor made for Hopkins to humiliate, a guy who is easy to hit, seems easy enough to counter, Pavlik hit Taylor with easy, but so has anyone who has gotten Taylor to back up. I think Palvik's slow feet would have a very hard timing trying to pressure Hopkins, and that trying to speed up to catch Hopkins would leave him open for that sneaky right hand of B-Hop.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For either to happen, I think Taylor or Pavlik would have to move up to LHW. Not that Hopkins couldn't make 168, but I believe he is fighting Calzaghe at LHW, so why the hell would he try and drop any weight after that. I just don't see Hopkins being that kind of fighter, he's such a fitness guru, and he put on the weight to move up to LHW almost perfectly imo. Added fast twich muscle to his frame at such an old age, to drop any extra weight at this stage would just be stupid imo, especially since he may as well retire. I don't see Pavlik or Taylor ever moving up that far right away, so imo that's basically the end of that. Besides, if Hopkins actually manages to beat Calzaghe he had better retire, how the hell would he top that.

Thread Information