Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jones is serious about fighting calzaghe

Roy Jones Jr is confident of taking on world super-middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe sooner rather than later.
    The American, 39, knocked down Felix Trinidad twice in a unanimous points victory in New York on Saturday.

Calzaghe is hoping to face Bernard Hopkins in April and Jones is keen to do battle with the Welshman after that.

"We're going to Wales in the morning," his promoter Don King claimed, while Jones said: "I'm definitely looking to make that fight and I'm going there."

Jones added: "I'll fight anybody, anywhere, any time and if Hopkins-Calzaghe finishes how I think it will, I'll even go to Wales and fight. I don't care."

Is this the usual crap or will this fight actually happen

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jones is serious about fighting calzaghe

Who knows but to be honest i'd like to see it. More exciting than Calzaghe - Hopkins.

After Hopkins there isn't anybody out there for Joe.....especially anybody who he can make as much money against. So Roy would be ideal.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Joe C wants a big payday after the (hopefully) beating he gives B Hop,he should definitely fight RJJ. He should beat RJJ too imo. Too active,fights 3 minutes of every round and combined with Jones tendency to go to the ropes involuntarily AND Jones is more of a pot shotter now,then I'd think JOE C would win pretty comfortably. I don't really see how RJ could win. B Hop is a tougher test for Joe(even though I like Roy a million times more than Hop)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be a stupid IMO.If he wins people would just say that Roy would kill him in his prime.It would be the same old crap. But if it makes Joe c a couple million quid and if it's in Wales. Joe would have hard time saying no i guess.
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

ICB Guest

I would love to see Jones vs Calzaghe i think there styles would blend well to make for an exciting fight. Jones showed us last night he is still much quicker than Calzaghe hand speed wise, plus he can still be very offensive which he hadn't shown in his last few fights.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's amazing that Jones Jr has managed to retain his speed, into his 40th year!

I know he had inhuman, squirrel like reflexes with blurring handspeed; so any deterioration would not necessarily be noticed, but has Jones Jr lost any of his speed?

It seems from what folk are saying, that Jones Jr is still mesmerising.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax Error

I know he had inhuman, squirrel like reflexes with blurring handspeed; so any deterioration would not necessarily be noticed, but has Jones Jr lost any of his speed?

I was very impressed by him last night. His speed is mostly still there. He could throw a triple hook at blinding speed. His reflexes have lessoned so he has now compensated them with covering up.

When he did open up, he would overwhelm Tito. He also at times would make Tito afraid to throw punches at him, as Tito knew he would be countered.

If Roy can maintain what he did last night, and increase his punch output a bit, he could make any fighter afraid to throw punches at him. If he can do that, I give him a shot against anyone.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw

I was very impressed by him last night. His speed is mostly still there. He could throw a triple hook at blinding speed. His reflexes have lessoned so he has now compensated them with covering up.

When he did open up, he would overwhelm Tito. He also at times would make Tito afraid to throw punches at him, as Tito knew he would be countered.

If Roy can maintain what he did last night, and increase his punch output a bit, he could make any fighter afraid to throw punches at him. If he can do that, I give him a shot against anyone.
    Thankyou for that.

It seems as if RJj can have one last hurrah!!!!
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course Roy would fight Calzaghe, why wouldn't he? Roy can still box and box well. Joe doesn't have the power to land a 1 punch kncok out on him i don't thin, it would only be stopped if he was able to put stupid preasure on him and break him down, but i think roy still has to many skills for that to happen. Guys like Roy Jones miss fighitng in ront of big crowds in big fights...

there was somethign different i felt about Roy tonight last night. Being in MSG, being in front of a roaring crowd, it was like being in his prime again... The thought of fighting in front of 50, 60 or even 70,000 people against one of the worlds best is somethign Jones Jr would jump at doing right now, remeber, this would be a fight where Roy has nothing to losse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont think Jones would do very well against Joe but who knows. It might be a good comeback fight for joe after he gets taken to school by hopkins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think were gonna see Jones Calzaghe because Hopkins will beat Calzaghe. Hopkins will demand a fight with Roy but Roy will BS with the contract demands.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_shaw
    Roy Jones Jr is confident of taking on world super-middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe sooner rather than later.
    The American, 39, knocked down Felix Trinidad twice in a unanimous points victory in New York on Saturday.

Calzaghe is hoping to face Bernard Hopkins in April and Jones is keen to do battle with the Welshman after that.

"We're going to Wales in the morning," his promoter Don King claimed, while Jones said: "I'm definitely looking to make that fight and I'm going there."

Jones added: "I'll fight anybody, anywhere, any time and if Hopkins-Calzaghe finishes how I think it will, I'll even go to Wales and fight. I don't care."

Is this the usual crap or will this fight actually happen
    Joe will toy with RJJ the same way RJJ used to toy with his opponents.
    Joes got all the right tools to beat him now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, he's definitely lost some of his speed. In his prime, he was one of the fastest fighters PFP in history. Now, he is just well above-average speed wise, he doesn't have that all-time type speed anymore.

People who think Jones hasn't lost any speed need to download one of his fights from 10 years ago.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    Yes, he's definitely lost some of his speed. In his prime, he was one of the fastest fighters PFP in history. Now, he is just well above-average speed wise, he doesn't have that all-time type speed anymore.

People who think Jones hasn't lost any speed need to download one of his fights from 10 years ago.
    He is still faster than Calzaghe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea

He is still faster than Calzaghe.
    He's faster during the 60 seconds of a round when he can let his hands go. During the other 2 minutes when he needs to rest, he's not.

Thread Information