When I heard the news about Oscar fighting Steve Forbes, I was shocked. I'm not an Oscar fan, but I do respect the guy for fighting the best. He took on JCC, Whitaker, Quartey, Trinidad, Vargas, Mosley, Hopkins. And you have to respect that fact even though JCC and Whitaker we're past it, he shouldn't have got that decision against Quartey, he ran in the biggest three rounds of his career against Trinidad, he did what Tito already showed him how to do against Vargas, he got outhustled against Mosley, and Hopkins knocked him out. Whatever. You still have to respect the guy for taking those challenges in the first place.

But this trash that GBP is peddling as a "thank you" to the fans is completely disrespectful to any boxing fan. Oscar is damaging his own legacy. GREAT fighters don't do this. I understand taking a tune up but he could have fought a fringe contender or journeyman at welterweight like Judah, Collazo, Richard Gutierrez, Baldomir, Alfonso Gomez, or even Spadafora who's record would look good. Don't bring up a very small guy like Forbes to come all the way up to 150 where he has basically no shot in hell at even winning a round. While Forbes has fought at light welter/welter since the Contender, the guy is a lightweight. Floyd is basically the same size as Forbes but Floyd has a skill set that no else in boxing has that can compensate for his small stature. Forbes is nowhere near that.

The sad thing about this is that Steve "Two Pound" Forbes has the heart of a lion, maybe too much heart, but in this case he just doesn't have the physical tools to have a realistic shot. And what's even sadder is that Oscar already knows all of this. I hope one of two things happens, Oscar gets stopped on a body shot or Forbes runs and makes the fight so horrible to watch even though Oscar wins, it will be like he lost because the fight was so horrible.

With that being said, Oscar De La Hoya, as a boxer, is dead in my eyes. And I can't wait until the day he takes his checkbook and briefcase out of boxing and just focus on being promoter (because I actually like him as a promoter). Right now, Oscar De La Hoya as a boxer, is quite honestly, a cancer to the sport.