Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bert Cooper vs. George Foreman...what happened?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bert Cooper vs. George Foreman...what happened?

So I watched this fight on youtube today and was a bit puzzled. After two rounds of fairly competive fighting, Cooper just quit on his stool. Hadn't even been knocked down or nothin yet either.

Seemed outta character for him too. I always thought of him as a warrior. So anyone know what exactly happend in this fight? Did Cooper just feel the power and puss out or what?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bert Cooper vs. George Foreman...what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    So I watched this fight on youtube today and was a bit puzzled. After two rounds of fairly competive fighting, Cooper just quit on his stool. Hadn't even been knocked down or nothin yet either.

Seemed outta character for him too. I always thought of him as a warrior. So anyone know what exactly happend in this fight? Did Cooper just feel the power and puss out or what?
    Cooper was a conflicted soul.Very hot and cold.Pulled that no mas shit with Carl williams also.Foreman was killing his body if I remember and For as explosive as Cooper could be ,He sometimes found a way that would make you shake your head and say WTF.
    Find a Video of him Smashing Willie Dewitt,First time i saw Him and the Tyson comparisons were relentless

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haven't seen the fight, I always found it a bit odd as well that Foreman TKO'ed him in two since he was just on the comeback trail and Cooper was a dangerous guy with a big heart. However, I know Cooper had some serious drug problems, he was probably just in a bad phase of it.. I'm sure if you started smoking crack you'd have trouble going more than 2 rds with big George :P

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"I didnt wanna get hit with to many of them big shots....You know what I'm saying?Cause hes a big guy"
    O'Grady "did he hurt you"
    Cooper "yeh,he did with a right hook to the head ....to the eye...Ya know he just keeps coming"
    O'Grady "What do u think about him fighting mike Tyson"?
    Cooper "He wouldnt stand a chance against Tyson" "Tyson is to well seasoned..Ya know what Im saying....Hes young and (Cooper flailing Rt Hand)...Hes strong"

Wow,I forgot that the commission actually held Coopers purse for "Non Performance" at ring side.They tell him on live TV and cooper shows no emotion and shakes his head ok.Comissioner does Interview and comes off like a real dick.

You know what Hulk?I think he felt the power (huge shots).............Then pussed out.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli Surfs 'Nawlins

Cooper was a conflicted soul.Very hot and cold.Pulled that no mas shit with Carl williams also.Foreman was killing his body if I remember and For as explosive as Cooper could be ,He sometimes found a way that would make you shake your head and say WTF.
    Find a Video of him Smashing Willie Dewitt,First time i saw Him and the Tyson comparisons were relentless
    Just saw your quotes from the O'Grady interview. So I was right, it was that simple.
    I remember hearin in the beginning of the fight that Joe Frazier was Cooper's mentor or hero, or coach or something. And could offer no advice as to how to beat Foreman. Other than to watch Fraizer's fights with George as what NOT to do.
    Cooper probably found that a bit discouraging.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC#162 on me Spicoli.
    Great assesment here on the fight and what happened......
    Nicely done...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cooper was a conflicted soul.Very hot and cold.Pulled that no mas S*** with Carl williams also.Foreman was killing his body if I remember and For as explosive as Cooper could be ,He sometimes found a way that would make you shake your head and say WTF.

Agreed...Cooper was a huge disappointment when he would pull that BS crap...I was a big Cooper fan and really thought he was going to do something in the HW division until he started to decline...a decline that was brought on by himself not the ring....

Wasted potential
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh man poor Willie, his nose bled like it was a severed artery!LOL I remember that fight like it was yesterday.

It is a strange story actually, being a Canuck, after the 84 Olympics, Medalists Shawn O'Sullivan and Willie Dewitt were loved by the Canadian Media. All their fights were televised as they turned pro and were fed low caliber competition for a couple years. They got good paydays and were looking successful. The Media and public loved them.

After some time, and without being prepared, both were thrown to the wolves. Shawn was tossed in with Simon Brown and Willie was thrown in with Cooper. Both of them were destroyed in there.

Not really sure what became of Shawn, but Willie has become a successful lawyer.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe it was the body shots that forced Cooper to stop. He was used to head shots but Foreman changed tactic during that round and went for the body and that had the desired affect.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick

Cooper was a conflicted soul.Very hot and cold.Pulled that no mas S*** with Carl williams also.Foreman was killing his body if I remember and For as explosive as Cooper could be ,He sometimes found a way that would make you shake your head and say WTF.
    CC#162 on me Spicoli.
    Great assesment here on the fight and what happened......
    Nicely done...
    Thanks Mick,CC returned.A true story of what might have been with Cooper.

Thread Information