Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Thoughts on Gomez Cotto

I like that Gomez is going after the big fights and big money. He is a fun fighter to watch. He likes to please the fans... but I think this kid needs to slow down a bit. I mean, good for him for beating Gatti... But he's not going in with Jesse Feliciano here in April. This is a guy that has stood toe to toe with Zab Judah, Lovemore N'dou, DeMarcus Corley, Paul Malignaggi, Carlos Quintana, Oktay Urkal and Shane Mosley!

I mean, I like the matchup and your all but promised an exciting fight with the two of them in there but I've seen Gomez improving greatly since the Contender. He has turned into a decent boxer. I'd like to see him improve more and he could have a LEGIT shot at a strap... I don't see this fight as a legit shot. He's getting tossed into a meat grinder... It's like Banks vs Miranda....

also the undercard is shaping up great with Cintron Margarito!
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Thoughts on Gomez Cotto

It's going to be a great card and I am sure Gomez Cotto will be a good fight.

I might be wrong but I get the feeling Gomez is in it for the money and he knows he won't be big time so he will milk his semi-celebrity status from the Contender until it runs dry and he will continue to go in the ring with whoever he can untill he is no longer marketable.

I could be way off though... But I don't think his handlers did him any favors by putting him in the ring with Cotto at this stage in his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie Fan

I might be wrong but I get the feeling Gomez is in it for the money and he knows he won't be big time so he will milk his semi-celebrity status from the Contender until it runs dry and he will continue to go in the ring with whoever he can untill he is no longer marketable.

I could be way off though... But I don't think his handlers did him any favors by putting him in the ring with Cotto at this stage in his career.
    I think you're spot on! CC
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd expect it to the pretty straight forward for Cotto.

Ya never know tho

I'm more exciting by the Margarito - Cintron fight to be honest.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by PRIDE OF BOSTON

I think you're spot on! CC

CC back POB just my thoughts..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He, Gomez, is going to get destroyed for 12 rounds.

SigmaMu Guest

All the Contenders from season one seem to have been rushed but I think Manfredo Jr is more to blame than anyone else, since it was he that biatched and moaned about getting an undeserved title shot which in turn, put pressure on the rest of the Contenders and it's handlers. Peter was one of the most experienced fighters coming into the show with 21-0.
    Alfonso came in with 13-2 and Sergio Mora came on the show with only 11-0 record. I said it before and I will say it again, Peter did not have the experiece to face someone such as Calzaghe. Mora doesnt have the experience for Taylor and Alfonso does not have the experience for Cotto.

Peter was put to shame by Calzaghe.
    Taylor would have beat the noise out of Mora. (Wise decision not fighting him)
    And Cotto is going to put a vicious hurting on Gomez.

Contender people don't know how to manage a fighters career and that is an obvious fact. Sure they have the pull to get title fights but what good is getting a title fight if their fighters are not ready and chances are they wont win? I know some of you are thinking these guys aren't championship material and that it would not matter what the Contender people did.

Oh and like PRIDE OF BOSTON mentioned? LMAO @ Miranda vs Banks. Now here is a fighter (Banks) with very little experience. I think I read that he has no amateur background. Talk about throwing your fighters to the wolves

One more thing I think we should mention here is that Alfonso Gomez has never gone 12 rounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Gomez but is no match for Cotto.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't think much of Gomez chances at all. He seems tough but that in the long run for him might not be such a great thing since he'll take a long, drawn out beating.

I thought he looked a bit uncomfortable against an old past his prime Ben Tackie, and this is a completely different level than that. Although to be fair I thought Teddy Atlas was overstating how well Tackie was doing but it wasn't an impressive performance to me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    honestly i don't think he's gonna be able to go for 12 rnds with Cotto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    honestly i don't think he's gonna be able to go for 12 rnds with Cotto
    He's gonna look like a bus hit him!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this fight is slightly more credible than Oscar vs. Forbes. But only slightly.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    I think this fight is slightly more credible than Oscar vs. Forbes. But only slightly.
    Yeah, at least this guy is a Welter who has fough SuperMiddleWeights not some Lightweight.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, at least this guy is a Welter who has fough SuperMiddleWeights not some Lightweight.
    Still, it ain't no superfight, thats for sure.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Still, it ain't no superfight, thats for sure.
    Cotto can't fight in super fight after super fight,h'e sonly human,every fighter needs a breather here and there. it's a decent in between fight and not just that,but it's a smart move,putting him in with a Contender fighter,a well known fighter.

Thread Information