Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Kelly Pavlik Be in Top 10 P4P If He Beats Jermain Taylor Again ??

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Will Kelly Pavlik Be in Top 10 P4P If He Beats Jermain Taylor Again ??

This is how i have top 10.

1 Floyd Mayweather
    2 Manny Pacquiao
    3 Joe Calzaghe
    4 Bernard Hopkins
    5 Juan Manuel Marquez
    6 Miguel Cotto
    7 Israel Vasquez
    8 Rafael Marquez
    9 Ivan Calderon
    10 Juan Diaz

With Pavlik at 11 my question is do you think he should be top 10 p4p fighter if he beats Taylor again ?? im not so sure on this so i need you guys/girls to help me make up my mind.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will Kelly Pavlik Be in Top 10 P4P If He Beats Jermain Taylor Again ??

unless his first win was considered a fluke then obviously no...

Taylor wasnt in the top 10 when he beat him, and if taylor cud finish he would still be the champ. yes kelly showed heart to carry on and win and that earns respect, but shit this guy isnt and never will be a top 10 p4p...

i had very big hopes for taylor but he turned out to be a complete let down, the guy JUST about beat a freaking "decent" light middleweight before getting knocked out.. sure taylor can do more than what he has shown, but if pavlik beats him again then all he has proven is he is better than a guy who isnt in the top 10 in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will Kelly Pavlik Be in Top 10 P4P If He Beats Jermain Taylor Again ??

P4P means nothing to me, too hard to gauge accurately and it is too suggestive.

I will say this though. I would rather watch Pavlik fight over many in your list. Juan Diaz is right up there though, not intense but such graceful effortless offence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavlik is already top 10. if the undefeated MW Champion of the world isn;t 1 of the top 10 fighters in the world the sport has real issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, because Pavlik barely survived early rounds, Taylor has a lot of difficulties with smaller fighters of late, and Pavlik is just a one dimensional puncher... PUt him in with Calzaghe or Hopkins and he will get eaten up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think so....TBH his best wins are over Taylor and Miranda....I don't think even if he wins the Taylor rematch those wins merit him being in the P4P top 10.....

Today I think guys get thrown in the P4P list a bit too quickly....IMO to be considered P4P you need more then 2 or 3 wins against the top tier...even if one of them are or were in the P4P rankings
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Which goes to ask who has Juan Diaz, Ivan Calderon foughten? Certainly no top tier opponents. I still think Rafael and Israel aren't quite as good as everybody is making them out to be, especially Israel, I just feel he has Rafael's number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Which goes to ask who has Juan Diaz, Ivan Calderon foughten? Certainly no top tier opponents. I still think Rafael and Israel aren't quite as good as everybody is making them out to be, especially Israel, I just feel he has Rafael's number.

IMO Juan is not a P4P fighter...I think he is the best LW out thewre right now but there is a difference between being #1 in your division and P4P elite...I cant remember seeing Calderon on anyones P4P list...but a stronger case could be made for him then Diaz since many of the guys down at the LFW are good fighters just unheard of
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Big deal, Pavlik got dropped against Taylor. Pavlik got his a** up and won the fight. The fact is he did something guys like Wright and Hopkins couldn't do, he beat Taylor decisively. Also, Pavlik is not just a puncher. he has good range and throws good situational punches. Pavlik is slow but he does have some skill. Pavlik is easily 1 of the top 10 fighters in the world....EASILY. Putting guys ahead of Pavlik who lost there last fight is silly (Marquez) and didn;t Calderon get dropped in his last fight? yep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If people look through the divisions division by division there's not 10 guys definantely better than Pavlik. Anyways here is my list.

1 Floyd Mayweather
    2 Manny Pacquiao
    3 Joe Calzaghe
    4 Bernard Hopkins
    5 Juan Manuel Marquez
    6 Miguel Cotto
    7 Kelly Pavlik
    8 Israel Vasquez
    9 Rafael Marquez
    10 Christian Mijares

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lewis

Taylor wasnt in the top 10 when he beat him, and if taylor cud finish he would still be the champ. yes kelly showed heart to carry on and win and that earns respect, but S*** this guy isnt and never will be a top 10 p4p...

i had very big hopes for taylor but he turned out to be a complete let down, the guy JUST about beat a freaking "decent" light middleweight before getting knocked out.. sure taylor can do more than what he has shown, but if pavlik beats him again then all he has proven is he is better than a guy who isnt in the top 10 in the world.
    I thought Taylor was in the top 10 P4P ?? if i remember right most people here had him top 10 P4P fighter, and i think in the official rankings he was top 10 P4P as well.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by valdosta
    If people look through the divisions division by division there's not 10 guys definantely better than Pavlik. Anyways here is my list.

1 Floyd Mayweather
    2 Manny Pacquiao
    3 Joe Calzaghe
    4 Bernard Hopkins
    5 Juan Manuel Marquez
    6 Miguel Cotto
    7 Kelly Pavlik
    8 Israel Vasquez
    9 Rafael Marquez
    10 Christian Mijares
    What has Mijares done to warrant a place in the top 10? He beat Jorge Arce the Arturo Gatti of the flyweights, that don't make somebody p4p.

Ivan Calderon is undefeated, unlike Mijares, and a two weight world champ. Mijares isn't even in the top 20. Kessler, Taylor, Mosely, Juan Diaz, Juan Guzman, De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Calderon all without a doubt have better resumes.

I'd even put David Haye above Mijares, and Wlad Klitschko. Mijares has one win over a name opponent and that was against an exciting but limited B Level fighter. Arce is not even a top 30 p4p star so how does decisioning him put someone in the top 10?

Rest of the list is ok but Pavlik isn't quite top 10 yet. I completely agree with you regarding his potential and I think he will prove himself to be a top 10 p4p fighter in time but as of yet he hasn't made a signle world title defense yet.

His win over Taylor was spectacular and exciting but when creating a fair p4p list you cannot put someone based on media attention but on merit. Guys like Juan Diaz, Ivan Calderon and even Ricky Hatton have all won multiple world titles and made numerous succesful defenses hence they rate above him for now.

As to the original question, will he make the top 10 if he beats Taylor again, I'm not sure possibly for a while but it depends on other results. Certainly if he wins again he will have proven beyond doubt that he is for real and that the middleweight division has a genuine new star.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well he did knock him out the first time and if that did not put him in the top 10 P4P than beating him again won't do it.

Whether he is or he is not I leave up to you. But if right now you do not have him as a top 10, than another win over Taylor should not do it for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In response to some of things said here.

I believe Taylor was on most P4P lists at the time he lossed, though he was near the bottom.

Calderon cleaned up his division and was a champion for a long time then moved up and took on the undisputed top fighter in that division and beat him, despite being close to 20 pounds lighter and near a foot shorter. If that is not enough to make him at least 10th in your list, than I don't know what does. Imagine if he had been a welter, he might have been top 5 now.

Kelly Pavlik just won his first title in his last fight. Why would he be over Juan Diaz who has had several defenses and is a Unified champion with not 2 but 3 belts.

Finally, I think Miguel Cotto is a little too high on most people's list. Yes he is considered by most second only to Mayweather in a very hot division. But that consideration is mearly an opinion by the majority that has not been truely put to the test. Judah and Mosley were great wins but in trueth, Mosley should not have been in any P4P list when he fought Cotto therefore beating him should not make you one of the top P4P fighters.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lewis

Taylor wasnt in the top 10 when he beat him, and if taylor cud finish he would still be the champ. yes kelly showed heart to carry on and win and that earns respect, but S*** this guy isnt and never will be a top 10 p4p...

I thought Taylor was in the top 10 P4P ?? if i remember right most people here had him top 10 P4P fighter, and i think in the official rankings he was top 10 P4P as well.
    some people hear had him, some didn't...

The ring dropped him a fair while before the pavlik fight.

Thread Information