Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cotto ducks Gomez!

Share/Bookmark
    SigmaMu Guest

Angry Cotto ducks Gomez!

http://www.vocero.com/noticias.asp?s=Deportes&n=107488

Sin acuerdo combate Cotto vs Gómez

A pesar de que públicamente ha trascendido que Miguel Cotto expondrá su corona welter de la AMB el 12 de abril en Atlantic City, la realidad es que no ha llegado a un acuerdo con su promotor Bob Arum y continúa negociando su bolsa según dio a conocer Gabriel Peñagarícano, asesor legal del invicto monarca.

Translation:

Without an agreement bout Cotto vs Gomez

Although it has been made public that Miguel Cotto would put up his WBA Welter weight title on April 12th. in Atlantic City, against Alfonso Gomez, the truth is that Cotto has not come to an agreement with Bob Arum and will continue to negotiate his purse according to Gabriel Peñagarícano, legal adviser of the undefeated monarch.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto ducks Gomez!

cotto has no reason to duck gomez. i didn't want to see this fight cause i thought cotto would just be wasting his time, but i kinda do want to see cotto ktfo gomez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    http://www.vocero.com/noticias.asp?s=Deportes&n=107488

Sin acuerdo combate Cotto vs Gómez

A pesar de que públicamente ha trascendido que Miguel Cotto expondrá su corona welter de la AMB el 12 de abril en Atlantic City, la realidad es que no ha llegado a un acuerdo con su promotor Bob Arum y continúa negociando su bolsa según dio a conocer Gabriel Peñagarícano, asesor legal del invicto monarca.

Translation:

Without an agreement bout Cotto vs Gomez

Although it has been made public that Miguel Cotto would put up his WBA Welter weight title on April 12th. in Atlantic City, against Alfonso Gomez, the truth is that Cotto has not come to an agreement with Bob Arum and will continue to negotiate his purse according to Gabriel Peñagarícano, legal adviser of the undefeated monarch.

If I had to guess, I'd probably say that Cotto is kinda pissed that Bob Arum is matching him up with 2nd/3rd tier fighters like Gomez, while Cotto feels that he should be fighting a hell of a lot better competition than what Arum is putting in front of him.

Cotto hasn't fought an opponent as weak as Gomez since well before his Malignaggi fight.

Gianluca Bronco might be even shittier than Gomez, but it's pretty close.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is one of those cases were you can call it loads of things but none of them include the word "ducking."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was expecting a photoshop of Cotto ducking a Gomez punch. I bet Cotto got a bad offer considering the risk/reward that Gomez brings to the table. I actually think this fight is waaaay more risky for Cotto, if he loses its back to the drawing board if Gomez loses, it's not gonna shock anyone and it will probably be his best payday to date.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bronco = Gomez

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by frozensolid_702 View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd probably say that Cotto is kinda pissed that Bob Arum is matching him up with 2nd/3rd tier fighters like Gomez, while Cotto feels that he should be fighting a hell of a lot better competition than what Arum is putting in front of him.

Cotto hasn't fought an opponent as weak as Gomez since well before his Malignaggi fight.

Gianluca Bronco might be even shittier than Gomez, but it's pretty close.
    There's no way Cotto would mind fighting Gomez, of course he wants him. You may tut and laugh at the idea of fighting a reality TV show fighter but the fact is that they draw crowds. There's a reason why Joe Calzaghe wanted Peter Manfredo and why Jermain Taylor wanted to fight Sergio Mora and that is media attention and dollars.

Trust me Cotto and any other fighter for that matter would MUCH rather face an Alfonso Gomez than a tougher but lesser known fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    There's no way Cotto would mind fighting Gomez, of course he wants him. You may tut and laugh at the idea of fighting a reality TV show fighter but the fact is that they draw crowds. There's a reason why Joe Calzaghe wanted Peter Manfredo and why Jermain Taylor wanted to fight Sergio Mora and that is media attention and dollars.

Trust me Cotto and any other fighter for that matter would MUCH rather face an Alfonso Gomez than a tougher but lesser known fighter.

I can't think of any other reason that he wouldn't fight him. I saw somebody post something about a risk/reward ratio, but I seriously doubt that Cotto thinks that Gomez is too much of a threat, and Cotto doesn't seem like the type (admittedly, I don't know the guy) that would be too concerned about the money as opposed to his legacy.

Obviously I'm no Margarito fan, but.......................
    It kinda reminds me of when Margarito went against Bob Arum in order to fight the WBO #1 contender Paul Williams instead of vacating his belt in order to chase a much bigger payday with the much more recognized Miguel Cotto.

He did it because he wanted to be a true champion

Even I gave Margarito props on this forum for taking that fight instead of the money fight, even though I predicted him to lose against Williams.

That's just my theory, and I'm not saying that it's a fact or anything.

I would like to hear your theory for this recent turn of events.

SigmaMu Guest

Come on people, admit it. Cotto is afraid!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If the article is true, then it is interesting to note the Cotto camp seems to be flexing its muscles for the first time. Before it always appeared to be 'Yes, Mr Arum, sir; no, Mr Arum, sir!'

I guess Contender throws up some very lucrative keep-busy mismatches. Cotto just wants a bigger share of the easy money.

Serious question: is Gomez better known than Cotto with Joe Public in the States because of the series?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that's just funny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you suck
    Last edited by Puya; 02-08-2008 at 04:42 AM.
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post

I don't really buy into the fact that Contender fighters draw significantly bigger crowds than other fighters. The show was at least three years ago, had poor ratings, and anyone who became a "casual" boxing fan because of that show has long since become either an actual boxing fan or has reverted back to someone who doesn't give a shit about boxing. People came to see Calzaghe fight Manfredo because of Calzaghe, maybe a few tuned in to see Manfredo get the shit beat out of him. Calzaghe fought Manfredo apparently to get himself known in the states, was he really any better known after the Manfredo fight? I don't think he was, he gained the most popularity by beating Kessler. He could've fought every single one of the "contenders" and not have got a fraction of the acclaim he's rightfully getting for beating Kessler.
    Gomez may be a bit of an exception because he was clearly the most popular fighter on that show, but his current popularity is due mostly to his come forward style and to the fact that by KOing Gatti and beating Tackie he has become a legitimate prospect.
    You can't tell me that people would be lining up around the block to buy tickets to see Ishe Smith fight Peter Manfredo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok Arum helped Cotto to grow in the Boxing world. but taht doesn't mean that you can make him fight whoever you want. The same way Cotto, Floyd, OScar gained with Arum, the same way Arum made money with them.

Arum should adjust his pants or he will loose another great boxer
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

your are joking.. right?

Thread Information