Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Best CURRENT offensive p4p fighters.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Best CURRENT offensive p4p fighters.

This is my list based on competition, what a guy can do in the ring, how many weapons they have.

1. Manny Pacquaio- crushing left hand as a hook or a cross. He throws offensive combinations as well as anybody. He still among the best firepower in the world p4p, and to boot he now has a right hook that is devastating. He is the fastest guy on this list.
    2. Miguel Cotto- this guy is the best body puncher in the world, he muscles guys around on the inside, he lands on everyone so far on the outside... he has great timing, he hits physically as hard as anyone I've seen in a long time, its just he doesn't have that snap to his punch, but in terms of bludgeoning force he hits like a mule. Did I mention he hits really hard with both hands, and in combinations?
    3. Joe Calzaghe- he throws so many punches against almost everybody, he throws the largest combinations today, and if he had more power on them I would say he throws better ones than Pacquaio... he is probably the guy on this list for fighting on outside, and using the most of his speed and skill.
    4. Kelly Pavlik- this guy is a punching machine, and though I don't think he has the chin or that one punch KO power everybody brags about I still believe he is accurate, and like Cotto bludgeons guys in a fashion I haven't seen since George Foreman.
    5. Israel Vazquez- this guy hits hard, he doesn't stop, and he never gives up. I don't think he's the best at anything but without a defense he's managed to beat a very skilled guy like Rafael.
    6. Juan Diaz- this guy never stops punching, he has sneaky quick hands. He also has pretty good timing and though he doesn't have a whole lot of power, he sure beats the hell out of guys.
    7. Rafael Marquez- this guy can box, he certainly can hit, and he is very accurate... I think Vazquez has had his number in terms of styles, but he certainly is one of the top offensive fighters right now.
    8. Edwin Valero- this guy punches as hard as anyone in the world, he lands good enough shots, and in his sparring with Morales he shows enough technical skills that I believe he is the real deal.. sort of
    9. David Haye- he doesn't throw a whole slew of punches, but he has great power, good speed, and he lands those hard punches... he kind of reminds me if Lennox in that he is a great athlete, good heigh for his weight division, but he has a suspect chin(though Lennox didn't really). Anyways I think he really proved himself against Mormeck as an offensive force.
    10. Antonio Margarito- I hate to put him on this list because he is so sloppy, but so far he has gotten the job done in terms of offense alone, and he has good power, high punch output, and more importantly he has a great chin that allows for him to go buck wild if he needs to.

honorable mentions
    Kermit Cintron- power up there with Valero and a lower weight Pacquaio, but he seems to get gun shy in difficult situations, he lacks the balls to be a great offensive fighter.
    Katsidis-hits pretty hard, relentless type guy.
    Ricky Hatton: the best pure pressure fighter IMO, nobody closes faster than him, and when he is allowed to do what he wants on the inside he's a monster.
    Last edited by Taeth; 02-13-2008 at 06:15 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Best CURRENT offensive p4p fighters.

Good list Taeth nice idea. Pretty much agree with you.

I'd have Miranda in the honourable mentions bit as well along with Sam Peter.

Of course Edwin Valero should be in the top 10 as well as he is the best example of a guy who is pure offense.

In fact thinking about it I'd have Miranda and Valero as top 5 as there success is down totally to their offense really whereas guys like Pavlik, Calzaghe, Juan Diaz and increasingly Manny Pacquaio all have a better well rounded set of boxing skills to draw upon. These guys can win fights without pure offense if necessary, not sure you could say that about Miranda and Valero

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I gave both you chumbs rep. I was thinking Valero before I even opened this thread. Because like it was said of Valero and Miranda, they haven't gotten to where they are on defense.

Also katsidis is a hit get hit dude.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really good topic Taeth...
    Sending you some Rep.
    Heres my list.

1. JMM - Argueably the most complete fighter out there today. Straight right, hooks, body shots, uppercuts, jab some of the best combinations. You list it he does it.

2. Pac - P4P power, fast hands, straight left has improved in mixing it up. He only uses his jab as a range finder.

3. Cotto - P4P power and it's proven against World Class opponents. Combinations up stairs down stairs, hooks to the head to the body, his new found straight left & right. The strong jab he used his last time out.

4. Joe - Skills and punches for days... This guy can shot off from any angle as hes leaning or coming up. He can throw it, fast hands and puts his punches together. No power behind them like Juan but again hes done well for him.

5. Rafa - Just like his brother from the school of 'Nacho'... Combinations, accuracy he has it. His jab is not as good as his brothers.

6. Israel - Very skilled and has better power then Rafa, but I feel Rafa is slighty more schooled then he his. In fight #2 Rafa thought he could walk in and do what he did in the 1st fight which was a big mistake.

7. Linares - This kids got it all man... straights, hooks, uppers the body shots and power. I think the best is yet to come from this kid and when JMM, Pac, John, Guzman & Barrios are going out he'll beat anyone of them.
    (It's the cycle of boxing... )

8. Pavlik - P4P Power, slow but does make up for it in volume. Has crisp & sharp punches with good accuracy. Needs more movement and would like to see what one of his punches would do if landed to the body...

9. Juan Diaz - Non-stop punching machine. This kid fights for 180 seconds EVERY single round. His offense right now is uncompareable to anyones. The power deceives him but he does well without it.

10. Mikkel - Superb combinations, straight right, hooks and a really good jab. Good handspeed to go with really good power. One of the best offensive fighters out there today.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Off the top of my head...Israel Vasquez, Juan Manuel Marquez, Juan Diaz, Kelly Pavlik, Miguel Cotto, Manny Pacquiao, Ricky Hatton, Rafa Mrquez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nothing i can add that has'nt already been said
    but yeah katsidis and samuel peter to maybe squeeze into the top10 for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    This is my list based on competition, what a guy can do in the ring, how many weapons they have.

1. Manny Pacquaio- crushing left hand as a hook or a cross. He throws offensive combinations as well as anybody. He still among the best firepower in the world p4p, and to boot he now has a right hook that is devastating. He is the fastest guy on this list.
    2. Miguel Cotto- this guy is the best body puncher in the world, he muscles guys around on the inside, he lands on everyone so far on the outside... he has great timing, he hits physically as hard as anyone I've seen in a long time, its just he doesn't have that snap to his punch, but in terms of bludgeoning force he hits like a mule. Did I mention he hits really hard with both hands, and in combinations?
    3. Joe Calzaghe- he throws so many punches against almost everybody, he throws the largest combinations today, and if he had more power on them I would say he throws better ones than Pacquaio... he is probably the guy on this list for fighting on outside, and using the most of his speed and skill.
    4. Kelly Pavlik- this guy is a punching machine, and though I don't think he has the chin or that one punch KO power everybody brags about I still believe he is accurate, and like Cotto bludgeons guys in a fashion I haven't seen since George Foreman.
    5. Israel Vazquez- this guy hits hard, he doesn't stop, and he never gives up. I don't think he's the best at anything but without a defense he's managed to beat a very skilled guy like Rafael.
    6. Juan Diaz- this guy never stops punching, he has sneaky quick hands. He also has pretty good timing and though he doesn't have a whole lot of power, he sure beats the hell out of guys.
    7. Rafael Marquez- this guy can box, he certainly can hit, and he is very accurate... I think Vazquez has had his number in terms of styles, but he certainly is one of the top offensive fighters right now.
    8. Edwin Valero- this guy punches as hard as anyone in the world, he lands good enough shots, and in his sparring with Morales he shows enough technical skills that I believe he is the real deal.. sort of
    9. David Haye- he doesn't throw a whole slew of punches, but he has great power, good speed, and he lands those hard punches... he kind of reminds me if Lennox in that he is a great athlete, good heigh for his weight division, but he has a suspect chin(though Lennox didn't really). Anyways I think he really proved himself against Mormeck as an offensive force.
    10. Antonio Margarito- I hate to put him on this list because he is so sloppy, but so far he has gotten the job done in terms of offense alone, and he has good power, high punch output, and more importantly he has a great chin that allows for him to go buck wild if he needs to.

honorable mentions
    Kermit Cintron- power up there with Valero and a lower weight Pacquaio, but he seems to get gun shy in difficult situations, he lacks the balls to be a great offensive fighter.
    Katsidis-hits pretty hard, relentless type guy.
    Ricky Hatton: the best pure pressure fighter IMO, nobody closes faster than him, and when he is allowed to do what he wants on the inside he's a monster.
    Hi Taeth, nice list im agree, but you miss sombody "Roy Jones Jr." Why you left him? CC

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Since we are talking about the best 'offesive' fighter, no doubt it's pac. But let me continue a bit. The best 'defensive' would be PBF, Calderon, and Guzman - the so-called 'slick' fighters. The most balanced would be JMM, of course. The best of them all - anyone, whatever the style, who gets his job done against the best opponents out there; take you picks.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Pac's I DON'T GIVE A SHIT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT flying straight left. There's nothing tactical to it... but hey, as long as it is producing knockdowns, I got no problem with it.

JMM's counterpunch and combo impresses me too.

But I would put Andre Berto on top coz he's like a pitbull in the ring, just one agressive mofo.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good topic and list Taeth, sent some rep.. Can't think of any glaring exceptions to the lists that have already been posted... However I think you could easily argue Roy Jones still deserves a spot since we are talking strictly offensive abilities.. However I suppose his mentality what with being gunshy has lead to him being much less busy on offence. Still the skills, speed and his overall arsenal are still very much there imo.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Surprised nobody's even mentioned Wlad as an honorable mention.

I'm not a fan and he maybe doesn't have great punch variety but what he does well (jab, right hand, left hook) he does very well and obviously he's got great physical talent, so much power, fast for his size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pacquiao and Cotto are clearly the top 2. Cotto is much more refined technically and is much more well-rounded, Pacquiao has more raw speed and explosion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Good topic and list Taeth, sent some rep.. Can't think of any glaring exceptions to the lists that have already been posted... However I think you could easily argue Roy Jones still deserves a spot since we are talking strictly offensive abilities.. However I suppose his mentality what with being gunshy has lead to him being much less busy on offence. Still the skills, speed and his overall arsenal are still very much there imo.
    He is way too gunshy... when he was backing up big light heavyweights, and they had no answer for him, I agree he was among the best offensive fighters I've ever seen, but now Roy is mostly fighting off his back foot, and he doesn't throw the effective combinations he used to.

Thread Information