Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You know how i know boxing is dead in the U.S

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: You know how i know boxing is dead in the U.S

Quote Originally Posted by Slowmotion426 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    We've got no heavyweights. If there were one or two good heavyweights it would help boxing a lot.
    We've got half a dozen great heavywieghts. It's just become the 'in' thing to bash the heavyweights that's all.
    Kirkland just likes to bitch is all.

I think the division is competitive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Boxer View Post
    I can miss a big fight on Saturday night with the intentions of downloading the fight the next day or watching it for free the next saturday and not have to worry about hearing the results before i see the fight. The only exception would be 1. if Hopkins fights because i live in Philly. 2. I get on a boxing website. other than that i have no worries.

matter of fact even when hopkins fights the local media still act like it's not important.

this is really sad
    Not really true,WiP was talking up both of Bernards last two fights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Boxing did it to itself....they priced themselves out of favor with the fans and more importantly the stations covering the events (NBC).

Look at UFC and MMA it's everywhere! Because it's good? NOOOOO because it's CHEAP!!!!

UFC PPV's are cheap as hell when compared to boxing...sure the shmucks fighting in the UFC don't get paid as well as let's say De la Hoya, RJJ, Pacquiao, and Mayweather Jr. but they give the fans what they want for what they are willing to pay.

I don't mind SOME fights being PPV but when Shannon Briggs-Ray Mercer is a PPV fight in 2005 then something is mega wrong. Also the highlights of these fights can't be shown often or at all in most cases.

I agree I will say this David Tua vs Saul Montana is not PPV worthy. That and the amount of coverage on our beloved ESPN.Why is it that PTI or around the horn can't chime in unless it's Tyson getting a DUI or Oscar dressing in fishnet's.HBO and Showtime have also added their parts in destroying the sport by making contracts to fighter's and taking them away from mainstream T.V. I think the government should take over the sport. Put it on ABC or NBC in America and we the fans can decide how much these fighter's get for the fight.Pay them half before the fight and if they put on a good showing give them the other half and bonuses if it was very entertaining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sparse coverage in the two Boston newspapers. neither one has a boxing writer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're lucky the papers over here have a monthly column by Colin Hart in the sun and a bile filled rant against Ricky Hatton every sunday written by Frank Warren himself

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Boxing did it to itself....they priced themselves out of favor with the fans and more importantly the stations covering the events (NBC).

Look at UFC and MMA it's everywhere! Because it's good? NOOOOO because it's CHEAP!!!!

UFC PPV's are cheap as hell when compared to boxing...sure the shmucks fighting in the UFC don't get paid as well as let's say De la Hoya, RJJ, Pacquiao, and Mayweather Jr. but they give the fans what they want for what they are willing to pay.

I don't mind SOME fights being PPV but when Shannon Briggs-Ray Mercer is a PPV fight in 2005 then something is mega wrong. Also the highlights of these fights can't be shown often or at all in most cases.

Where I live UFC PPV's are 49.99, same as almost any boxing PPV. And I don't think the price would have anything to do with it's popularity even if it were cheaper. Like it or not, the UFC has done a much better job marketing itself than boxing has forever. Maybe that's only because it's in the infancy stage and Dana White still controls all the action, making matchmaking so much easier. Basically every UFC event someone I know will have a bunch of people over to throw in 5 bucks each and drink some beers, BBQ, and watch the fights. Only time I've ever heard of a social event contingent on a boxing match was Mayweather DLH and most of my friends thought it was really boring. I think UFC just appeals to the average bloodthirsty young male, who don't need to appreciate the skillset involved as long as they see guys with mohawks busting each other up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boxer View Post
    I can miss a big fight on Saturday night with the intentions of downloading the fight the next day or watching it for free the next saturday and not have to worry about hearing the results before i see the fight. The only exception would be 1. if Hopkins fights because i live in Philly. 2. I get on a boxing website. other than that i have no worries.

matter of fact even when hopkins fights the local media still act like it's not important.

this is really sad
    Not really true,WiP was talking up both of Bernards last two fights

Thats a first

Thread Information