Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Floyd Mayweather is definitely avoiding Cotto.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd Mayweather is definitely avoiding Cotto.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Fighters are always going to fight the guy who makes them the most money. It's not just Floyd Mayweather. Why do you think Pacquiao chose to fight Marquez instead of going to lightweight? Because Marquez caved and demanded less money, making it the most profitable fight for Manny.

It's simple... as much as people love Cotto, Floyd isn't going to seriously consider him as an opponent until Cotto is the guy who brings the biggest potential paycheck. Fighting Oscar again makes Floyd a lot more money than fighting Cotto, which is why he's fighting Oscar this fall and not Cotto.

When Floyd beats Oscar again and removes him from the equation, then Cotto becomes the biggest potential money maker for Floyd. If Floyd refuses to fight Cotto at that point and takes a smaller check against someone else instead, then criticize him all you want.

If you don't like the fact that guys make decisions based on what will bring them the most money, then you might as well quit watching professional sports, because that's how it's always been and how it's always going to be.
    This is why i like this forum, couldn't have said it better myself!
    A good analytical post that is exactly why PBF will not be fighting Cotto this year! We won't see PBF V Cotto until this time next year at the earliest!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Who has Mayweather fought at welterweight? Um he fought a much faster looking, a sharper Zab Judah then the one that fought Cotto. Cotto punches harder than Mayweather of course he has been able to take out guys that Mayweather hasn't (Sosa, Corley) that doesn't mean a thing. Moving up to 154 to face Oscar Dela Hoya is a way bigger threat to Mayweather than facing Cotto, and you want to know why? Oscar is faster than Cotto, he has a many of the same skill sets as Cotto, he is a little better at boxing on the outside, and he has a way better chin than Cotto. I think Cotto has certain skills that Oscar doesn't, but to fight Oscar is to be in the spot light and Mayweather had never been in the spotlight like that before. IMO guys like Zab Judah present more of a problem for Mayweather for then Cotto in many respects, first of all Zab is the closest guy to measuring up with mayweather in the speed department, Secondly MAyweather comes forward against Southpaws which he definitely isn't as good at doing as countering. Mayweather also fought Baldomir, an albeit slow but industructible welterweight, now I think a few guys can beat Baldomir, but not like Mayweather did, Baldomir landed 12% of his punches in that fight where as he was landing WAY more regularly on Judah. Mayweather also fought Ricky Hatton one of the guys people felt was the most dangerous of anyone he could face because of Ricky's footspeed, pressure, and inside fighting ability, yet Mayweather beat him in every aspect of the fight.

I am sick people who think that Mayweahter isn't taking challenges, you would have to have your head up your ass to not think he is facing quality opposition. Cotto-Mayweather will come, but not this year, next year Mayweather will face Cotto when Cotto is more well known after fighting Mayorga and Mayweather will beat Cotto because he is too fast, and too good.
    Some rep your way... But honestly I wouldn't bother trying to reason with pure haters. These clowns will always say Floyd is ducking someone, because they dont like him. If he hadn't fought Hatton they'd still be screaming how afraid of him Floyd is. If anyone has trouble understanding why Floyd is fighting Oscar again instead of Cotto, they are either extremely stupid, or just not bothering to be objective about it. "Mayweather-Cotto would make lot's of money too" has to be about the dumbest thing someone could say, if they think it's supposed to be a legitimate point. Oscar will bring Floyd probably 5-10 times in the rematch what he would make fighting Cotto, not too mention the notoriety. If anyone here feels they'd train their ass off for months to take a much smaller paycheck for much less recognition against an opponent who poses an equal threat, please, do tell why. Especially when it won't change anything in the long run. I'd love to see Mayweather fight Cotto instead of Oscar as well, I think all boxing fans would. The problem is that most people who would pay for the rematch on PPV, don't even know who Miguel Cotto is. It's really not difficult to understand. The fact that people expect Floyd to go out of his way to please such a small number of hardcore boxing fans who for the most part hate on him anyways, is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe a few years back Floyd offered Cotto the fight when they were both under Bob Arum however it was turned down. Its similar to the Shane Mosley situation where Floyd offered him the fight but he decided to go on holiday instead. Floyd is in a situation now where he can choose who he fights because he has earned the right to.

As for the record comparason i think thats unfair Cotto has been at the 140lb division for nearly his whole career Mayweather hasnt.

Mayweather has beat guys like Corrales,Hernandez,Manfredy,Corley,Castillo who were all bonified opponants + De La Hoya,Judah, Hatton so your argument is pritty weak.

Also in the Judah fight Mayweather was about to KO him in the 10th but Judah low blowed and rabbit punched to break up his rythem and buy some time.

Now there is only one reason that Mayweather aint fighting Cotto yet because hes the only guy left to make some $$$ after De La Hoya so he wants Cottos stock to rise to its peak.

This is a completely different situation from Hattons as there are 2 big money fights out there in Pac and Juan Diaz and the other guys like Torres,Witter,Resse,Paulie there stock has risen about as high as its going to get before they take a lose.

Mayweather aint ducking Cotto hes just looking at the situation from a buisness perspective. De La Hoya is still a game fighter and he is far from shot add that to the Floyd senior in his corner and they have an angle to make $$$ whereas Lazcarno brings nothing to the table for Hatton hes a made to measure punching bag and there are plenty other options out there for him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still say as much as I love Cotto that Oscar De La Hoya is likely the bigger threat for Mayweather. Cotto is as natural in the ring as anyone in the past 10 years except maybe B-Hop, PBF, and RJJ, but he is still right up there, however I think that he is still a little too open to right hands, and I think true movement will cause him trouble because he has to set down everytime he punches. Mosley was more effective against COtto when he was moving, and he isn't even that good technically when he is fighting off his back foot which is why Wright and Forrest gave him so many problems in the first place. I think Cotto is a great fighter, but he isn't MAyweather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wink Re: Floyd Mayweather is definitely avoiding Cotto.

Please, this thread is a got dam joke

1)Cotto has NEVER EVER beaten a top flight fighter except Mosely and a 37 year old Mosely at that let alone a star fighter in his prime... Undisputable FACT!!!!!!!!!!

2) Cotto has never beaten a Champion at 140-147 to get a belt all he did was fight for vacancies...

3)no one in Cotto's camp even his promoter has thrown a bona fied offer to Floyd to fight Cotto, exce[pt his graveling groupies who piss and moan

4)Delahoya is a bigger threat than Cotto, if Cotto was worth a dam and had any pull or any appeal outside of his circle jerk groupies than Delahoya himself would have made a fight with Cotto... Delahoya might be a whory promoter these days but he has ducked no one or EVER walked away from a legitimate threat or challenge..

5) who really gives a flying shite what you whiners think, you just add more momentum and attention to Mayweather's success... he is Universally recognized pfp#1 in the world so all the spotting that your hairy triangles do wont change that...

Let Cotto pull a Calzaghe and fight Manfredo you Jokers will find someway to pontificate Cotto and give Gomez a chance... Some of you really make it hard to root for Cotto, he is such a gentleman but some are turning into Royal's with his lust for Kessler

Dont worry Floyd will tap Cotto's azz soon enough for you guys, no worry there

In case you forgot Lee.... Lets get to the krux of your complaint

Hope that helped junior

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock View Post
    Please, this thread is a got dam joke

1)Cotto has NEVER EVER beaten a top flight fighter except Mosely and a 37 year old Mosely at that let alone a star fighter in his prime... Undisputable FACT!!!!!!!!!!

2) Cotto has never beaten a Champion at 140-147 to get a belt all he did was fight for vacancies...

3)no one in Cotto's camp even his promoter has thrown a bona fied offer to Floyd to fight Cotto, exce[pt his graveling groupies who piss and moan

4)Delahoya is a bigger threat than Cotto, if Cotto was worth a dam and had any pull or any appeal outside of his circle jerk groupies than Delahoya himself would have made a fight with Cotto... Delahoya might be a whory promoter these days but he has ducked no one or EVER walked away from a legitimate threat or challenge..

5) who really gives a flying shite what you whiners think, you just add more momentum and attention to Mayweather's success... he is Universally recognized pfp#1 in the world so all the spotting that your hairy triangles do wont change that...

Let Cotto pull a Calzaghe and fight Manfredo you Jokers will find someway to pontificate Cotto and give Gomez a chance... Some of you really make it hard to root for Cotto, he is such a gentleman but some are turning into Royal's with his lust for Kessler

Dont worry Floyd will tap Cotto's azz soon enough for you guys, no worry there

In case you forgot Lee.... Lets get to the krux of your complaint

Hope that helped junior

I love it .. people like you keep comparing Cotto to HAtton and tha will be Floyd's downside,
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

SigmaMu Guest

If Mayweather does not pull for a Cotto fight, PBF will go down as giant Vagina in boxing history and I will be here to remind people of that as long as we live.

As of today, Money Mayweather Jr., is looking more like counterfeit Money Mayweather Jr. maybe he should be called Food Stamp Mayweather Jr.

I also recall Mayweather saying after his Hatton bout that he was not trying to call out any WELTER WEIGHTS. When merchant asked him about Cotto, Floyd peed on himself and had nothing but good things to say about Miguel Cotto.

I smell Mayweather Jr vagina written all over this one.

Last edited by SigmaMu; 02-22-2008 at 02:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Puya View Post
    I love it .. people like you keep comparing Cotto to HAtton and tha will be Floyd's downside,
    Nope not the point... I like how people ALWAYS glaze over those points but pick out the insignifigant joke I was playing on Lefty who is no doubt still torn over his hero eating a turnbuckle.... I never compared Hatton to Cotto...

Mosely already showed how to beat Cotto... Uppercut cause the inside his mouth is made out of tissue paper and will bleed for the rest of his career do to scar tissue, and dig the body and he will fade.. Mosely had him on the run at the end of the fight but was stupid enough to keep walking into counters and not to mention Shane never was known for good form,fundamentals or intelligence he dosent have 1/2 the technical brilliance as Floyd.. Mayweather is brutal to the body when he wants to be just ask Delahoya who was doing the knee buckling Shuffle when Floyd layed into his midsection and when Cotto fades he wont make the same mistake and get over anxious when Cotto go's on the run... Cotto will be systematically and dissected with surgical presicion... Thats why Arum wont throw his flavor of the day to the wolves just yet tap that moneymaker clean and then let Floyd clown him when he is at his peak... just a matter of time when the hunted becomes the hunter
    Last edited by JT Rock; 02-22-2008 at 02:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    If Mayweather does not pull for a Cotto fight, PBF will go down as giant Vagina in boxing history and I will be here to remind people of that as long as we live.

As of today, Money Mayweather Jr., is looking more like counterfeit Money Mayweather Jr. maybe he should be called Food Stamp Mayweather Jr.

I also recall Mayweather saying after his Hatton bout that he was not trying to call out any WELTER WEIGHTS. When merchant asked him about Cotto, Floyd peed on himself and had nothing but good things to say about Miguel Cotto.

I smell Mayweather Jr vagina written all over this one.

Should go good with the shit in Arums pants with the though of potentially losing his cash register...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fighters are always going to fight the guy who makes them the most money. It's not just Floyd Mayweather. Why do you think Pacquiao chose to fight Marquez instead of going to lightweight? Because Marquez caved and demanded less money, making it the most profitable fight for Manny.

It's simple... as much as people love Cotto, Floyd isn't going to seriously consider him as an opponent until Cotto is the guy who brings the biggest potential paycheck. Fighting Oscar again makes Floyd a lot more money than fighting Cotto, which is why he's fighting Oscar this fall and not Cotto.

When Floyd beats Oscar again and removes him from the equation, then Cotto becomes the biggest potential money maker for Floyd. If Floyd refuses to fight Cotto at that point and takes a smaller check against someone else instead, then criticize him all you want.

If you don't like the fact that guys make decisions based on what will bring them the most money, then you might as well quit watching professional sports, because that's how it's always been and how it's always going to be.
    Well again it brings me to the same point. It's understandable that he wants the most money but then he can't have the p4p title because he's undeserving.

How much clearer does it have to be put? How many excuses are gonna be made for floyd by you guys?
    Francisco "The Wizard" Palacios
    WBA Fedelatin Champ -WBC #1 Contender
    21-1* (13 K.O.s) Cruiserweight

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Baby-Faced-Assassin View Post
    I think mayweather will beat cotto although i dont want him to
    I think Mayweather will beat Cotto although I don't want him to. Cotto's footwork, hand speed, etc. Doesn't compare to Floyd's. I can visualize already something similar to Mayweather vs Gatti or Mayweather vs Baldomir. Slow guy against the fast guy who can't be hit with more than 2 punches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bx730NY View Post
    It's understandable that he wants the most money but then he can't have the p4p title because he's undeserving.
    Then I guess you think Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Roy Jones were underserving of being #1 PFP as well.... because they thought the exact same way Floyd thinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Then I guess you think Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Roy Jones were underserving of being #1 PFP as well.... because they thought the exact same way Floyd thinks.
    Oh please man, you always have some lame coverup. It is what it is and thats just stating facts. Stop making excuses for the guy. He doesn't need you to. He makes enough on his own.
    Francisco "The Wizard" Palacios
    WBA Fedelatin Champ -WBC #1 Contender
    21-1* (13 K.O.s) Cruiserweight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bx730NY View Post
    Oh please man, you always have some lame coverup. It is what it is and thats just stating facts. Stop making excuses for the guy. He doesn't need you to. He makes enough on his own.
    So then are you saying that my previous post is inaccurate, and that Robinson, Leonard and Jones didn't care about making as much money as possible?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock View Post
    Nope not the point... I like how people ALWAYS glaze over those points but pick out the insignifigant joke I was playing on Lefty who is no doubt still torn over his hero eating a turnbuckle.... I never compared Hatton to Cotto...

Mosely already showed how to beat Cotto... Uppercut cause the inside his mouth is made out of tissue paper and will bleed for the rest of his career do to scar tissue, and dig the body and he will fade.. Mosely had him on the run at the end of the fight but was stupid enough to keep walking into counters and not to mention Shane never was known for good form,fundamentals or intelligence he dosent have 1/2 the technical brilliance as Floyd.. Mayweather is brutal to the body when he wants to be just ask Delahoya who was doing the knee buckling Shuffle when Floyd layed into his midsection and when Cotto fades he wont make the same mistake and get over anxious when Cotto go's on the run... Cotto will be systematically and dissected with surgical presicion... Thats why Arum wont throw his flavor of the day to the wolves just yet tap that moneymaker clean and then let Floyd clown him when he is at his peak... just a matter of time when the hunted becomes the hunter
    I can't let this go either. MOsley really didn't cause Cotto to run, something was obviously bothering Cotto, but up until that point he was wearing out Mosley more than anyone I've ever seen except Vernon. Second Mayweather throw uppercuts or looping punches very much, and Cotto has gotten pretty good at avoiding them, what I see however is that Mayweather will land enough to win every round, but it won't be horribly one sided like Mayweather vs Hatton. Cotto is hard to hit cleanly, he's a terrific body puncher, sneaky speed, the only problem is that Mayweather is as brilliant as he is, but mosley is a better offensive fighter than Mayweather so from that perspective what he was able to do offensively against Cotto is irrelevant with mayweather.

Thread Information