Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: what was the hardest thing about starting boxing for you?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hardest bit of boxing

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: hardest bit of boxing

Getting hit is the worst part

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah suppose, but then after 6 or 6 rounds, you just diddnt care anymore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think you need to get hit hard a few times as after that u dont wanna get hit again!
    i think alot of fear is from looking like a dick wen ur surrounded by more experienced boxers and u take advice off anyone whos willing to give it, which in my experience buggers u up more as u need to learn wot style is comfortable 4 u
    I'm the real pretty boy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

and damn did i ever get hit hard lots of times when i first joined!
    scott my trainer hits me full on all the time, freakin broke my ribs once!

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I was young the only sport I cared about and everybody was against that. My father had contemplated boxing but he said that it was Fritzie Zivic's raspy voice- not the flattened nose or cauliflowered ears- that convinced him to try a different trade. He was adamantly against the idea of me boxing, so when a friend's father- he'd won a local tournament years prior- said he'd teach us how to box, I was soaring. Turns out what he meant to say was "I bought these gloves so that when my friends and I get drunk, we can see which of us can make which of you fly the furthest" A few years later a friend was training with his cousin- another ex GGer- and invited me down, said he'd agreed to train me, too. What he meant to say was "You are about 2/3 my size and I'm tired of hitting the bags." Problem was he couldn't hit me to save his life; I'd have sold my souil to know how to use my left hand. So, at the library I found Henry Cooper's book on boxing learned the hook there, the jab in Floyd Patterson's book, From then on I have read every book and seen every video I've come across, and listened to and analyzed every word any 'expert' uttered within my hearing. For years it seemed that in each and every gym I entered seeking sparring, I was seen as a lame old white guy (grey early) and was set up to be target practice, but if they think you are afraid it is so much easier to bring them in , make 'em reach and counter HARD. That was the hardest thing- having such a sincere desire to learn and work hard and trusting (at first) people who had no interest in me beyond my utility as cannon fodder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sounds like a sad story
    being cannon fodder sucks ass, but hey, gotta start somwhere right
    oh and man post some happy stuff, when i read your posts like that i feel all empty and stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are a driven headstrong, dreamer, then you can just think "I can do that" The hardest part is waking youself up. The toil of boxing can be sum'd up in just three words. GRIND GRIND GRIND! Once you realize how vast your heart is you can run the extra-mile, even if your legs feel like acid logs, with the the right mindset you can conquer opposition and overcome adversity.

How I see it is when you have truly have heart, your life is all about leaps of faith, see'n how hard you can push yourself. You gotta be a believer too, doubt and negativity weigh down like a damn lead-ass-balloon, you gotta wake yourself up, like the wise man says "Just Do It!" And the drive, with undying commitment comes that grand-sensation that you knew you put all your might into something, and you don't regret dam'n thing because you did it!

At my highschool's Gymnasium , there's Colossal words of wisdom encompassing the walls, "DREAM ITÂ BELIEVE ITÂ ACHIEVE IT!" Dreams, our deepest desires take absolute belief and full commitment to achieve and believe that we can do anything we set out to do. You gotta wake yourself up and just do it, put 100% into it all your might all your heart, if you leave anything on the table, who's to blame if things flip.

My biggest regret is in me keeping myself down, I can't say I been busted my ass for long run, I don't have that sensation of 100%'ness yet because I haven't done everything yet. I'm forever reaching now, dreams are reached when belief replaces doubt, and when we forever act with all our might. I have to continue to believe, and continue busting my ass for my dream, if I want that as reality. That reality I want is to become the greatest in my eyes in whatever I do.

A Lil 'bout me...
    My name is Chris Nagel, I'm a 17 year old michigan born pug, who's licked everything 'cept a formal boxing experience. Over the years I've learned how to draw fists with childhood-yobs, street fighters and any chance I got I took. Nowadays I fill my head with everything I could scrape up from books and on the internet, looking for skull practice and inspiration, there's a whole world of information just waiting to to spill.
    As inspiration is concerned I got my first impression about some hell'uva fighter none other than Rocky Marciano. Besides an Untarnished record, and knockout fists, I was brought into grips with the kinda guy he was. He had dedication like you can hardly believe, worked like a year-round machine. He had unflinching confidence, genuine generosity, and a heart of gold. In his hungry days as a pug, he'd wake up real early and run 12 miles around the hilly country side of Grossinger Airport. In everything did he went the distance and took it an extra mile.
    I've been slacking for a year prior, and just in the last month have I really started to realize what I want, what it is gonna take. One of my goals now is to asap get into a boxing gym, and become a somebody, I know I can lick anybody alive if I act with all my might. I like the thrill of fighting, it makes me hungry, to be the best I can be. And if there is something to behold with Rocky Marciano, is the Dream, and the Drive. Success is more of a Marathon than a sprint, and I'm just getting started.

"Just do it!"

-Rocky
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

noice
    i thought youd be older than 17, but thats good, im 17 too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ahem, I'm 17 years'2 months ta'be exact, but you can still call me daddy if you want "j/k"

Don't forget that Father's Day is Next month, I'll be wait'n

-Rocky
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yesss...fathers day
    well that makes me older than you so ha!
    i was born on friday the 13th of febuary
    so im your daddy!
    (ps dont forget fathers day is next month)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a freak'n PARADOX, I know your mom,
    no seriously I do...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well it would be funny if my dad wasnt dead.
    im serious btw, but dont worry i got used to it, people put their foot in it all the time
    and if you know my mum like i think you might be suggesting i have 2 things to say to you
    1: you are a sad and lonely man
    2: im the only sad and lonely man for her bitch, step off!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seriously i'm sorry to hear about your dad, sometimes my black heart makes me say/do evil things. Sometimes I write "ReDrUm" on my mirror with red crayon, and hum Drowning Pool's "Bodies" when I walk to the bus. But let me set things straight. "I'm not a sick and lonely man" Call it Mind Control, but I have my way's with women. The only sad part about me is that I don't know and probably will never know your mom provided you never tell me.

I gotta few questions for you...
    Quote Originally Posted by alex w
    2: im the only sad and lonely man for her bitch, step off!
    1: who's her bitch?
    2: Do they know how to play twister?
    3: Can you say "I'm not getting a Father's Day Card"

I never mean any disrespect, I'll "step off" if you think I stepped on something (checks his shoe). And again I'm sorry about your Dad, I don't know how many times that I say a crude joke to someone, and findout their dad/mom/etc is dead.

-Peace Out, Rocky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sucks ass dont it, us bitches that have dead parents!

seriousely before my dad died (which was only about 5 months ago) i always used to say something like "ill kill your family" as a joke to some dude, and it turns out his whole family was slaughtered and he was forced to watch!
    goddam stupid if you ask me.

her bitch is pingu the dolphin
    from personal experience i can tell you that the fact he is infact a fictional clad dolphin measuring a mere 6 cm he cant play twister for toffies
    im not going to have fun at my dads expense so no

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't really have any tragedies that are my own, my dad's an old-timer, I just want to make'im proud before I'm outta time. Live like I got something to give.

Quote Originally Posted by alex w
    seriousely before my dad died (which was only about 5 months ago) i always used to say something like "ill kill your family" as a joke to some dude, and it turns out his whole family was slaughtered and he was forced to watch!
    goddam stupid if you ask me!
    It's crazy how the things we say come'round and bites us in the ass and comes close to home. God dams stupidity. All we can do is be the better man, and say I'm to good to "bitchslap" 'em, when you think about it most scraps aren't worth it, just tell yourself those stupid, daft shitheads will have it coming.

Don't mind me asking, but what got ya into boxing?

I like boxing for all it's thrill and glamor. People need to find their inner can of whoop-ass, I get mine outta fighting. I get alotta inspiration from the champs I undertand, and the knuckheads I stand with. We all need passion, that's what makes life fun.

,Forget about twister, and slap Pingu for me.

Regards, Rocky

Thread Information