Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Cott vs Gomez totally acceptable but not ODLH vs Forbes?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why is Cott vs Gomez totally acceptable but not ODLH vs Forbes?

I keep hearing all kinds of crap about ODLH because he's facing a not-so-challenging (or so it seems) opponent but Cotto vs Gomez was just totally acceptable and people praised it...why?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why is Cott vs Gomez totally acceptable but not ODLH vs Forbes?

Well Gomez was a junior middleweight who had had moderate success in the welterweight division and was naturally bigger than Cotto.

Forbes is a super featherweight who is half the size of De La Hoya.

It's a size mismatch.

Cotto did destory Gomez but Gomez was still a reasonable challenge. He went 1-1-1 with Feliciano who equipped himself well against Cintron and has wins over high profile stars in Gatti and Manfredo. He'd also beaten Tackie and Jesse Brinkley so he was an ok stay busy opponent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because there are a lot of Oscar haters. Props to Cotto for doing what he was supposed to do...beat a severely over matched opponent. But this fight was nothing to get excited about. In all honesty...even with his improved jab...i don't see Cotto beating Floyd. Doesn't have the speed and is still prone to getting hit. Don't get me wrong...i like Cotto....he is an excellent fighter with a warrior mentality...and i would love to see him beat Mayweather. But i don't see it happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Chino , how you doing ?good post man , well Chino i have to say that ODLH he promoting and choose his fight , he knows with who want fight , but Cotto have his promoter , Bob Arum as you know and he cant choose with who want to fight , i understand your point , but since ODLH had been his own promoter , he created some doubts and incognitas of how is manage it the way of choosing opponents , I'm really don't differing about this fight with Forbes , he is going fight with a different opponent and he is good in his Div., do you know how Forbes had to move up for fight DLH ? , and why with PBF again ? that is what i try to mean , obviously the fight between Cotto/Gomez wasnt a real matchup , that is what i guess........

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you look back on the year you will have a list that looks as follows

Cotto vs. Gomez (April)
    Cotto vs. Margarito (July)
    Cotto vs. (October)

ODLH vs. Forbes (May)

It is acceptable for Cotto to take one easy fight to keep himself busy as the rest of the welterweight division gets resorted, so he can face the other strap holders in the division. There is a greater plan here.

ODLH is fighting Forbes for what? Oscar is not working on a greater plan here, these are his legacy years. Forbes does nothing for ODLH except give him some self-esteem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's no difference, cotto deserves a soft bout just as much as anyone else, but i put as much into cotto win over gomez as i will oscar beating forbes, nieither victory means very much, cotto is a bad mutha and has just as much of a chance of beating floyd or whoever as anyone else. Will he, i doubt it but beating gomez had no impression on that decision, some are acting like cotto just beat ali or something, margarito beating a much improved cintron was way more impressive. I don't think he' could beat floyd either though.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Erm,maybe the fact that Gomez is in Cotto's own weight class? Erm maybe because Cotto just fought Zab,Shane,Gomez and now Margarito,all decent-good fighters IN HIS OWN WEIGHT CLASS?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

Cotto vs. Gomez (April)
    Cotto vs. (October)

ODLH vs. Forbes (May)

It is acceptable for Cotto to take one easy fight to keep himself busy as the rest of the welterweight division gets resorted, so he can face the other strap holders in the division. There is a greater plan here.

ODLH is fighting Forbes for what? Oscar is not working on a greater plan here, these are his legacy years. Forbes does nothing for ODLH except give him some self-esteem.
    Wait...he is taking a warm up fight before he fights the p4p king Mayweather in a rematch to one of the biggest money making fights in history, yet he is not working on a greater plan? I guarantee you...there is not one fighter...Floyd included....that wouldn't love to be in Oscar's position. Plus, some of you can sit here and complain how you are not interested in Oscar vs. Floyd 2...but almost all of you will spend $60+ and watch the rematch. Love him, hate him, question some of the decisions of his fights...Oscar has as good a resume as any active fighter. He has also become a very successful business man...something very few fighters can claim in a brutal sport that exploits its fighters. On top of all that...he still is no pushover in the ring. Does he deserve to fight Floyd again? Maybe, maybe not. But it's a 2 way thing. Floyd is as much about the money as Oscar. They BOTH know the financial incentive involved in this fight...as do HBO, sponsors, etc, etc. So please don't just paint Oscar as the greedy villain. Boxing, as with any other professional sport, is as much about business/$$$ and spectacle, as it is about the actual sport. Is that a good thing? No. But it's a reality. You don't think Cotto would LOVE to fight Oscar?! Which leads me back to Cotto. I have no problem with him fighting an easy fight. He deserves a break after a great year. I just wouldn't invest too much praise in this fight. He simply took care of business. He did nothing to make me think he will beat a fighter of Mayweather's ability. Hope i'm wrong though.
    Last edited by zhubin; 04-14-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin View Post
    Because there are a lot of Oscar haters. Props to Cotto for doing what he was supposed to do...beat a severely over matched opponent. But this fight was nothing to get excited about. In all honesty...even with his improved jab...i don't see Cotto beating Floyd. Doesn't have the speed and is still prone to getting hit. Don't get me wrong...i like Cotto....he is an excellent fighter with a warrior mentality...and i would love to see him beat Mayweather. But i don't see it happening.
    Zhubin,
    I guess we are only 3 in here who don't see Cotto beating Mayweather. Everybody else sees Cotto winning, dominating, punishing, etc. Mayweather easily (I hope).
    Hey Chino , how you doing?
    Hey Macho! Hope your weekend was just fine.
    well Chino i have to say that ODLH he promoting and choose his fight , he knows with who want fight , but Cotto have his promoter , Bob Arum as you know and he cant choose with who want to fight , i understand your point , but since ODLH had been his own promoter , he created some doubts and incognitas of how is manage it the way of choosing opponents , I'm really don't differing about this fight with Forbes , he is going fight with a different opponent and he is good in his Div., do you know how Forbes had to move up for fight DLH ? , and why with PBF again ? that is what i try to mean , obviously the fight between Cotto/Gomez wasnt a real matchup , that is what i guess........
    Interesting points Macho. I somehow still imagine that a fighter, regardless of being self-promoted or not, can say "Nope, sorry, I want to face someone else." I brought this point up because lots of people hate ODLH to the gut and were crying about ODLH facing Forbes "Booo hooo, overmatched!...Booo hooo how can people dare themselves to watch such a terrible fight...Why not face someone who is more challenging?!...A real fighter doesn't get in the ring with someone like that..." but then we have Cotto facing someone similar and everybody suddenly thought it was the greatest thing out there.
    Killersheep,
    Of course he is working on a greater plan. After Forbes comes Mayweather. Cotto is doing the same. Of course, Margarito is nowhere close to Mayweather. So if you compare Cotto and ODLH. Both are facing a guy who is not as challenging but ODLH is facing someone who is waaaaaay better than Margarito so who's really facing a bigger challenge? I am puzzled everytime people also cry about ODLH vs Mayweather II. As if anybody else can come close to what ODLH did ending in a questionable split decision. I can understand people crying about Lewis vs Holyfield III or Mayweather vs Gatti II but ODLH vs Mayweather II is something different.
    some are acting like cotto just beat ali or something, margarito beating a much improved cintron was way more impressive. I don't think he' could beat floyd either though.
    Mar,
    Yeah, it was a victory that made him look good. Showed improvement in speed among other things but I guess anybody can show their "greatness" against lesser challenges. But yeah, I can't see Margarito and Cotto beat Mayweather as much as I really wish it happened. When the fight finally happenes between Cotto and Mayweather I will be glad I was wrong...but I find it difficult to see Cotto win.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Well Gomez was a junior middleweight who had had moderate success in the welterweight division and was naturally bigger than Cotto.

Forbes is a super featherweight who is half the size of De La Hoya.

It's a size mismatch.

Cotto did destory Gomez but Gomez was still a reasonable challenge. He went 1-1-1 with Feliciano who equipped himself well against Cintron and has wins over high profile stars in Gatti and Manfredo. He'd also beaten Tackie and Jesse Brinkley so he was an ok stay busy opponent.
    Pretty much. I'm not sure that Gomez was a reasonable challenge but at least he was a welter, Forbes is a much better P4P fighter than Gomez but he's tiny. He got pushed around at 147 by Grady Brewer, of course Oscar's gonna handle him.

Chino: "Zhubin,
    I guess we are only 3 in here who don't see Cotto beating Mayweather. Everybody else sees Cotto winning, dominating, punishing, etc. Mayweather easily (I hope). "

Do what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why are all these people saying they think PBF will win but they "hope" or "wish" he doesnt? It's getting old guy's,it's like your afraid to have a different opinion,scared you'll rock the boat and upset or get crucified by all the Cotto fans. It's ok to think PBF will win,you don't have to sneak in "but I hope he loses" at the end.

As for me I think PBF while crush Robo Cotto and I hope he does!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why are all these people saying they think PBF will win but they "hope" or "wish" he doesnt? It's getting old
    It's as old as all the topics that come out everyday saying that Mayweather is terrified to fight Cotto just like people used to say that Mayweather was terrified peeing his pants whenever the name "Margarito" was mentioned. Then it was Paul Williams and so on.
    it's like your afraid to have a different opinion, scared you'll rock the boat and upset or get crucified by all the Cotto fans
    If the very few of us in here were afraid to have a different opinion than we would jump the bandwagon and say "Oh yeah, Cotto will completely destroy Mayweather so easiy!"
    It's ok to think PBF will win,you don't have to sneak in "but I hope he loses" at the end.
    I don't sneak it in, I MEAN IT because I WANT TO SEE MAYWEATHER LOOSE CONVINCINGLY! I just can't see Cotto doing it and we have already mentioned all the reasons why.
    As for me I think PBF while crush Robo Cotto and I hope he does!
    Heheheh! Well, we'll see!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

Cotto vs. Gomez (April)
    Cotto vs. (October)

ODLH vs. Forbes (May)

Wait...he is taking a warm up fight before he fights the p4p king Mayweather in a rematch to one of the biggest money making fights in history, yet he is not working on a greater plan? I guarantee you...there is not one fighter...Floyd included....that wouldn't love to be in Oscar's position. Plus, some of you can sit here and complain how you are not interested in Oscar vs. Floyd 2...but almost all of you will spend $60+ and watch the rematch. Love him, hate him, question some of the decisions of his fights...Oscar has as good a resume as any active fighter. He has also become a very successful business man...something very few fighters can claim in a brutal sport that exploits its fighters. On top of all that...he still is no pushover in the ring. Does he deserve to fight Floyd again? Maybe, maybe not. But it's a 2 way thing. Floyd is as much about the money as Oscar. They BOTH know the financial incentive involved in this fight...as do HBO, sponsors, etc, etc. So please don't just paint Oscar as the greedy villain. Boxing, as with any other professional sport, is as much about business/$$$ and spectacle, as it is about the actual sport. Is that a good thing? No. But it's a reality. You don't think Cotto would LOVE to fight Oscar?! Which leads me back to Cotto. I have no problem with him fighting an easy fight. He deserves a break after a great year. I just wouldn't invest too much praise in this fight. He simply took care of business. He did nothing to make me think he will beat a fighter of Mayweather's ability. Hope i'm wrong though.
    What does Forbes have to do with the plan? ODLH can fight a broomstick and would still be on tap to fight Mayweather. The fact is that is the only time he is going to fight this year. Like I said Cotto was staying busy while some of the rest of the division got sorted, now he is lined up with Margarito which will be an exciting unification match. I did not call ODLH a greedy villain, I simply stated that the Forbes fight is a waste of time.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=Chino;498400]
    Killersheep,
    Of course he is working on a greater plan. After Forbes comes Mayweather. Cotto is doing the same. Of course, Margarito is nowhere close to Mayweather. So if you compare Cotto and ODLH. Both are facing a guy who is not as challenging but ODLH is facing someone who is waaaaaay better than Margarito so who's really facing a bigger challenge? I am puzzled everytime people also cry about ODLH vs Mayweather II. As if anybody else can come close to what ODLH did ending in a questionable split decision. I can understand people crying about Lewis vs Holyfield III or Mayweather vs Gatti II but ODLH vs Mayweather II is something different.
    [quote]

You can't tell me with a straight face that Forbes is waaaaaay better than Margarito. Come on now, he may be slick, and he has been robbed (against D-hop), but what did we learn in the D-hop fight, we learned that Forbes can be hit as often as he hits. That being said what's gonna happen fight night When ODLH walks in the ring at 160 (fully rehydrated) and Forbes is 149 (fully hydrated) Early KO. It's kind of funny because you have lumped me in with everyone in thinking Cotto would beat Mayweather, while quite on the contrary, I think Mayweather would outbox Cotto, en route to a UD. But back to the point at hand. I give ODLH crap about taking this fight because again IT IS THE ONLY FIGHT HE'S TAKING THIS YEAR.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the last 5 years Oscar has had 4 fights..

ALL main event, ALL for multi million dollars.

There's no such thing as a "stay busy" fight for Oscar, he isnt after any titles or any type of legacy, he is just making money off of his name for as long as his body lets him.

He shouldnt even be ranked imo. He has fought 4 times in the last 5 years how the heck is this guy ranked
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Thread Information