Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing club says no!

I managed to find the number to a local boxing club, and I phoned up to ask how much it would be to use the equipment and they said I couldn't join as it was full, unless I actually wanted to start boxing which is fair enough I guess but it just surprised me, I thought they would say to me come down and have a look around or something.

I really like the idea of boxing but I think I would be really terrible at taking shots to the face, although I would love to learn how to take care of myself, I guess it's a double edged sword.
    Last edited by Savoy1984; 04-15-2008 at 01:49 PM.
    Terrahawks! Stay on this channel! This is an emergency!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing club says no!

I went to the local gym and they told me to piss off basically lol...I only wanted to have a little blast on the pads ere and there and maybe some light sparring nothing serius...they wern't aving none of it lol.

They told me if you aint serius we don't you. Wich is as you say fair does
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is surprising to me. They obviously don't need any money and are focused more on fighters then fitness by the sounds of it. I just recently switched from a club, the long standing boxing club in my hometown to a new club about 3 months ago because under new management they had turned their focus more to fitness. Sure, they got a lot more people involved, but it ultimately was hurting me for sometimes I'd go months without even a spar, and even longer without santioned fights.

Since going to this new club where I sparr any time I want and usually 3+ times a week, it has improved my boxing skills A LOT. And I know for sure no one would get turned away here, regardless of their intent. As for taking on new people, every time I fight we get about 5 or 6 kids my age (13) who show up within a day or 2 after seeing my fights, and my trainer and the clubs owner just smiles wide and gives me another free month.

I wouldn't take it personally, and just go find another club. Who knows, you may just fall in love with boxing like so many of us have, or at worst you may get yourself in much better shape.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My gym in Japan has a fitness area upstairs that I dont think has ever been used.
    I went to join just for fitness but they basically told me to learn how to fight properly and get in the ring if I become good enough. So thats what I am doing ! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cpcompany View Post
    My gym in Japan has a fitness area upstairs that I dont think has ever been used.
    I went to join just for fitness but they basically told me to learn how to fight properly and get in the ring if I become good enough. So thats what I am doing ! lol
    yOU GO FOR IT ME FRIEND!Enjoy the moments because i asure you if you do it'll give you great confidents as well as fitness.I started boxing when i was 9-10 year old and i never looked back at the time!A great sport,great noble art!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy1984 View Post
    I managed to find the number to a local boxing club, and I phoned up to ask how much it would be to use the equipment and they said I couldn't join as it was full, unless I actually wanted to start boxing which is fair enough I guess but it just surprised me, I thought they would say to me come down and have a look around or something.

I really like the idea of boxing but I think I would be really terrible at taking shots to the face, although I would love to learn how to take care of myself, I guess it's a double edged sword.
    U'll find somewhere mate!Where abouts are you from?Im from the North-East of England and i went to me old boxing Gym after i left it back in the days and was welcomed back with open arms.And i only wanted to just train up again,it was no problem with them.Their have a good Pedigree in the gym as well but there still had time for people who wanted to take up the great sport as a hobbie!It might be a good idea to get yourself a good size punching bag for the mean time until you find the right gym.After all it'll give you some good practise.Good Luck!

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy1984 View Post

I could have been a contender, if they could not hit me back

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I was boxing, the guy that ran the gym was sick of weekend warriors who would turn up, lack the application or discipline to keep it up, get in everyone's way and waste whatever instruction he gave them.

I'm not saying that's what you are, but if you were to ring him a couple of times or just turn up and watch once or twice, he would probably think you really meant it and let you in?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In other words he thinks your a tourist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    When I was boxing, the guy that ran the gym was sick of weekend warriors who would turn up, lack the application or discipline to keep it up, get in everyone's way and waste whatever instruction he gave them.

I'm not saying that's what you are, but if you were to ring him a couple of times or just turn up and watch once or twice, he would probably think you really meant it and let you in?
    Really helpful stuff!Good advice,true too!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tins06 View Post
    I went to the local gym and they told me to piss off basically lol...I only wanted to have a little blast on the pads ere and there and maybe some light sparring nothing serius...they wern't aving none of it lol.

Which is your local gym?
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tins06 View Post

Which is your local gym?
    I've seen the video of the GWYNFI AMATEURS in south Wales.Good stuff!Im from the North-east of England and theres a fews Boxing Gyms here!The Gym i used to go to when i was a nipper closed down twice.The first time was before i was born(back in the 70s i think)then it reopened in the early 90s when i was 9 or 10 year old.I joined up straight away.It was propper old school in there.I mean everything was covered in dust and cob webs.It still had the old blood stains splatted on the wall and floor.It did'nt matter to me,thats the way i like it!You should of seen some of our fitness equipment in there.We had a plank of wood leening against the ropes at a angle to do sit ups on.Mind you,you ended up with wooden splinters embeded in your back,ha.The bloke who reopened it was a local guy called Herbie James,a really nice man and coach too.He owns a pub now around the corner from were the Gym was and still is now.In fact he is still involed in the scheme of the Gym to this day.I checked it out about two years ago and i was welcomed with open arms"which was nice".It looks nice with all of the new quality equipment and a new lick of paint.It brought on the good old memorys flooding back again!

"BOYS WELFARE ABC AMATEURE"in Hartlepool.
    Last edited by yvonne; 04-16-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Different Gyms have very different attitudes.. Some gyms have professional trainers that really just want to take on guys who want to compete, and rightfully don't have time for anyone else.

Other Gyms are more oriented to holding classes where ANYONE can come and join, whether they are coming for a day, or for the next 10 years...

Just try another Gym.. Boxing is a great sport to learn... Even if you don't like getting punched in the face, most gyms won't throw you into a situtation where your going to get punched in the face, unless your ready and willing (eventually you will be, and you'll welcome some glove to glove combat)..

If finding a good boxing gym fails, call your local police station, and they usually have places they train where it's open to public also..

Finally failing that, you can go to just a regular gym and see if they have any "boxersise" classes.. It's not completely boxing, but you'll pick up the basics and get very fit at the same time. Without much risk of getting punched in the face either,,, and then after that you may want to learn skills a little more seriously, and you can hook up with one of the more boxing oriented Gyms.

Thread Information