Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Jones Jr. or Calzaghe?

Voters
46. This poll is closed
  • Calzaghe

20 43.48%
  • Jones Jr.

26 56.52%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calzaghe or Jones Jr. Greatest SMW of all time

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe or Jones Jr. Greatest SMW of all time

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Calzaghe has made more defences of the SM division yes.
    As for him beating Roy Jones or James Toney , dont be silly
    a 43 year old Hopkins took him to a close verdict ,Lacy and Kessler are nothing compared to Jones and Toney.
    Calzaghe spent his prime fighting nobodies.

He is not an all time great , sorry Calzaghe fans but history will tell you this in years to come.
    He beat guy's like Toney and Hopkins in their primes at times when they were consider along some of the all time greats in that class. He was totally dominate. He would flat out embarrass people with his speed and power. Something Calzaghe only has one of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southakron314 View Post
    a 43 year old Hopkins took him to a close verdict ,Lacy and Kessler are nothing compared to Jones and Toney.

He is not an all time great , sorry Calzaghe fans but history will tell you this in years to come.
    He beat guy's like Toney and Hopkins in their primes at times when they were consider along some of the all time greats in that class. He was totally dominate. He would flat out embarrass people with his speed and power. Something Calzaghe only has one of.
    He beat Hopkins at mw..so got nothing to do with the thread. And Calzaghe had plenty of power but he has constant hand problems wich is why he slaps now..IMO that makes his reign more impressive considering what he has acheived with that problem.
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tins06 View Post

He beat Hopkins at mw..so got nothing to do with the thread. And Calzaghe had plenty of power but he has constant hand problems wich is why he slaps now..IMO that makes his reign more impressive considering what he has acheived with that problem.
    And Calzaghe "beat" Hopkins at Middle Weight so I guess that has nothing to do with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who has Calzaghe fought at super middle? What!! Lacy, Manfredo, Reid......come one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who has Calzaghe fought at super middle? What!! Lacy, Manfredo, Reid......come one.

dont forget mitchell

calzaghe fans tend to mention mitchell as an impressive win cuz he dropped calzaghe, they pretend mitchell is great so it makes calzaghe almost getting KOd by him seem less embarrassing

seriously, roy jones is one of the greatest of all time, calzaghe doesnt even know how to throw a punch and he lost to a 43 year old hopkins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones and Jc shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence. Jones is clearly the greater of the 2 fighters by a long margin too. JC won a close decision against a 43 yr old hopkins, imagine what a prime jones would do to him, never mind jones imagine what a prime hopkins would do to him , imoa
    THE SKY IS THE LIMIT NOT THE LIMIT IS THE SKY

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow I am really impressed with how close the judgement is on this one.

So if they fought now at 168 would it determine who is the greatest SMW of all time? Or is Jones too far past it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly. I think Joe is the most overrated fighter in recent memory. But i guess some people are impressed by his "flurries", "fast hands" or his underwhelming resume. I only wish he fought Roy at his prime...Jones would have embarrassed him. I have nothing against Joe personally...he seems like a nice guy. But aside from a past prime Eubanks (close fight) and a past prime Hopkins (close fight)...he hasn't fought a great opponent. So i don't care if you are 100-0. Ultimately a fighter is judged by his resume...and Joe's looks mighty thin. Whether that's his fault or not is beside the point. Sure, Roy fought a whole lot less at SMW...but he had the greater impact. By impact i mean we have never seen a fighter with his incredible athleticism or skills at that weight...or maybe any weight. Plus, even if Roy's biggest win was over a PRIME Toney...that is still a much bigger win than anyone Calzaghe fought at that weight.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones easily. I'm shocked the voting is so close. I didn't think there were that many idiots on this forum. Guess I was wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin View Post
    Exactly. I think Joe is the most overrated fighter in recent memory. But i guess some people are impressed by his "flurries", "fast hands" or his underwhelming resume. I only wish he fought Roy at his prime...Jones would have embarrassed him. I have nothing against Joe personally...he seems like a nice guy. But aside from a past prime Eubanks (close fight) and a past prime Hopkins (close fight)...he hasn't fought a great opponent. So i don't care if you are 100-0. Ultimately a fighter is judged by his resume...and Joe's looks mighty thin. Whether that's his fault or not is beside the point. Sure, Roy fought a whole lot less at SMW...but he had the greater impact. By impact i mean we have never seen a fighter with his incredible athleticism or skills at that weight...or maybe any weight. Plus, even if Roy's biggest win was over a PRIME Toney...that is still a much bigger win than anyone Calzaghe fought at that weight.
    Eubank planted Calzaghe on his ass. Roy Jones Jr knocking a guy down with a 40-5-1 record down three times and was never hit in a single round is more impressive than Calzaghes entire resume. Calzaghe would have ducked him back then. To me that is more impressive than a pitcher throwing a perfect game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NUCLEAR BULL View Post
    if you talk about calzaghe you have to talk about german legend sven ottka who made 21 world title defence at super middle and was undefeated just like joe, he's practicly the same as calzaghe except he held the much more recordnizied wba and ibf belts........he wanted a fight with joe to see who is the best but calzaghe turned it down, so in my opin you have to put him on the table.......... im not saying ottka is the best, but if joe is ranked that high then you must have ottka there to
    When you make blatant lies like this do you think people will actually believe you?

get your facts straight buddy before calling someone a lier IM A BIT DISSAPOINTED A PERSON WITH YOUR REP JUMPS THE GUN SO QUICKLY FENSTER BUT I QUESS THESE THINGS HAPPEN TO US ALL MATE..........CALZAGHE EVEN MENTIONES IT IN A RING MAGAZINE INTERVIEW THAT OTTKA WANTED A FIGHT BUT IN GERMAN WHILE JOE WANTED IT IN WALES, THERE BOTH HOME FIGHTER YOU UNDERSTAND

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if you talk about calzaghe you have to talk about german legend sven ottka who made 21 world title defence at super middle and was undefeated just like joe, he's practicly the same as calzaghe except he held the much more recordnizied wba and ibf belts........he wanted a fight with joe to see who is the best but calzaghe turned it down, so in my opin you have to put him on the table.......... im not saying ottka is the best, but if joe is ranked that high then you must have ottka there to
    When you make blatant lies like this do you think people will actually believe you?

get your facts straight buddy before calling someone a lier IM A BIT DISSAPOINTED A PERSON WITH YOUR REP JUMPS THE GUN SO QUICKLY FENSTER BUT I QUESS THESE THINGS HAPPEN TO US ALL MATE..........CALZAGHE EVEN MENTIONES IT IN A RING MAGAZINE INTERVIEW THAT OTTKA WANTED A FIGHT BUT IN GERMAN WHILE JOE WANTED IT IN WALES, THERE BOTH HOME FIGHTER YOU UNDERSTAND
    So how exactly does that mean Calzaghe was ducking Ottka? Cos thats what u implied! Sounds 2 me like he did'nt want 2 get robbed in Germany,like everybody did against Ottka,or any other German fighter! Funny how Kesslers names not been mentioned in the last few posts whan listing Joe's decent opponents! Nobodys comparing RJJ 2 Calzaghe talent wise,its about who did the better things at the weight,but that facts getting completly overlooked! Why let facts get in the way of a good fighter bash though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good thread

Joe Calzaghe

History will prove this

I would even rank Chong-Pal Park ahead of Jones in a list of all time great super-middleweights
    An What

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK Buster. As njackets said - how exactly does that mean Calzaghe was ducking powderpuff Ottke?

Ottke was making millions getting favourable decisions in Germany. Why would he fight Calzaghe?

Here's a few things for you -

BBC SPORT | Boxing | Ottke spurns Calzaghe

Even Ottke's trainer, Ulli Wegner, said Ottke DID NOT want to fight Calzaghe.

Whether you believe it or not here's a Warren quote - "We made two career high offers to Ottke's camp to fight in Germany, even though we'd seen what had happened with (Robin) Reid and (Charles) Brewer. Both were refused without any negotiation. That told me all I needed to know." - Frank Warren
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin View Post
    Eubank planted Calzaghe on his ass. Roy Jones Jr knocking a guy down with a 40-5-1 record down three times and was never hit in a single round is more impressive than Calzaghes entire resume. Calzaghe would have ducked him back then. To me that is more impressive than a pitcher throwing a perfect game.
    Well first of all it was Calzaghe who planted Eubank on his ass, your argument immediately collapses as you show yourself to be merely a Max Kellerman puppet and have never even seen the fight. Calzaghe dropped Eubank not the other way around.

Secondly, the question is 'who is the greatest supermiddleweight' ever and the clue is in the title.

It is CLEARLY Joe Calzaghe. He reigned longer at supermiddleweight longer than any other fighter. He had more defenses at supermidleweight than any other fighter. He won more belts at supermiddleweight than any other fighter. He was the only one to ever unify the suppermiddleweight division.
    He beat more Ring top 10 supermiddleweights than any other fighter.

So what your in effect saying is, ok Roy didn't win as many belts, he didn't make as many defenses, he didn't dominate the division for more than a decade, he didn't beat as many Ring top 10 middleweights, he didn't unify any title and he was never awarded the Ring belt for being the best supermiddleweight ever BUT in YOUR OPINION in a fictional matchup between the two Roy would have won IN YOUR OPINION so all of Joe's acomplishments don't matter.

Thread Information