one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Khan splits from trainer - OFFICIAL

Brave decision from Amir, here clearly has ambitions for stateside success.

If Roger Mayweather is indeed the front runner for the job that would be a great choice.

He needs to stay the fuck away from Manny Steward and Freddi Roach though as Roach will abandon him the next time there's a big training payday opportunity for him and Steward will take his talent and flush it down the toilet.

El Kabong Guest

Manny isn't taking any new fighters, Roach is too busy, and I would steer well clear of McGirt.

Roger has to be the lead candidate but ....what about Fenech, Bernstien, Merkerson, or someone else

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kahn better brush up on his language skills if he is to be training with Roger. I know he speaks english...but to Roger the word "fuck" has about 200 complex, different meanings depending on the situation.

I agree with Bilbo, Amir should avoid Steward or Roach like the plague.

I like to see him go with a guy like Jeff Mayweather, given a guy with Kahn's natural attributes I think he could really make something out of him.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So if indeed he has Roger Mayweather train him, does anyone know whether he plans to begin fighting in the states right away

El Kabong Guest

He should....he would be bigger than Hatton and Calzaghe if he did that for the plain reason that #1 the competition is better and #2 the fans here would see a lot of him before he reaches superstardom.

Amir Kahn professionally and financially would benefit a great deal by fighting in America.

Just my opinion

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He said on FNF at the Hopkins-Calzaghe weigh in that he's not going to wait to come to the states like Hatton and Calzaghe does. He said he was going to do it before he started fighting title fights. The right move imo.

El Kabong Guest

He'll win over more American fans that way

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    He'll win over more American fans that way
    Yeah but the British fans are more valuable anyways. I mean if you get to Hatton status you don't have to worry about not filling a building anywhere because Brits will travel. A while ago I worked at a Mexican food restaraunt in a fairly popular tourist destination of a town and whenever Brits would come in I would ask about boxing. All of them were very aware and one time one of them was even Don King's driver and later Carl King's bodyguard. But this was 3 years ago and they all knew Khan. So I imagine he's fairly popular over there.

El Kabong Guest

Well Kahn is on the boarder of being a full fledged champion soon enough. Once he has a title he can go back for a "homecoming" fight which will be HUGE and create a bigger following, especially if it's a fight vs Ricky Hatton which I would strongly suggest happening before Ricky calls it a career

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Well Kahn is on the boarder of being a full fledged champion soon enough. Once he has a title he can go back for a "homecoming" fight which will be HUGE and create a bigger following, especially if it's a fight vs Ricky Hatton which I would strongly suggest happening before Ricky calls it a career

I actually see khan becoming quite a decent LW and filling rickys shoes quite well once he retires to become a promoter. heck khan could actually go as far as 154 if he really wanted to.

Not a massive call for hatton-khan in britain though, both fairly likeable fellas fighting at different ends of their respective careers.

Now hatton-witter, thats a different story!!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good move by Khan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

some of the things i've heard about the way the split was done isn't really fair but i'm not suprised in anything team khan does, there seems to be a reall arrogance about the way khan goes about things these days

roger mayweather would be ideal in as much as style, he'd teach khan how to move out the way of punches and make him a all round more polished fighter.........however khan is already becomeing a total di@£head and being around the mayweather camp would most prob make him a bigger one

stewart, is a great trainer but has to many fighters and lacks the energy now to work effectively with them all

roach, another great trainer but does tent to take of on lenghthy camps with big name fighters but would improve khan greatly if they take there time and give up the world title shot later this year plan

buddy, good trainer, does seem to run out of ideas when things aren't going to well in a fight but again given time can help polish up mr arrogant khan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Brave decision from Amir, here clearly has ambitions for stateside success.

If Roger Mayweather is indeed the front runner for the job that would be a great choice.

He needs to stay the fuck away from Manny Steward and Freddi Roach though as Roach will abandon him the next time there's a big training payday opportunity for him and Steward will take his talent and flush it down the toilet.
    I duno if Roger is good for Amir . Kahn got to where he is doing things his way . Roger would tinker with his style and hes never gonna make Amir and Floyd type of fighter

When Stewart came onboard and tried to change Hamed, the Prince was never the same again . Kahn should learn the lesson .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I share the same concern as GAME. Khan seemed to settling into an effective style and sitting down more on his punches. A new trainer would have to be careful not to try and re-invent the wheel with Khan but rather build on what he's got.

There are still flaws though... Khan still gets caught with he right a lot so maybe a new trainer with a fresh outlook can iron out some of the flaws. I just hope the change has been brought about for improvement and not any reasons of arrogance.
    'To speak with his equal and irish man is forced to talk with God...'

Thread Information