Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joan Guzman - Yuriorkis Gamboa

Guzman is without a doubt the most underrated fighter in boxing today and in a long time. Some of that is his fault with injuries and pulling out of a couple fights but how come his name never comes up? I didn't get to catch the Soto fight live and only caught sections of it after that on replay during dinner at family's house.

I would like to see this guy against ALL the top guys and nobody would walk over him, he has the potential to beat them all. I wouldn't argue against it. But let's face it, Guzman's shot at Pac is lost. No way Arum puts Pacquiao in with Guzman after he saw what Guzman did to Soto, no way. The more I think about it the more I think Guzman takes it.

I posted earlier about Khan-Guzman and while that's ridiculous imo, maybe Guzman and Gamboa isn't. People are very high on Gamboa and he's obviously being set up for a title shot sometime soon. I would like to see Gamboa against Jiminez first but no doubt this is a great fight.

Gamboa would probably be the bigger guy, might be just as fast as Guzman is a sharp offensive minded fighter with great slickness himself. Still, Guzman might have the best body control in boxing. He is more Pernell Whitaker then Floyd is imo.

I'm honestly not sure who wins but it is an amazing match up of talent. I really hope we see this one day.
    Last edited by amat; 04-29-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joan Guzman - Yuriorkis Gamboa

I know this opinion won't be popular but i think people are making way way to much out of this kid. Now i agree in the fights this guy has been in he's looked awesome, maybe even a little better than that, but he's only 9-0 and hasn't really fought anyone who can even get past the hype of gamboa let alone actually giving him a good fight. There are so many things we don't know about this kid for him to be mentioned in the group of company he has so early. (Not talk on this forumn just talk in general) To me he's like lebron james was in high school, he's almost seems like a sure bet to be a star one day, but i'd really like to see him in a real fight before he's handed a title shot just on potential.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    I know this opinion won't be popular but i think people are making way way to much out of this kid. Now i agree in the fights this guy has been in he's looked awesome, maybe even a little better than that, but he's only 9-0 and hasn't really fought anyone who can even get past the hype of gamboa let alone actually giving him a good fight. There are so many things we don't know about this kid for him to be mentioned in the group of company he has so early. (Not talk on this forumn just talk in general) To me he's like lebron james was in high school, he's almost seems like a sure bet to be a star one day, but i'd really like to see him in a real fight before he's handed a title shot just on potential.
    I kind of agree. I think his next fight against Darling Jiminez (who's a good fighter) should be a good indicator on how good a fighter he really is

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    I kind of agree. I think his next fight against Darling Jiminez (who's a good fighter) should be a good indicator on how good a fighter he really is
    I agree with this two and just for clarification, I'm talking about down the line with this matchup. Who knows how far though, maybe after Jiminez if he looks good enough.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its funny that you mention these two together amat because Gamboa's attitude reminds me a lot of Guzman at the same stage of his career. For a guy with less than 10 fights he's got that 'how are you think you could challenge me' sort of attitude & thats how I remember Guzman being. You could see the potential in Guzman as you can see it in Gamboa now!

As for the two fighting I would have to favor Guzman at this stage as he'd be more seasoned in the pro game & his defense is on par with Mayweathers IMO.

I would really prefer to see Guzman face Marquez. I mean Marquez ain't getting a Pacquiao rubber match straight away so why not fight the best competition out there like Guzman to try & strengthen his own legacy.

I'm really amazed more people aren't calling for a Marquez/ Guzman fight!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Gamboa is a great talent. I can't wait to see his up coming HBO fight
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Guzmans an incredibly talented fighter but he can be beat as shown by Barrios (I had Barrios winning) but a conventional fighter wont beat him. I picked Soto to beat him cause hes also a talented fighter but Guzman was more effective and elusive. Mostly because Soto couldnt adapt. Pac imo would probably be the toughest fight out there for Guzman. I think Guzman is a bit too experienced now for Gamboa though Gamboa will go on to have a more sucessful career down the line.

As for Marquez-Guzman, I dont know why but that fight doesnt really interest me. not sure why cause it does make sence and I like both fighters.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    Guzmans an incredibly talented fighter but he can be beat as shown by Barrios (I had Barrios winning) but a conventional fighter wont beat him. I picked Soto to beat him cause hes also a talented fighter but Guzman was more effective and elusive. Mostly because Soto couldnt adapt. Pac imo would probably be the toughest fight out there for Guzman. I think Guzman is a bit too experienced now for Gamboa though Gamboa will go on to have a more sucessful career down the line.

As for Marquez-Guzman, I dont know why but that fight doesnt really interest me. not sure why cause it does make sence and I like both fighters.
    You had Barrios winning? I'm sorry but I disagree completely and Barrios is one of my favorite fighters. I ordered that PPV with Barrera-Juarez, that was a great fight but I had Guzman winning 9 rounds to 3 and thought the judging was awful. Barrios recieved a masterclass and aside from the last round and a couple rounds in the middle that Guzman took off I didn't think it was close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never really seen Pac fight someone who uses the ring as an advantage before. Guzman has an awesome defense and excellent footwork. I remember he calls himself the "lil' Mike Tyson",.. but actually he's more like the "lil' PBF" imo. He traded punches with Soto in round 3, but evidently he didn't get tag with Soto's best shot. He made Soto fought his kind of fight and got him frustrated in late rounds with the pop-n-run strategy.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft View Post
    I've never really seen Pac fight someone who uses the ring as an advantage before. Guzman has an awesome defense and excellent footwork. I remember he calls himself the "lil' Mike Tyson",.. but actually he's more like the "lil' PBF" imo. He traded punches with Soto in round 3, but evidently he didn't get tag with Soto's best shot. He made Soto fought his kind of fight and got him frustrated in late rounds with the pop-n-run strategy.
    Guzman spent a good part of the Soto fight standing toe to toe on the inside with Soto, he had the faster hands and got the best of nearly every exchange. He didn't move half as much that fight as he did the Barrios fight because he had two healthy hands to work with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft View Post
    Guzman spent a good part of the Soto fight standing toe to toe on the inside with Soto, he had the faster hands and got the best of nearly every exchange. He didn't move half as much that fight as he did the Barrios fight because he had two healthy hands to work with.
    Hmmm.. in that case..

I wish he would also go toe to toe with Pac and see who goes down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight would be interesting, but at this point I think Guzman wins this... Gamboa is too technically flawed right now to beat Guzman. Gamboa is faster, stronger, hits harder, but he loops a lot of punches whihc Guzman won't have trouble defending, and though Guzman isn't exactly the textbook offensive fighter, Gamboa leaves his chin wide open for counters.

As for Guzman using footwork, I just don't see it, he usually is slick stays inside, and counters his opponent like James Toney. Gamboa can fight both going forwards and going backwards, people forget he is an amazing amateur fighter that definitely has the edge in footwork in this fight. That being said for the reasons I mentioned above Gamboa's clear physical advantages won't make up for his lack of finese against another good athlete in Guzman...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watch Guzman's footwork versus Barrios when he had the hurt hand and had to use his feet for most of the fight. Or watch versus Fernando Beltran where he uses a lot of footwork. Also, even when he doesn't move his feet a lot he still uses his feet to position himself for angles. He doesn't use it much but that doesn't mean he doesn't have it.

And I wouldn't automatically assume Gamboa is faster in the hands or feet, there is no way to tell unless they are in the ring against one another but whoever has the advantage it isn't by much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post

You had Barrios winning? I'm sorry but I disagree completely and Barrios is one of my favorite fighters. I ordered that PPV with Barrera-Juarez, that was a great fight but I had Guzman winning 9 rounds to 3 and thought the judging was awful. Barrios recieved a masterclass and aside from the last round and a couple rounds in the middle that Guzman took off I didn't think it was close.
    I thought it was a very close fight and i think I had Barrios by a point. No doubt Guzman looked sharper and is flashier but that didnt win rounds. Barrios pressed many of the rounds and Guz didnt do enough to win some of the close rounds. Ill have to go back and watch the fight though. I also thought Soto won more rounds than many people thought, though Guzman clearly won the fight impressively.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought the Barrios fight was closely contested but had Guzman winning by 2 or 3 rounds at least.

As for Guzman/ Marquez there is huge potential for this fight IMO. If Pacquiao decides to compete solely at 135 & relinquishes the Ring championship which is more than likely since he was starting to have trouble making the 130 pound limit; then a Guzman/ Marquez clash would be for the vacant championship. Pitting the #1 & #2 guys in the division against each other. It doesn't get much better than that
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Thread Information