Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How did Tyson even survive...

Let alone dominate the heavyweight division? I mean, if you look at him size wise on paper, he should've gotten murdered. 5'11", 71" reach isn't exactly optimal heavyweight measurables, and while it's a known fact that he was quick and had good punching power, you'd think he would've just been peppered with jabs and never got inside of anyone.

Does anyone have a solid explaination for this? Because it really leaves me scratching my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How did Tyson even survive...

Iron Mike has incredible POWER to WEIGHT ratio, speed, and his overall boxing skills is one of the best IMO.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watch him fight..... He was incredibly stocky and thick, yet had extremely good reflexes, body control, head movement and hand speed. His height and reach were only a disadvantage when he was sitting on the outside, which in his prime was not often. He relied on steadily moving forward, weaving and using his own jab to close the distance, and once he got inside his build was completely to his advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The era of the super heavyweights did not begin until the late 90's

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Primal instincts and top notch reflexes and speed.Also the influences of Cus,Teddy.That era of Heavys was clutter waiting for a bad ass with a broom.His stubby legs were like coiled steel,springing under most guys early on and leaving them detached from there senses.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aburwell89 View Post
    Let alone dominate the heavyweight division? I mean, if you look at him size wise on paper, he should've gotten murdered. 5'11", 71" reach isn't exactly optimal heavyweight measurables, and while it's a known fact that he was quick and had good punching power, you'd think he would've just been peppered with jabs and never got inside of anyone.

Does anyone have a solid explaination for this? Because it really leaves me scratching my head.
    Well being shorter he could get underneath the punches and come up and land those devastating hooks, his head movement was excellent i mean just watch one of his early fights when he makes this one guy miss about 8 punches in a row then he counters and KO's the other guy. Tyson also had very quick hands so he could rattle off quick combo's and then get back to his bob and weave defense. Also just look at his body shape he is stocky and naturally very big man, when he was about 15 he was close to 200 pounds, plus it was his perfect punching technique along with his amazing speed that contributed to his power. And it also has to be said that the division at that time was one of the weakest in history.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Just watch him fight..... He was incredibly stocky and thick, yet had extremely good reflexes, body control, head movement and hand speed. His height and reach were only a disadvantage when he was sitting on the outside, which in his prime was not often. He relied on steadily moving forward, weaving and using his own jab to close the distance, and once he got inside his build was completely to his advantage.
    he was really fast and had extremely good head movement.

ICB Guest

Wrong Topic nvm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because in his prime he never doubted himself. Boxing IS aound 90% mental and if you break a man mentally, physically he will break down too. He imposed his will on his opponents and made them fold by his ruthlessness. Dempsey had a similar attitude in the ring. Whats sad is most heavyweights today only fight as good as the guy in front him and do just enough to get by but dont have the Tyson mentality.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you ever watch his early days the answer is right on the screen.

His neck was so thick he absorbed punches well, he was fast and had great head movement, his combination punching was superb and the guy could hit like a tank.

He had a longer reach then Marciano and was stockier so you might as well ask how did Rocky go undefeated?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The peek a boo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    The peek a boo.
    It's interesting you bring that up, and really makes me wonder if the art was truly lost with Cus.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The peek a boo.
    It's interesting you bring that up, and really makes me wonder if the art was truly lost with Cus.
    Don't think it is lost just not all the time a guy comes along in the heavyweight ranks who has the ability and the build to employ the style. Floyd Patterson and Mike Tyson just don't walk through the door very often. But that is the reason Tyson was able to take what were seemingly disadvantages and work them to his advantage that's exactly why the style was created so that's the answer to your question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The peek a boo.
    There are plenty of trainers who know the style I am sure. Maybe not all as good as Cus D'amato or Kevin Rooney teach it but all in all the style is a simple one really, though effective.

The Peek-a-boo style is not a style meant for all fighters though, you must have a certain build, you can not be a big guy. It is more for smaller compact fighters to use effectively.

Floyd Patterson used it but his was a variation though, he would often leap from a crouch to get maximum power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Put Em' Up View Post
    The peek a boo.
    There are plenty of trainers who know the style I am sure. Maybe not all as good as Cus D'amato or Kevin Rooney teach it but all in all the style is a simple one really, though effective.

The Peek-a-boo style is not a style meant for all fighters though, you must have a certain build, you can not be a big guy. It is more for smaller compact fighters to use effectively.

Floyd Patterson used it but his was a variation though, he would often leap from a crouch to get maximum power.
    That's what I was thinking. Considering that most people who fight in the heavyweight division don't fall into that overall build, it's pretty understandable that you don't see it much anymore.

Thread Information