Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default power

how do i train my son to develop power in his punches? Please excuse me but i noticed
    that this question has already been addresed thank you very much.

Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â RIDEORDIE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: power

heavy bag and weights, but with power comes size and with size you get sluggish, so its best to find a happy medium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you so much

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    with size you get sluggish
    I know lots of people think that, and I suppose in extreme cases, it's true; especially if the size is more fat than muscle. But some people think that just because you weight 225 you're too big to be fast. That's not always the case. Distance runners are thin. Sprinters are muscular and usually a little on the bulky side.

Muscle is what makes you move, and the more of it you have, the more powerful it is. If your muscles are developed properly, and you train to develop proper technique and muscle memory, you can be fast and powerful. I know my jab feels very fast compared to a lot of boxers that I've seen. And with a single quick jab, I can make my 70 lb. bag go flying like nobody's business.

I'm not a boxer as much as a combat sport enthusiast and I haven't sparred with a live opponent in a long time so I'm no expert in this area. But if you want to see some real speed and power from a "heavyweight", check out somebody like Vitor Belfort from the UFC.... unbelievable handspeed and knock out power from a guy that weighs around 225.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B
    Muscle is what makes you move, and the more of it you have, the more powerful it is.
    Bullshit.

Bodybuilder's carry more muscle than anybody else on Earth and we all know that they can hardly stand up, let alone burst into a sprint.

Plyometric's and Olympic Lifting builds speed and power, not Bodybuilding (Bodybuilding is just image not performance!).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DD
    Muscle is what makes you move, and the more of it you have, the more powerful it is.
    Bulls***.

Bodybuilder's carry more muscle than anybody else on Earth and we all know that they can hardly stand up, let alone burst into a sprint.

Plyometric's and Olympic Lifting builds speed and power, not Bodybuilding (Bodybuilding is just image not performance!).
    Somehow I knew somebody was going to completely take my comments out of context... If you read my post, nowhere did I mention anything about body building or olympic lifting. And a "heavyweight" bodybuilder or Olympic powerlifter is very different than a heavyweight boxer. And if you lookeven closer, you'll see that I was talking about being "a little on the bulky side". And then, to further clarify that I was NOT talking about extremes (like a 350 pound beast that can barely bend his knees like Bob Sapp), I even went as far as to mention a reasonable weight which was 225 pounds. That's around Tyson's average fighting weight in his prime and I think most would agree his hands were pretty fast.

I'd say that a 225 pound fighter with proper training could give most lightweights a run for their money in terms of speed and I bet he could take a punch from a lightweight better than the lightweight could from him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bulls***.

WOULD YOU CARE TO ELOBORATE ON YOUR COMMENT?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At the risk of sounding sarcastic- which is not my intent- the very best plan would be to never say words like "power" and "handspeed" near where he is training. Use terms like "loose", "don't put anything on it" and so on. Honest to God, the keys to the bus are agility and flexibilty not muscle mass and what ever else. Watch the fights and fighters; as a guy adds muscle his technique declines as he begins to punch by swinging those heavy arms. Power based on proper technique lasts, heavy arms get harder to swing etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bulls***.

i beg to differ DD.
    ive been a bodybuilder for around 2 years now, i weight 200lb and fight as a heavyweight in amatuer.
    i can keep up with the handspeed of the heavyweights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by alex w
    Bulls***.

i beg to differ DD.
    ive been a bodybuilder for around 2 years now, i weight 200lb and fight as a heavyweight in amatuer.
    i can keep up with the handspeed of the heavyweights
    Yeah mate but look at ppl like ronnie coleman and i think its ray cuttler and lee priest they are all body builders and they break out in a sweat just trying to walk to the mail box.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jay cutler, but close.
    these guys are also bodybuilders, but they are different. they are unnecesarily big in size, ronniecoleman weights 400lb in his off season.

also, did you know lee preist used to be a sprinter?

if you want proof that big guys can be fast, look at the royal marine commandos (navy seals if your american) the guys are fookin massive, how many of you would say they were slow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jay cutler, but close.
    these guys are also bodybuilders, but they are different. they are unnecesarily big in size, ronniecoleman weights 400lb in his off season.

if you want proof that big guys can be fast, look at the royal marine commandos (navy seals if your american) the guys are fookin massive, how many of you would say they were slow?
    Yeah ray thats it . Lee preist is an aussie i think. My dad is really into all that body building stuff. You know all those good body builders were fucking huge, dorian yates had a back that would probably make any normal man fall over, ronnie coleman just needs to stay off the fucking steroids coz his arms and chest are fucking huge, lee preist isnt as bad but i think he should of won mr olympia at least once coz he was huge but he was short.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakey
    jay cutler, but close.

Yeah ray thats it . Lee preist is an aussie i think. My dad is really into all that body building stuff. You know all those good body builders were f***ing huge, dorian yates had a back that would probably make any normal man fall over, ronnie coleman just needs to stay off the f***ing steroids coz his arms and chest are f***ing huge, lee preist isnt as bad but i think he should of won mr olympia at least once coz he was huge but he was short.
    yeah
    dorian yates is great, i got his autograph ages back. hardcore english dude that diddnt smile.
    you know that hattons gym approve the supplements that dorian yates created?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakey
    jay cutler, but close.

Yeah ray thats it . Lee preist is an aussie i think. My dad is really into all that body building stuff. You know all those good body builders were f***ing huge, dorian yates had a back that would probably make any normal man fall over, ronnie coleman just needs to stay off the f***ing steroids coz his arms and chest are f***ing huge, lee preist isnt as bad but i think he should of won mr olympia at least once coz he was huge but he was short.
    yeah
    dorian yates is great, i got his autograph ages back. hardcore english dude that diddnt smile.
    you know that hattons gym approve the supplements that dorian yates created?
    All i know about dorian is he won mr olympia heaps and his back was freakishly huge.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does anyone know what product of the Dorian Yates ranges that Hatton's gym use? Or is it all sponsored to sell?

Thread Information