Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
The main concern mate is that you will burn out before a fight/tournament, theres a lot of debate over whether this is mainly mental or physical but it is defently both. You will reach a point where you think you are in the best shape, this can be the turning point for you. If this is not a week before the fight your likely to burn, simply because you have now created an excuse for yourself.

You might now start missing out on that run in the morning or night thinking "I'm in the best shape i've ever been I can just miss this one", but this is just the start. You then start extending your cheat days to two meals a week, etc. Before you know it you have cheated yourself out of your hard work.

Now you ask how do I stop this from happening? Take a week (or half) of intense training off, use it to practise technique solely. If after this week you have a passion to hit the road again, you have not peaked but rather given your body good rest to then get to the next level. But however if you do not have this fire, you need to keep resting and keep practising that technique. The technique work will keep you in shape, without draining you with the monotony of conditioning.

The key is knowing when to rest, I highly suggest you take a break for a few days, keep eating right and see where you are at. Worst case scenario you give your body a break for a couple of days and come back a monster. Hope this helps buddy, I wish I had known this when I was younger, would have saved me a lot of injuries.
Rep for that. Even on the days you rest, you should still practice, run, or do something to work technique. Because those days where you pretty much don't do anything but relax can become downright addicting.