Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Wrist pains..

Ok, so before I get started I'll state I'm a begginner boxer within my first/second week pretty much.

Anyway, recently when hitting the heavy bag I'm getting pains upon impact in my wrist. This only occurs when I throw right hooks. I wear gloves, but not wraps. Is this a case of me not wearing wraps or am I throwing the punch wrong? I've never really knew how to throw one, should your knuckles connect horizontal or vertical with the bag? Thanks for any help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Wrist pains..

I can almost garuntee you your turning your knuckles in before impact

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    I can almost garuntee you your turning your knuckles in before impact
    Thus making you limp-wristed.

haha sorry Joey, couldn't resist that one. Given you're so new you def. need to allow for these sort of aches and pains. Your wrists will strengthen. No harm in wrapping up at all, and not a bad idea if you feel you may hurt yourself. Think about how you're hitting the bag also, as in...is it swinging back hard to you when you hit it, and a certain way.

Just a few hours ago, my dad pulls out some new focus pads he bought for me. Sweet! right. Seconds later in the kitchen decide to try them out, bare-handed. Less then 10 swings and I take a hook at a pad, miss and drilled a corner of the wall. Thought I broke my knuckle. Lucky I didn't, but tore a nice chuck of flesh out. Best to be equipped at all times.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry Joey, I missed one of your questions. The horizontal or vertical deal. You will be throwing a number of punches as a boxer. All of which will hopefully be landing at different angles. So no, don't sweat that much. Is more about the mechanics of the delivery. That's what we all work on I believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyUK View Post
    Ok, so before I get started I'll state I'm a begginner boxer within my first/second week pretty much.

Anyway, recently when hitting the heavy bag I'm getting pains upon impact in my wrist. This only occurs when I throw right hooks. I wear gloves, but not wraps. Is this a case of me not wearing wraps or am I throwing the punch wrong? I've never really knew how to throw one, should your knuckles connect horizontal or vertical with the bag? Thanks for any help.
    I had the same kind of problems which I mentioned in my log, although I was wearing wraps.
    My problem was that I was putting too much wrapping on my palms and the wrap was also too tight on my thumbs. Therefore I wasnt making a tight enough fist which was putting pressure on my wrists when throwing punches. This was only 50% of the problem and the other 50% was just getting used to throwing a lot of hard punches. Give it a few more weeks and I can guarantee your hands and wrists will get used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Get some wraps! and also make sure you are connecting with your punches correctly...

Through bad form and no wraps when I first started heavy bag training, my wrists sufferend permanent damage....

Really make sure you have perfect form and don't punch to hard unless you've got your wrists protected

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the help everyone. After some analzing hitting the bag without gloves on last night I noticed I am indeed leaning my wrists in on the right hooks, mostly when I stand south paw.. I guess I need to remember to lean more when I'm standing south. I'll probably buy some wraps also, i'm joining a good gym some time soon, a gym where ex world champion Glenn Catley (not sure on the spelling) trained and coaches now. So I guess it's best to have all preparation.

Thanks again everyone.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyUK View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone. After some analzing hitting the bag without gloves on last night I noticed I am indeed leaning my wrists in on the right hooks, mostly when I stand south paw.. I guess I need to remember to lean more when I'm standing south. I'll probably buy some wraps also, i'm joining a good gym some time soon, a gym where ex world champion Glenn Catley (not sure on the spelling) trained and coaches now. So I guess it's best to have all preparation.

Thanks again everyone.
    Yea bud, this is what it is all about. You can get all the advice and knowledge in the world from the internet, but it will collectively pale in comparison to what you are going to learn at a gym. And if you have a good gym, that much better.

Good thing to remember though, is to be patient. You aren't going to turn into some awesome boxer in a month. You pay your dues. You feel the hurt of the workouts. You eventually spar when you're ready. You get your ass kicked around a bit. But you learn. Each and every time, repetative as it sometimes will seem, you'll be learning. And if you stick to it, some time down the road you'll be in there sparring and kicking some ass, and realize you now got technique, and say to yourself...."holy crappola. I think I made it." And it's a great feeling.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You shouldn't probably buy wraps mate... even if you can get away without them for now I guarantee that it will come back and haunt you in the future... could be months of could be years but trust me, it will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

God my left wrist has always been "weak" and always given me grief, it runs in the family. Its really come to a head lately though, but strangely enough ONLY on left hooks. Even when I wear 12oz gloves I can feel it, ( im 70kg lean) but. this is only left hook, strange.

Thread Information