Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when is it appropriate to score a round 10-10???

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile when is it appropriate to score a round 10-10???

Something that ive always really wanted to know

Many a time ive been watching a boxing contest and seen 2 evenly opposed fighters trade punch for punch and the two virtually be inseprable on shots landed, thrown etc only for a judge to award the round either way.

For example, boxer A throws 54 lands 15, boxer B throws 56 lands 14 - Am i right in believing this should naturally be considered a 10-10 round as neither fighter gained on the other??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: when is it appropriate to score a round 10-10???

More judges need to start using the 10-10 rounds again. If you notice Teddy Atlas uses it ofter, but it always throws is score off from the official score.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never, ever score a round even. Even if you have to want to give an even round think of a reason why you should not such as who is the champion, who is the aggressor, who punches have better quality, who has the better shorts! Anything but a level round!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Never, ever score a round even. Even if you have to want to give an even round think of a reason why you should not such as who is the champion, who is the aggressor, who punches have better quality, who has the better shorts! Anything but a level round!
    Pretty much agree here.I have always tried to break a round down by the minute to minute.Hard to come up even there ,although you can not loose sight of the whole of the round.Just a bit indecisive with a ten-ten but there are some rounds where you just throw your hands up they seem that close.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

with Vegas scoring you have to pick a winner.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    Pretty much agree here.I have always tried to break a round down by the minute to minute.Hard to come up even there ,although you can not loose sight of the whole of the round.Just a bit indecisive with a ten-ten but there are some rounds where you just throw your hands up they seem that close.

surely its more subjective though to just score a 50/50 round even

I pretty much am asking this question on the back of re-watching hamed-barrera...

early on neither guy threw or landed anything and you could be fooled for believing it was a heavyweight contest and not 2 world class feathers.

Think there was a certain round where nothing in particular happened and the landed count was like 7-8 yet still all 3 judges felt it neccesary to award the round to either guy.

that cant be right can it

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That one is easy, just go with MAB since everyone hates Naz Now give me a harder one or a better example

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That one is easy, just go with MAB since everyone hates Naz Now give me a harder one or a better example

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When both fighters land the same number of punches, the same kind of punches, have the exact same effect with their punches, show the same ring generalship, ect. In other words, ALMOST NEVER.

10-10 rounds is the product of incredibly lazy and uneducated judging IMO

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Definitely there are even rounds and forcing you to judge in favor of one there just because it's the rule just doesn't seem to do justice to the fighters. I'll even go a step forward, I'd score an closely fought round a draw if I had the choice. That will take away the possibility of a bias, and besides I think a fighter should clearly take the round to win it.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

ICB Guest

I tend to give 10-10 rounds in feeling out rounds when both fighters are just warming up trying to find there rhythm/range etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I only score a round 10-10 when it's an incredibly slow and tactical round where neither fighter lands anything of significance. In other words, when neither fighter does anything to deserve winning the round.

When it's a close back and forth round with tons of action, I don't score it even, I feel obligated to declare someone the winner of the round.

I'm not saying that's the right way to do it, it's just how I do it.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    I only score a round 10-10 when it's an incredibly slow and tactical round where neither fighter lands anything of significance. In other words, when neither fighter does anything to deserve winning the round.

When it's a close back and forth round with tons of action, I don't score it even, I feel obligated to declare someone the winner of the round.

I do the same, the only time I score an even round is if in the round both fighters didn't throw much and I can pretty much remember the round punch by punch...
    No matter what I ALWAYS try to score a round 1 way or another.

I rarely score rounds even. Rarely...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unless a round was won by a specific margin, id be inclined to score it even.

For me its not just about who won the round, its also a case of ''did he do enough to credit the win''.

Calzaghe - Hopkins is a good example where there were 2 or 3 rounds were all you got to score on was scrappy, jittery action with mostly partially scoring punches. No on took charge or gained an advantage in those rounds so for me its very easy to score those rounds as 10-10.

I wouldn't be the sort of judge who takes one fighter's 'shoe-shine' and deems it better than the other guy's single hard right hand. To me thats a bullshit round where both guys didn't do enough. Even round.

*Edit*

He said it better
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 05-27-2008 at 10:02 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thats kinda the mindset i was coming from

A back and forth hellish round doesnt do any justice if you declare it 10-10 which is virtually no advantage to either.

If however as i said in my original post, said boxers throw hardly nothing all round yet one guy has that 1-2 extra landed shots surely the right thing to do is just declare the round even stevens

This should be common practice right

Thread Information